Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Strikes Back Against Jailbreakers - Stops Signing iPhone OS 3.1.2

Default Apple Stops Signing iPhone OS 3.1.2

Okay folks. We said it a few days ago. And we're going to say it again. It's quite clear that iPhone OS 3.1.3 is nothing but trouble. We saw a release of a new redsn0w that allowed 3.1.3 but it is NOT recommended. Even from the Dev Team. It's for experimental purposes only!

To top it all off, BigBoss is reporting that Apple has stopped signing the iPhone OS 3.1.2 firmware, meaning that you can no longer use iTunes to install a custom firmware of 3.1.2. This also means that if your on 3.1.3 you cannot downgrade, but if you've been following along, you should know that already. YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE! If you've saved your SHSH's on Cydia or Rock, you may be in luck for downgrading, but its not guaranteed to even work.

Now from what I understand, even if you have not upgraded to 3.1.3, if you haven't saved your SHSH's with Cydia or Rock, if fails or something goes wrong with your phone causing you to need to restore, you will NOT be able to install your Custom 3.1.2 firmware. I reapeat, AS OF RIGHT NOW, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO INSTALL STOCK FIRMWARE FOR 3.1.2 THROUGH ITUNES! No matter if your on 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 or lower.

This information seems to be highly aimed towards the new iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G. From the sounds of things, the iPhone 3G and 2G are in the clear. How that works, I have no idea, the information is very vague at this point.

If anyone can shed some light on how this works, and how iTunes can magically stop signing firmware (I was unware it even signed anything when installing custom firmware... if this is all the problem was, why didnt Apple do this a long time ago?), or maybe some motivated hacker will find a way to trick iTunes into signing a package that will let you install a custom firmware other than 3.1.3.

All in all, this appears to be a big attack by Apple on the Jailbreakers out there. Is this just the beginning of their crackdown on Jailbreaking? I sure hope not. Jailbreaking has brought their products to new levels. In my opinion they need to secretly let jailbreakers do their thing, as it really only benefits their products and store.

News of this comes from BigBoss, but I gotta say, there isn't much solid information there.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 04-26-2010 at 01:55 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (02-04-2010), reaves205 (02-04-2010)

Damn apple 1 JB 0 apple you win this battle but not the war!!!

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hexane For This Useful Post:

blind56 (02-04-2010), deathbybunnies6 (02-04-2010), Gustavo Saliola (02-04-2010), hoeljos (02-04-2010), LanCo Rider (02-06-2010), _saiko (02-07-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Hexane View Post
    FU
    BAHAHAHA! That made my day.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

i was running 3.1.2 fine last night and then it powered down when i was playing NFS Shift and it wouldn't turn on via blackra1n tethered jailbreak (i have the newer 3gs) and it would restore in itunes via dfu or restore mode and my only option left was to upgrade itunes and see if that works. it didnt so i tried 3.1.3 to see if it worked and it did. so noooo jailbreak for me until 3.2 or 4.0
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

just tried it on my 2g...not working..luckily i restored to a fresh 3.1.2 and black raind it

So to clarify... does this mean that if something happens to our devices we won`t be able to do a restore??!
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes I ran into this earlier today. iTunes would not let me restore 3.1.2. Forced to 3.1.3.....:-(

Wait...if Apple STOPS signing the 3.1.2 update...doesn't that mean that custom firmwares ARE allowed now? But they were before? Confuzzlement

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yea! me too. My phone is 3.1.2 7D11 and STUCK at apple logo. Can't do anything except restore and upgread to 3.1.3! And I heard redsn0w for 3.1.3 is released
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...s-3-1-2-a.html
    But I haven't test it yet. I like jailbroken iPhone. It has a lot of new feature, in fact I had multiflow and autosilent will be lose if I upgread. EeeHeeHeee.... !_!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to n00neimp0rtant For This Useful Post:

b3nny (02-04-2010), ifonemaniac (02-04-2010), iPhoneMadness (02-04-2010), TooSlo (02-04-2010), whereswaldo (02-04-2010), Wingtale (02-05-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Wait...if Apple STOPS signing the 3.1.2 update...doesn't that mean that custom firmwares ARE allowed now? But they were before? Confuzzlement
    They did the same with 3.0. when 3.1 was released they stopped signing 3.0.

iTunes doesn't sign the files on it's own. It phones home to gs.apple.com and signs a few blob files to customize your firmware using your ECID. All Apple has to do is tell it's servers to stop accepting ECID sign requests from certain firmwares and when iTunes phones home it will be denied the request and the restore fails.

Saurik's servers use gs.apple.com to grab your ECID files, and does this automatically for each firmware release, whether it's installed on your device or not. All you have to do is allow Cydia to do so, if you haven't done so you will see a prompt on the page that shows when Cydia first loads. You can't miss this, you have to be blind or retarded to miss it.

You then follow the instructions on saurik's site ( Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik) ), edit your hosts file to redirect gs.apple.com to 74.208.10.249 (a Cydia TSS server) and you're set. You can ALWAYS downgrade to the firmwares that you have SHSH blobs on file for in Cydia.

If you've done this and you upgrade to 3.1.3, you can downgrade your OS to 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2 as long as you have one of those SHSH's on file (if you allowed Cydia to do so at 3.0, then you will have all those and 3.1.3 as well for when and if it's jailbroken). If you don't have your 3.1.2 SHSH on file (or ignored that prompt until now), then you are now too late and cannot ever restore back to 3.1.2 no matter what you do as Apple's servers have stopped signing 3.1.2 and Cydia can no longer grab SHSH's for that firmware.

I hope this clears things up. It pains me to see news posts that lack such vital information.

17. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to cmdshft For This Useful Post:

andyharp (02-05-2010), applepear (02-04-2010), carman63 (02-04-2010), DaCodec (02-04-2010), DayumQuitPlayin (02-04-2010), ferrarix (02-05-2010), ianbroste (02-04-2010), ifonemaniac (02-04-2010), jomo25 (02-04-2010), kevrex (02-05-2010), LastSonOfKrypton (02-04-2010), murray23 (02-04-2010), riizch (02-07-2010), Shanks12 (02-04-2010), sobeniceguy2 (02-04-2010), ukoda (02-04-2010), viceroy (02-04-2010), wim66 (02-04-2010)

wait...does it mean even I press the shift key and then right click on restore and then select the apple stock 3.1.2 firmware itunes still wouldn't let me restore? I currently have a brick 3G to repair running at 2.x firmware...

Quote Originally Posted by highlight View Post
    wait...does it mean even I press the shift key and then right click on restore and then select the apple stock 3.1.2 firmware itunes still wouldn't let me restore? I currently have a brick 3G to repair running at 2.x firmware...
    You only need to worry about that if you have iPhone 3GS or iPod touch 2G (MC model) or iPod touch 3G. iPhone 3G/2G and iPod touch 1G and iPod touch 2G(pre-MC model) do not apply, you can always downgrade.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can see the phrase This device have SHSH on file for iPhone. Can I grab this without my iPhone?? Because my iPhone stuck at apple logo and can't restore. It want me to restore and upgrade!!! Can I do that now??

I assume it was that latest itunes update that would not allow it? If so, does anyone have the previous version of itunes from the latest?

Quote Originally Posted by soti View Post
    I can see the phrase This device have SHSH on file for iPhone. Can I grab this without my iPhone?? Because my iPhone stuck at apple logo and can't restore. It want me to restore and upgrade!!! Can I do that now??
    If you really have the 3.1.2 SHSH on file, follow the instructions on saurik's site first, then restore your 3.1.2 custom or stock firmware like you usually would.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyinxz View Post
    I assume it was that latest itunes update that would not allow it? If so, does anyone have the previous version of itunes from the latest?
    iTunes version has nothing to do with it. Please read my post here: http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...ml#post5111711
    Last edited by cmdshft; 02-04-2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cmdshft For This Useful Post:

soti (02-04-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How to edit the file?? with notepad or with what?? I edit that file with notepad and it can't save. How do I edit that??

Copy and paste the file to your desktop. Edit there. When done, move the file back to it's original location. Enter password or accept any prompts. Reboot your computer so the changes take effect.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cmdshft For This Useful Post:

soti (02-04-2010)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast