+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Easy Tethering with redsn0w 0.9 beta 3

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Thanks for pointing that out! I hadn't even noticed that bit - sorry.
    Thanks

Thanks for pointing that out! I hadn't even noticed that bit - sorry.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4n4c0nd4 View Post
    This is the route I had chosen but my voicemail has never worked since. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    For those who have 3.1.2, blackrain1 and unlocked like me.

I had the ben.mat and while it did work it did knock off the voicemail. I found this site that took the ben.mat config file and found out that there was a problem. Went ahead and modified the mobilconfig file from ben.mat and uploaded the new one on this link.

Tether is so simple now and it does not knock off the voicemail any longer.

Go here and thank the guy:
    iPad/iPhone Apps and Games : 3.1 Tethering & Visual Voicemail: Fixing the BenM MobileConfig File : App Advice

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    If you pay O2 for tethering they will enable it.
    If you don't pay O2 for tethering you are very likely to end up with a very, very high bill for data as tethering is specifically excluded from you data usage plan on the iPhone and they will almost certainly realise you are tethering and charge you.
    Thanks for the reply, no I do not pay for tether as its like £15 a month extra!

But I am on an Unlimited Data plan, and my phone is unlocked officially by O2 as i have seen out my contract. I am on rolling 30day Iphone Simplicity contract 1200mins Unlimited Txt and unlimited data for £30

I dont want to tether to download, just to link to laptop when out so I can browse etc...

Thanks

The simplicity unlimited data does not allow tethering.

From Tariff Small Print

Data Bolt On Terms

1. The Web Bolt On allows you unlimited use of Telefónica O2 UK Limited‘s Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
    * in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
    * to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
    * in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.
    If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove the Web Bolt On from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. But how can they tell if I am browsing the web on my phone to browsing it on my laptop via the phone.

I will not use much data, I have tethered before for a little while and my total usage according to iphone usage calculator is only 3GB.

I thought if I did a tether hack using mywi or pdanet or this one. I could use the tether function and just as long as I wasnt silly I would be ok?

Or will o2 detect immediately that I am tethering and not paying for this?

Thanks

It is the data usage patterns that give it away.
    You *might* get away with it - but you will be breaking your T&C so can't complain if/when you get caught.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i think I am sensible enough to take the risk. My usage will be the same, just its nice to have the option if I go away for work, to tether my laptop to browse instead of staring at a tiny screen. and not pay premier inn prices for wifi. Its just an option really, I doubt I will use it much.

What is the best method in your opinion of course?

I like the native tethering, but I am unsure with all these settings updates? Anyone on o2 contract done the benm one what did they pick? as there are 2 options

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    I am having this same exact issue, except I jailbroke and unlocked with blackra1n/blacksn0w. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the blacksn0w unlock, but I don't have any solid evidence that's the case.

Also, I installed SinfuliPhone's Enable Tethering for 3GS package to get the tethering working again. Could have had something to do with it. I get random baseband resets while using data at all, around once a day, but when I'm tethering it's rampant.
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    If you upgraded to 3.12 using pwnage why did you then unlock using BlackSn0w rather than UltraSn0w?

I think it was blacksn0w that was the culprit, not sure, but I restored normally to 3.1.2, then jailbroke using redsn0w, now everything is working great, with "native" tethering working again. I no longer keep dropping service like I did with blackra1n/blacksn0w. and before that I had no problems with pwnage tool either.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123