+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Outlaws 'Android' from The App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple has finally gone and done it. They've laid down the law. Really. Never again will the word "Android" be permitted within the hallowed digital walls of the App Store.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Outlaws 'Android' from The App Store

Apple has finally gone and done it. They've laid down the law. Really. Never again will the word "Android" be permitted within the hallowed digital walls of the App Store.

Hey, at least this time Apple is actually being up front and perfectly clear about what's rubbing them the wrong way. Usually we're left left guessing why a particular app is rejected or ignored for months on end in "application purgatory."

But thanks to the hard-learned lesson from Tim Novikof, the genius behind the "Flash of Genius" app, now developers everywhere know not to use the word Android - not in the app's title and not in the app's description. From the looks of it, just thinking of the word "Android" could prevent an app from gaining approval.

Apparently "Android" is a four-letter word in Cupertino.
    In case you're wondering, Novikof simply submitted his app to Apple with an innocuous reference to how well it fared in Google's Android Developer Challenge. But Apple wasn't having any of it. Indeed, they mean business this time. And although it's no secret that Google is a competitor more than an immediate threat to Cupertino's titans of technology, Apple is plainly eager to implement the old "out of sight, out of mind" strategy for its App Store. And, as a result, don't expect to see any references to "Android" ever again.

Ever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

MXHYPRiD (02-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Hahahaha I knew it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just downloaded iDroid Mini Browser and it clearly says the a-word in its description.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I honestly don't get WHAT THE HECK this post is talking about. I downloaded the iDroid browser yesterday after reading a review (on THIS site). Today I was prompted for the update to 2.0. It's STILL in the App store. It's still free.

Is the poster of this thread just trying to stir up #$%@, are they delusional, or do they just have no idea what they're talking about??? MMI, you really should have writers who know a little bit, no...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to edge777 For This Useful Post:

iRide (02-06-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I want google to surpass Apple i am only stuck with apple b/c of iphone apps and cracked apps that i can get for free lol...

go google this shows apple know that they will be down in coming years its just matter of time google kicks iphone ***..
    No signature links or spam... only warning

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

It's not about idroid

9. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

johnr9412 (08-04-2010)

Thanks

Hi Edge777!

Thanks for your post. I'm not making anything up here. Apple gave the developer a clear answer on this one. No use of the word "Android" will be permitted in his app's description. Deduced from that, of course, is a policy that could be applied throughout the app approval process for everyone. And while it sounds similar, "iDroid" isn't "Android" so that's probably why Apple hasn't yanked the word from the mini browser. Thanks again for the post.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for your politeness, and I get that this isn't exactly talking about the iDroid app, but it was kinda written to seem like it was. That being said, does it really matter if Apple doesn't allow a certain name? I can totally understand that, as it would cause confusion in the branding. No real story here.

Thanks

The whole concept of "news" can be hazy when it comes to Apple. This is, however, significant information to the many developers that roam these boards. Knowing to lay low on the A-word just might help someone get their app through a little faster or more efficiently. In general, the more we know about Apple and what they're thinking and feeling in Cupertino, the better we can make sense of their actions in other situations.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Horray for intolerance!!!

...if only we could change our screen names
    Last edited by ifonemaniac; 02-06-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Haha, **** Apple. I hope they burn bad. Good hardware, poor software.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

gone too far, in my opinion...

If anything if I were apple, I would want android stuff avaliable, because some people may buy an android phone for the stff thats available on the appstore, well was

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This just p***es me off. Apple and their approval process can kiss my left n.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 02-06-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: cleaning up language

Thanks

If Apple dont want it , I gotta have it .

Thanks

Apple are pathetic.

Very immature IMO

Quote Originally Posted by edge777 View Post
    Thanks for your politeness, and I get that this isn't exactly talking about the iDroid app, but it was kinda written to seem like it was. That being said, does it really matter if Apple doesn't allow a certain name? I can totally understand that, as it would cause confusion in the branding. No real story here.
    huh? You would confuse an app from the apple app store with android??

Course it matters, it's ridiculous that they'd ban an app simply if it mentions the competition's name - what if a game is called "shoot the androids" or something? Ban it in case it sub consciously makes everyone get up and leave Apple and buy a Nexus one??

Apple have simply gone too far.
    Last edited by Amraam; 02-06-2010 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PAKIS-RULEZ View Post
    I want google to surpass Apple i am only stuck with apple b/c of iphone apps and cracked apps that i can get for free lol...

go google this shows apple know that they will be down in coming years its just matter of time google kicks iphone ***..
    Yeah you should definitely not be using an iPhone, you should downgrade to an Android phone. All the people complaining about Apple choosing not to let Android be a part of the App Store should go get an Android phone, see how well you like it. Even now the iPhone beats out any phone running Android by just the small things that it can do. Sure some of it comes down to preference, but if you're just going to keep complaining about it then why not get the other phone? There's always some excuse for not going to get an Android phone...it's all talk! If you hate the iPhone so much then go get another phone and stop whining! Apple has the right to do whatever they want with their products, you can choose not to be a part of that. The best part is that the iPhone 4G is going to blow away any and all Android phone and people are going to come crawling back and forget that Apple doesn't want Apps that mention Android.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-06-2010 at 05:22 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This is what jailbreaking's for...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hackint0uch For This Useful Post:

Amraam (02-06-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Yeah you should definitely not be using an iPhone, you should downgrade to an Android phone. All the people complaining about Apple choosing not to let Android be a part of the App Store should go get an Android phone, see how well you like it. Even now the iPhone beats out any phone running Android by just the small things that it can do. There's always some excuse for not going to get an Android phone...it's all talk! If you hate the iPhone so much then go get another phone and stop whining! Apple has the right to do whatever they want with their products, you can choose not to be a part of that.
    interesting commentary. in reality, however, my brother "traded up" to a Droid.

honestly? after playing around with it for a bit and getting used to the different interface? the only thing the iPhone does better is media playback. the Droid's screen is an order of magnitude better (seriously. go to a Verizon store and look at it), the apps are the same (most apps are now being built to run on both platforms), the camera is significantly better and the camera flash is actually useful, it does video out of the box, it has a real keyboard in addition to the virtual one, has built-in haptic vibration, it does multitasking, & custom screens (no extra Cydia fees or jailbreaking necessary), and soon it will have Flash. Oh, and it's usefulness and flexibility is not legislated by Apple. Oh, and its network doesn't drop calls daily.

then again, considering I only spent a limited amount of time with the phone, my opinion on media playback might change too if I had prolonged exposure to the phone.

I don't know about you, but the only reason I didn't already switch is because my company pays for this phone and I'm not interested in the early termination fee. If Apple's next revision isn't extraordinarily impressive, I'm gone. that Droid is a helluva piece of tech.

we'll see what happens.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

Amraam (02-06-2010), PAKIS-RULEZ (02-06-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Yeah you should definitely not be using an iPhone, you should downgrade to an Android phone. All the people complaining about Apple choosing not to let Android be a part of the App Store should go get an Android phone, see how well you like it. Even now the iPhone beats out any phone running Android by just the small things that it can do. Sure some of it comes down to preference, but if you're just going to keep complaining about it then why not get the other phone? There's always some excuse for not going to get an Android phone...it's all talk! If you hate the iPhone so much then go get another phone and stop whining! Apple has the right to do whatever they want with their products, you can choose not to be a part of that. The best part is that the iPhone 4G is going to blow away any and all Android phone and people are going to come crawling back and forget that Apple doesn't want Apps that mention Android.

...because I never said I prefer android. Doesn't matter whether it's android or windows or whatever. It's just the fact that this stunt really crosses the line - Apple must be feeling some pressure finally.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Hahaha