+ Reply
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Strikes Back Against Jailbreakers - Stops Signing iPhone OS 3.1.2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
There is away to downgrade i had to downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 awhile back but at first i wasn't able to do it because i would get and error
    Thanks

Default Quick pwn 2.2.1 might work for downgrade to 3.1.3 to 3.1.2!
    There is away to downgrade i had to downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 awhile back but at first i wasn't able to do it because i would get and error telling me (not able to complete iphone restore) but i did some looking around and found out when i used quickpwn 2.2.1 after the attempted restore from itunes it worked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bypassing the Overlord
    To this end, I have constructed a server that duplicates the functionality exposed by Apple's signature server, except using "on file" results rather than live requests.
    All we need, then, is to make iTunes use it. Luckily, most operating systems also have the ability to locally define bypasses on specific hostnames through a file called hosts. Using this, we can redirect requests to Apple's signature server to Cydia.
    So, open the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Now, when iTunes thinks it is talking to Apple, it is talking to Cydia instead. Doing this will allow iTunes to access signatures already stored by Cydia's "on file" feature.
    ----->
    "add the following entry to the bottom of the file" means I must open that hosts file with Notepad and type those words(74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com) at the bottom of that note file right??
    Last edited by soti; 02-04-2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: show the important word

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soti For This Useful Post:

jomo25 (02-04-2010), nfan2 (02-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soti View Post
    Bypassing the Overlord
    To this end, I have constructed a server that duplicates the functionality exposed by Apple's signature server, except using "on file" results rather than live requests.
    All we need, then, is to make iTunes use it. Luckily, most operating systems also have the ability to locally define bypasses on specific hostnames through a file called hosts. Using this, we can redirect requests to Apple's signature server to Cydia.
    So, open the file C:WindowsSystem32driversetchosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Now, when iTunes thinks it is talking to Apple, it is talking to Cydia instead. Doing this will allow iTunes to access signatures already stored by Cydia's "on file" feature.
    ----->
    "add the following entry to the bottom of the file" means I must open that hosts file with Notepad and type those words(74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com) at the bottom of that note file right??
    Yes but depending on your OS you may have permissions with saving the document.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to n00neimp0rtant For This Useful Post:

soti (02-04-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes! I can replace with the edit file. I'm gonna restart and I'll come back. See I can restore or can't. But Plz post the link that I can download 3Gs 3.1.2 firmware. Thanks alot those who r helping me.

Thanks

Quick pwn 2.2.1 might work for downgrade to 3.1.3 to 3.1.2!
    There is away to downgrade i had to downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 awhile back but at first i wasn't able to do it because i would get and error telling me (not able to complete iphone restore) but i did some looking around and found out when i used quickpwn 2.2.1 after the attempted restore from itunes it worked.
    Digg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smooth22 For This Useful Post:

soti (02-04-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just did a successful restore with a custom IPSW (3.1.2 7D11) at 4:15AM EST, February 4, 2010. Everything is working fine.

- launch-day iPhone 3GS
    - was on stock 3.1.2(7D11)
    - never previously jailbroken
    - iTunes version 9.0.1.8

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sevael For This Useful Post:

soti (02-04-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I must upgrade to 3.1.3 first or Just restore 3.1.2 My phone is not starting. It's stuck at apple logo. Therefor iTunes want me to restore and upgrade. What must I do? Restore to 3.1.3 and then use
    Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik) that method to restore 3.1.2 OR custom restore to 3.1.2 directly?

Thanks

use Quickpwn 2.2.1 to complete restore.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smooth22 For This Useful Post:

soti (02-04-2010)

Thanks

No plot here i used it awhile ago..u dont use the quickpwn to try to jailbreak it your device it will give u directions to complete the restore process.

Thanks

Sorry to be a noob, I'm not great with all the iphone detailed technicalities.

I'm using a 16GB 3G iphone and I'm still only on 3.0. Because I'm on a 3G, I can still upgrade and jailbreak to 3.1.2? Or is 3.1.2 not getting signed full stop?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    Because I'm on a 3G, I can still upgrade and jailbreak to 3.1.2? Or is 3.1.2 not getting signed full stop?
    It is actually quite simple: With the release of the latest iPhone Model, 3GS, Apple implemented another anti-jailbreak safety net by "signing" (off) each firmware installation.

They now stopped signing the compromised 3.1.2. and are only signing und un-jailbroken 3.1.3. to be installed -- on 3GS Models.

..the older iPhone Models are not affected as they were never "signed".

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DaCodec For This Useful Post:

b3nny (02-04-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yay!! I can custom restore 3.1.2 7D11 download from Jailbreak Unlock iPhone 3G 3GS 3.1.2 Baseband 5.11.07 Blackra1n Blacksn0w | iPhone
    Now it's restoring from my backup. After backup, can I use blackra1n method to jailbreak again? Or what method must I use to jailbreak?
    Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)
    That method done well in custom restore. All people used that method to restore 3.1.2 It's very good. The best method. Overall THANKS ALOT to all people who help me. Thanks thanks thanks. Last Qr. --->
    Can I use Blackra1n to jailbreak that newly restored phone again??

Thanks

Thanks cmdshft for taking the time to clear that up for everyone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey. How to save that SHSH on file?? Do I need to save that for further usage?

Banned
    Thanks

Why all the problems?
    If you want to install a lower version firmware then install a lower version of itunes.
    Is it really that hard?
    I'm still on itunes 8.2.1.6 as I don't like 9.* itunes.
    I just installed 3.1.2 about 5 mins ago and its fine. I even downgraded a 2G iphone yesterday from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 via DFU mode and no problems.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

With Apple trying to us guys from enjoying our jailbreak iphone, my friends + me will soon trade in our iphone or even stop using any of Apple products.

Banned
    Thanks
    @nickhesson, how the hell did you become a staff writer? I'm surprised you even know what Jailbreak means. I know n00bs that are smarter than you
    Last edited by andydam; 02-04-2010 at 04:36 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to andydam For This Useful Post:

DaCodec (02-04-2010)

Thanks

I love how people are going to throw away their iphones and grab other phones when apple comes out with an update. Updates have been coming and blocking hacks for a long time now, get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by andydam View Post
    @nickhesson, how the hell did you become a staff writer? I'm surprised you even know what Jailbreak means. I know n00bs that are smarter than you
    Quote Originally Posted by DaCodec View Post
    thanks for shedding the light, cmdshift. I was surprised to see the title MMi Staff Writer under his nick... wow- have you been here before? LOL. ..a motivated hacker, but who could conceive of such a plot??
    First. jesus get off his nuts people.. second mmi doesn't only report news on hacking, they also give news about upcoming apple events, rumors to what the next os will contain, ETC... just because you write here doesn't mean you have to know everything about hacking...this is a community where we help each other.. wtf are you doing flaming him for asking for help.
    Last edited by gthugballin; 02-04-2010 at 04:54 AM.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to gthugballin For This Useful Post:

PapaDocta (02-04-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi, am not a computer person but managed to jailbreak my iphone 3gs with firmware 3.1.2, should i not upgrade to 3.1.3? will it fuk my phone if a do?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Erm, I don't think I'm doing this right!
    Hi guys,
    Can I ask for a bit of advice with caching up the signature?
    I'm following Saurik's instructions and opening etc/hosts in a browser window, the file pops up, i open in it in text edit and it shows;

##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost

When i add 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to the bottom and then try to save, it won't let me (probably a good thing as I'm probably wrong).
    I've checked read/write permissions and they're open!
    Any help, even a link to another thread, would be appreciated.

Ta.