+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Outlaws 'Android' from The App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
this is funny, just goes to show ya how the app approval process goes. i got it last night, frankly i think it a better layout than safari with quicktab
    Thanks

this is funny, just goes to show ya how the app approval process goes. i got it last night, frankly i think it a better layout than safari with quicktab page and the tabs on the bottom much nicer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You should look at the new idroid icon in the appstore!! Its an android holding a iphone!! Props to the dev!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krak4211 View Post
    You should look at the new idroid icon in the appstore!! Its an android holding a iphone!! Props to the dev!!
    yeah it's pretty hilarious. it's crazy good advertising for android

Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    ...because I never said I prefer android. Doesn't matter whether it's android or windows or whatever. It's just the fact that this stunt really crosses the line - Apple must be feeling some pressure finally.
    it took nearly 4 years, but FINALLY apple has to do something new. besides adding in stale features.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    and soon it will have Flash.

we'll see what happens.
    yeah dude. my friend has a palm pre. he's getting web OS 1.4 pretty soon. and guess what? FLASH SUPPORT, OH SHEEEYIT
    Last edited by lolcats1; 02-06-2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

It would happen...it's inevitable.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love it. With each day that goes by, Apple becomes a little bit more like Microsoft.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    interesting commentary. in reality, however, my brother "traded up" to a Droid.

honestly? after playing around with it for a bit and getting used to the different interface? the only thing the iPhone does better is media playback. the Droid's screen is an order of magnitude better (seriously. go to a Verizon store and look at it), the apps are the same (most apps are now being built to run on both platforms), the camera is significantly better and the camera flash is actually useful, it does video out of the box, it has a real keyboard in addition to the virtual one, has built-in haptic vibration, it does multitasking, & custom screens (no extra Cydia fees or jailbreaking necessary), and soon it will have Flash. Oh, and it's usefulness and flexibility is not legislated by Apple. Oh, and its network doesn't drop calls daily.

then again, considering I only spent a limited amount of time with the phone, my opinion on media playback might change too if I had prolonged exposure to the phone.

I don't know about you, but the only reason I didn't already switch is because my company pays for this phone and I'm not interested in the early termination fee. If Apple's next revision isn't extraordinarily impressive, I'm gone. that Droid is a helluva piece of tech.

we'll see what happens.
    Yeah playing with one and actually using one is a big difference! New phones always look fun and exciting cause it's something "new". I bought two different phones running Android just to see how they compare (Moto Cliq & MyTouch 3G SFE) and it's not the same. The App Market for Android doesn't even compare to the App Store, they don't have anywhere near the amount of apps or useful one's, the touch screens aren't very responsive, they lag. Browsing on the Android is not as simple and responsive as the iPhone, i.e. pinch and zoom and double tap, as well as scrolling. The standard memory for the phone is crappy, sure you can extend it with a micro sd but then you have issues with transferring and storing. Most Android phone's only have a certain amount of home screens and if you want more then you pay for an app to add them in, but even then the app gets glitchy and closes down. Like you mentioned the video playback is not the best, and it really isn't, and the keyboard just plain sucks, the auto correct is the worst. The iPhone keyboard is so much better and the auto correct actually works on it. There's just sooo many little things that the Android OS doesn't have or if it does it isn't very good. So like I said in my previous post it really comes down to personal preference like a better camera, better multi-tasking, and possible flash support in the future..then go get an Android phone. In the meantime you have an iPhone, no one wants to hear ppl complain over and over about how crappy they think their phone is..it's annoying. And if you can't do anything about it then just be happy with what you have.

Edit- I'm not trying to bash Android or anything, I'm simply pointing out my personal dislikes about it. There are positives to the OS, I like using it cause I actually get to use my networks 3G (T-Mobile). My thing is with the ppl sitting here complaining about their phone. It's not that hard to get a new one if you really don't like yours, especially since iPhone's can be sold for quite a bit of money unlocked in used condition.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-06-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Haha apple

DMT
    Thanks

lol at apple....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Yeah you've played around with one, big deal! New phones always look fun and exciting cause it's something "new". I bought two different phones running Android just to see how they compare (Moto Cliq & MyTouch 3G SFE) and it's not the same. The App Market for Android doesn't even compare to the App Store, they don't have anywhere near the amount of apps or useful one's, the touch screens aren't very responsive, they lag. Browsing on the Android is not as simple and responsive as the iPhone, i.e. pinch and zoom and double tap, as well as scrolling. The standard memory for the phone is crappy, sure you can extend it with a micro sd but then you have issues with transferring and storing. Most Android phone's only have a certain amount of home screens and if you want more then you pay for an app to add them in, but even then the app gets glitchy and closes down. Like you mentioned the video playback is not the best, and it really isn't, and the keyboard just plain sucks, the auto correct is the worst. The iPhone keyboard is so much better and the auto correct actually works on it. There's just sooo many little things that the Android OS doesn't have or if it does it isn't very good. So like I said in my previous post it really comes down to personal preference like a better camera, better multi-tasking, and possible flash support in the future..then go get an Android phone. In the meantime you have an iPhone, no one wants to hear ppl complain over and over about how crappy they think their phone is..it's annoying. And if you can't do anything about it then just be happy with what you have.

lolzz funny talks going on.... I hated apple from beginning. its for lame people who ever uses mac osx! its a fact just google it and u will find it.

1. the only thing apple made better was the itouch ipods and mp3 players and iphone is just a modified version of itouch.

the only reason Iphone is going good is b/c its based on the apps.. other then that there r way better phones both in quality and hardware and cpu power wise.... just a sample... so please don't be a big mac daddy... we all know where apple stands...

just give 1 to 2 years and android will be kicking ***.

This was posted on apple site on June 22 2009... just for you to calculate when was iphone release!
    it took time for them to go to that # same goes for google....

source: Apple Sells Over One Million iPhone 3GS Models
    "iPhone 3GS customers get access to more than 50,000 applications from Apple’s revolutionary App Store"

"The first Android phone was released on 22 October 2008"

if ur math is good calculate when iphone was release and android was release and calculate how fast google got the apps in their app store...

souece:Nexus One vs. iPhone 3GS

Feature / Specificiation
    Google Phone: Nexus One
    iPhone 3GS
    Winner

Operating System
    Android 2.1
    iPhone OS 3.1.2
    -Tie-

Dimensions
    Thinner than iPhone
    115.5 x 62 x 12.3 mm
    Nexus One

Cellular
    GSM (& CDMA possibility) 3G Triband, WiFi, Bluetooth
    GSM 3G Triband, WiFi, Bluetooth
    -Tie-

Processor and RAM
    Qualcomm QSD 8250 Snapdragon 1Ghz Processor, 512MB RAM
    ARM CortexA8 600Mhz,
    256 MB RAM
    Nexus One

Graphics / Gaming Hardware Potential
    OpenGL ES 2.0.

Snapdragon has a onboard graphics that Qualcomm claims to produce 22
    Million triangles per second
    PowerVR SGX running at 200Mhz clock, Hardware accelerated OpenGL ES 2.0.

7 Million triangles per second
    Nexus One

Battery
    1400mAh*
    1219mAh
    Nexus One

Display
    3.7” OLED Capacitive (Higher Resolution 800 x 480 ~ HTC HD2)
    3.5” LCD Capacitive

(320480)
    Nexus One

Multitasking
    Yes
    No. Only
    via Jailbreaking [Multifl0w]
    Nexus One

Multitouch
    Hardware: Yes, Software: No
    Yes
    iPhone 3GS

GPS
    AGPS+ Dedicated. Google Maps
    Navigation (Most superior in the industry)
    AGPS+ Dedicated. Google
    Maps + 3rd party
    Nexus One

App Store
    10,000+ apps
    1,00,000+ Apps
    iPhone 3GS

Cloud Sync
    Google Apps
    Mobile Me
    N/A

Sensors & Misc.
    Accelerometer, Ambi-light sensor, Proximity sensor, Noise Canceller (Not Proven).
    Accelerometer, Ambi-light sensor, Proximity sensor
    -Tie-

Camera
    5 Megapixel with Flash, No HD Video recording 720480 pixels at 20fps
    3 Megapixel, Tap to focus, Video: VGA quality 30fps 640480
    Nexus one

Data Sync
    Only Contacts, Emails. (3rd party apps like Missing sync for
    Android)
    More Flexible sync with iTunes
    iPhone 3GS

Ease of Use/ User Interface
    Android Getting
    better Over time
    Proven Edge over others
    iPhone 3GS
    No signature links or spam... only warning

Green Apple
    Thanks

^iPhones were released before iTouch..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

iDroid Mini Browser is still up though....
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PAKIS-RULEZ View Post
    lolzz funny talks going on.... I hated apple from beginning. its for lame people who ever uses mac osx! its a fact just google it and u will find it.

1. the only thing apple made better was the itouch ipods and mp3 players and iphone is just a modified version of itouch.

the only reason Iphone is going good is b/c its based on the apps.. other then that there r way better phones both in quality and hardware and cpu power wise.... just a sample... so please don't be a big mac daddy... we all know where apple stands...

just give 1 to 2 years and android will be kicking ***.

This was posted on apple site on June 22 2009... just for you to calculate when was iphone release!
    it took time for them to go to that # same goes for google....

source: Apple Sells Over One Million iPhone 3GS Models
    "iPhone 3GS customers get access to more than 50,000 applications from Apple’s revolutionary App Store"

"The first Android phone was released on 22 October 2008"

if ur math is good calculate when iphone was release and android was release and calculate how fast google got the apps in their app store...

souece:Nexus One vs. iPhone 3GS

Feature / Specificiation
    Google Phone: Nexus One
    iPhone 3GS
    Winner

Operating System
    Android 2.1
    iPhone OS 3.1.2
    -Tie-

Dimensions
    Thinner than iPhone
    115.5 x 62 x 12.3 mm
    Nexus One

Cellular
    GSM (& CDMA possibility) 3G Triband, WiFi, Bluetooth
    GSM 3G Triband, WiFi, Bluetooth
    -Tie-

Processor and RAM
    Qualcomm QSD 8250 Snapdragon 1Ghz Processor, 512MB RAM
    ARM CortexA8 600Mhz,
    256 MB RAM
    Nexus One

Graphics / Gaming Hardware Potential
    OpenGL ES 2.0.

Snapdragon has a onboard graphics that Qualcomm claims to produce 22
    Million triangles per second
    PowerVR SGX running at 200Mhz clock, Hardware accelerated OpenGL ES 2.0.

7 Million triangles per second
    Nexus One

Battery
    1400mAh*
    1219mAh
    Nexus One

Display
    3.7” OLED Capacitive (Higher Resolution 800 x 480 ~ HTC HD2)
    3.5” LCD Capacitive

(320480)
    Nexus One

Multitasking
    Yes
    No. Only
    via Jailbreaking [Multifl0w]
    Nexus One

Multitouch
    Hardware: Yes, Software: No
    Yes
    iPhone 3GS

GPS
    AGPS+ Dedicated. Google Maps
    Navigation (Most superior in the industry)
    AGPS+ Dedicated. Google
    Maps + 3rd party
    Nexus One

App Store
    10,000+ apps
    1,00,000+ Apps
    iPhone 3GS

Cloud Sync
    Google Apps
    Mobile Me
    N/A

Sensors & Misc.
    Accelerometer, Ambi-light sensor, Proximity sensor, Noise Canceller (Not Proven).
    Accelerometer, Ambi-light sensor, Proximity sensor
    -Tie-

Camera
    5 Megapixel with Flash, No HD Video recording 720480 pixels at 20fps
    3 Megapixel, Tap to focus, Video: VGA quality 30fps 640480
    Nexus one

Data Sync
    Only Contacts, Emails. (3rd party apps like Missing sync for
    Android)
    More Flexible sync with iTunes
    iPhone 3GS

Ease of Use/ User Interface
    Android Getting
    better Over time
    Proven Edge over others
    iPhone 3GS
    Lol! Who cares? You literally just put up all that stuff for nothing, if I hated Android so much then I wouldn't have a phone running it...but I do. Like I said in my post it comes down to personal preference. We'll just have to see how the numbers compare when the iPhone 4G comes out!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well, I sold my iphone today and purchased a Liquid, F**K APPLE. They are locking things down to much for my liking now and this little stunt is just pure stupidity.

Goodbye Apple products.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    Well, I sold my iphone today and purchased a Liquid, F**K APPLE. They are locking things down to much for my liking now and this little stunt is just pure stupidity.

Goodbye Apple products.
    Sweet! One less complainer...

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

How can you "outlaw" the word Android or references to the Android from the App Store
    What about Windows Mobile, Symbian, webOS, will they be outlawed to??
    However good Android is, it'll never surpass the iPhone OS. I don't see why Apple see Google as a threat.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Idroid is no longer free.. at least not in germany... .70c on itunes here
    "Jane, get me off this crazy thing !!!!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Cydia ftw?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    However good Android is, it'll never surpass the iPhone OS. I don't see why Apple see Google as a threat.
    It already has, I can download and install anything I want without having to wait for the Dev Team or the egohot to release something that will be blocked three months later.

The rooting process on Android is always the same.

Apple does everything they can to prevent us from doing what we want with something we own. Thats like telling me I cant work on my car. Thats bull sh*t.

If they use the A4 chip in the new iphone, add oled, 5mp camera, 64GB, multi tasking, etc... that would make them catch up to what I have in my hand right now running android.

They may have paved the way, but they are going to fall behind if they are planning on adding what everyone else already has and calling it a day.
    Last edited by iPhone3G[S]; 02-06-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    How can you "outlaw" the word Android or references to the Android from the App Store
    What about Windows Mobile, Symbian, webOS, will they be outlawed to??

The point is... It IS better... lol... Apple wins because of the "cool factor" that the iPhone has.. dont get me wrong, i love my 3G.. But after using an Android HTC phone for awhile.. it is way better designed with much better support.. everything just seems to work better and faster.. more wifi range, better BT support etc..

Pretty soon.. Android will overtake Apple in the phone market unless they pull something out of their hat... an oversized itouch isnt going to cut it imo.. I have ZERO interest in this iPad.. its a big iphone, same software.. already have one Apple!!!

either is simply adding a better camera to the same design and calling it iPhone 4G.. people will get bored of said "cool factor" and will go with what works better..

Apple is right to be worried.. although these tactics they are using is only working against them..

and fyi... yes iDroid mini browser is still in the App store.. the Canadian app store at least... but clicking on it opens Safari to apples legal page.. lol..

thankfully the ipa is on the net anyways.. screw apple.. haha
    Last edited by pbateman420; 02-07-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pbateman420 For This Useful Post:

PAKIS-RULEZ (02-10-2010)

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

I love my iPhone, but I'll admit it's my first smartphone (as is most likely the same with a lot of you). It's like when you first lost your virginity, you'll always gonna remember it as something great... Until someone hotter rolls by.

If the iPhone 4G doesn't catch up and surpass other smartphones on the market... I may be breaking up with my iPhone.

With that being said, I'm slightly disturbed by this word-ban. That's like banning DirecTV commercials on Comcast. Apple is showing fear and immaturity with this.

However, it's important for the iPhone to maintain it's identity AWAY from Andriod. Having apps that simulate Android features or styles can potential cause issues for product identification. They shouldn't ban the word "Android", but reject apps on a case-by-case basis utilizing an "Android" filter.
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 02-07-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    #eli7e revived me