+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Easy Tethering with redsn0w 0.9 beta 3

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
One of the main reasons many jailbreakers haven't upgraded to iPhone OS 3.1.2 has been because it killed the IPCC tethering hacks that had been out there since 3.1 had
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Easy Tethering with redsn0w 0.9 beta 3

One of the main reasons many jailbreakers haven't upgraded to iPhone OS 3.1.2 has been because it killed the IPCC tethering hacks that had been out there since 3.1 had disabled the previous hacks. There have been a number of hacks to workaround the 3.1.2 changes, but they required tinkering that was a bit challenging for many casual users. Now, the iPhone Dev Team has reintroduced tethering to redsn0w with beta 3 of the recently released 0.9 version of their popular multi-device, Mac-and-Windows jailbreak utility.

The main difference between redsn0w and other jailbreak utilities is that it's a quick and dirty iTunes-free pwn that doesn't allow you to create custom IPSW files. It works for all iPhones and iPod touches, and while it won't unlock, it also doesn't touch your iPhone's baseband. So if you've already unlocked you can re-jailbreak with redsn0w, and by clicking the "Already Pwned" box you can skip that step. However, unlike utilities like PwnageTool, it doesn't prevent your baseband from being upgraded.

It's useful for jailbreakers that want an easy, trouble-free break that preserves existing data and applications. The utility goes into an existing phone's filesystem and installs the various bootrom and bootloader hacks that allow full access to your phone, and loads Cydia, custom logos, afc2 and the IPCC tethering hack in one shot, without requiring separate installs.

The process is extremely simple, just pointing and clicking. Browse to your IPSW: on Mac it's in ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/, on XP: \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates, on Vista: \Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates).

Once the phone is jailbroken, use Safari on your phone to download a mobile config file for your carrier from help.BenM.at - or you can create your own with Ben's Mobileconfig Generator. Then, just tap Settings:General:Network and turn tethering on. Done.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Or just add the iPhone-notes.de Repo – http://apt.iphone-storage.de/ and then download the Tethering 3G or Tethering 3GS tweak for 3.1.2

This method has been out for months...

More links on MMi:
    Tethering 3GS - 3.1.2
    Tethering 3G - 3.1.2
    Last edited by Melech518; 02-02-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

DarkoNova (02-02-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

At least there putting effort in but we still need that unteathered 3GS jailbreak, at this point Its not looking good and I hope apple didn't win

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Couldnt you just use PDAnet? I've been using that forever. Works fine with 3.1.2

Green Apple
    Thanks

+1 to PDA net. Still works fine.

Thanks

Well, Both of my iphone 3G are on 3.0 unlock and jailbroken and will stay that way until I sell them. I have one 2G on 3.0 and the other 2G on 3.1.2 and it looks like this is the longest delay for an OS update from apple. I ain't trying to upgrade until the Dev team says so and I check the boards here for positive feedback. Until then.....

adp
    Thanks

I've been able to tether through the phone's native tethering settings on T-mobile (3.1.2 - Blacksn0w). Just used the help.BenM.at – Mobileconfigs and Tethering for your iPhone | BenM.at profile. This is nothing new.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Has anyone who tethered before get any high bill payments?
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayman11 View Post
    Couldnt you just use PDAnet? I've been using that forever. Works fine with 3.1.2
    Some of us don't believe in paying for something we can do for free.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RonHC View Post
    Has anyone who tethered before get any high bill payments?
    No, ive tethered since the 3g came out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayman11 View Post

Or they could use MyWi. It works great and you can make ya phone into a router for wireless devices too.

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    I've been able to tether through the phone's native tethering settings on T-mobile (3.1.2 - Blacksn0w). Just used the help.BenM.at Mobileconfigs and Tethering for your iPhone | BenM.at profile. This is nothing new.
    The BenM profile on the At&t network for myself and others I work with kills our voicemail. We've all had the same issues where we don't receive voicemails since the release of 3.1.2. But I've been using the MyWi app and it's great. I like it better than the regular tethering feature.

I've been able to tether through the phone's native tethering settings on T-mobile (3.1.2 - Blacksn0w). Just used the help.BenM.at Mobileconfigs and Tethering for your iPhone | BenM.at profile. This is nothing new.
    The BenM profile on the At&t network for myself and others I work with kills our voicemail. We've all had the same issues where we don't receive voicemails since the release of 3.1.2. But I've been using the MyWi app and it's great. I like it better than the regular tethering feature.

Last edited by JayWheelz; 02-02-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Or just add the iPhone-notes.de Repo http://apt.iphone-storage.de/ and then download the Tethering 3G or Tethering 3GS tweak for 3.1.2

This method has been out for months...

More links on MMi:
    Tethering 3GS - 3.1.2
    Tethering 3G - 3.1.2
    I have been using this and the help.BenM.at methods together. With no issues. My voicemail goes to my youmail account. Also for those that don't know if you don't have iTunes installed on the computer you want to tether it won't work. The driver that recognizes the iphone as a modem is in iTunes.

Thanks

Default tether wifi?
    i was curious if I get this, can I tether the wifi? or only for edge and 3g?

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mashimarowu View Post
    i was curious if I get this, can I tether the wifi? or only for edge and 3g?
    Why would you want to tether wifi? It's like if you were taking the data from your router, into your phone, and back out into your computer. Makes no sense. 3G and edge works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWheelz View Post

Not sure why you quoted me four times...but anyways. I introduced the help.benm.at profile to a friend of mine in AT&T on 3.1.2 and it worked just fine for him.
    Last edited by adp; 02-02-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

PWNagetool works just fine for me on my 3G 3.1.2 no special hacks included. use Mywi currently but PDAnet works just fine as well. just slower to get started.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

I think it would be 10 times more useful to include to afc2add package in redsn0w than a tethering bundle.

adp
    Thanks

^ Not everyone uses pwnge method to jailbreak or redsn0w to unlock.

Thanks

adp, I had a browser error my bad. It works initially but after the 3.1.2 update, we were all able to use tether for a short time. Then we all seem to have experienced lost voice mails and missed calls. I heard that At&t put a fix out for that profile and that was one of the reason for the lost voice mails. So we uninstalled and all of the voice mail messages have worked since. Sound a little fluky but that's what happened to us.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone compared net speed using tethered 3gs versus a 3g usb modem? I assume tethering via usb is faster for the computer than tethering via bluetooth, correct?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does anybody think we will be able to use our iphones to tether with the iPad? that way we dont have to pay the extra $130 for the 3G version... plus $14.99 a month?????