+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Easy Tethering with redsn0w 0.9 beta 3

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
honestly I would like the use of tethering for my iphone 3gs so that I can us 3g on the ipad instead of buying the ridiculous 3g model ipad. the
    Green Apple
    Thanks

honestly I would like the use of tethering for my iphone 3gs so that I can us 3g on the ipad instead of buying the ridiculous 3g model ipad. the radio for the iphone is so much cheaper than the one for the ipad. Not sure what the reason is for charging people 130 dollars more...

Thanks

This is great news for some even though 3.1.3 update is out now they have to work on that as well . Busy , busy , busy .

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big poops View Post
    Does anybody think we will be able to use our iphones to tether with the iPad? that way we dont have to pay the extra $130 for the 3G version... plus $14.99 a month?????
    Officially not a chance in hell, but it would be simple with MyWi since your iPhone just appears as a Wifi hotspot, then connect your iPad to the WiFi. Done. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkez View Post
    Anyone compared net speed using tethered 3gs versus a 3g usb modem? I assume tethering via usb is faster for the computer than tethering via bluetooth, correct?
    Unless you live in an area with 7.2mbps HSPDA then the 3GS and 3G are the same, and there isn't many places that are.

As for tethering cable vs bluetooth, it really depends if ur getting full whack download speeds, which 98% of the time you wont, and in that case the bandwidth won't exceed bluetooths (2mbps i think off the top of my head) so therefore usb and bluetooth would be the same.

Personally i always tether via cable just cos it drains ur battery and usb will keep it charged.
    Last edited by thecork; 02-02-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    ^ Not everyone uses pwnge method to jailbreak or redsn0w to unlock.
    its allways done me good.ive never had regretable issues. ive used redsnow once. not bad. but i prefer PWNage
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

I just upgraded to 3.1.2 from 3.0.x , jailbroke and tethering using BenM mobileconfig file. Somehow, now I seem to lose service every so often , specially while being tethered , and will regain service after several seconds. The phone just started doing this after I upgraded to 3.1.2. Does anybody else have this problem?

I jailbroke using pwnage tool, unlocked using blacksn0w, and using BenM's config file, and I'm on AT&T.
    What other methods are you guys using to jailbrake/tether and not having problems? If I can, I'm thinking of reverting to 3.0.

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    I just upgraded to 3.1.2 from 3.0.x , jailbroke and tethering using BenM mobileconfig file. Somehow, now I seem to lose service every so often , specially while being tethered , and will regain service after several seconds. The phone just started doing this after I upgraded to 3.1.2. Does anybody else have this problem?

I jailbroke using pwnage tool, unlocked using blacksn0w, and using BenM's config file, and I'm on AT&T.
    What other methods are you guys using to jailbrake/tether and not having problems? If I can, I'm thinking of reverting to 3.0.
    Use MyWi or PDAnet from Cydia
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I bought MyWi while I was still on 3.0 when the tethering hack worked because I liked having the WiFi hotspot option, and once 3.1 was released, I still have the license for MyWi, which still gives me tethering. No need for any other hacks. MyWi works great!
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yeah I prefer the repo thing instead...

whoo this is my one hundreth post!!! i've been a member since June 2008 and I barely hit one hundred.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have T-Mobile and I have MyWi (for when I wanna do hotspot) and I have tethering thru settings via USB or Bluetooth. to get the one in settings->general->network->celular data network, I just install the "MMS & Tethering Settings" package from cydia

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thecork View Post

Unless you live in an area with 7.2mbps HSPDA then the 3GS and 3G are the same, and there isn't many places that are.
    Unless, of course, you live in a civilised country. Not sure about Europe, but here in the UK we have 7.2 on most networks now.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

true cork!! very true

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Unless, of course, you live in a civilised country. Not sure about Europe, but here in the UK we have 7.2 on most networks now.
    I'm in the UK too so i know that 7.2mbps is on our networks, but we are the lucky ones. My point was aimed at our not so lucky neighbours across the pond. Also, realistically, you never get 7.2 download speeds. I have both a 3G and 3GS and have done the tethering tests, and very rarely did i see an incress on the 3GS, sometimes yes, not often though. The realism is, that although advertised, like our broadbands, they are "up to" speeds and are hardly ever actually achieved. Of course you can't dispute that the 3GS has a faster modem, its all theory don't you know!

Thanks

I am having this same exact issue, except I jailbroke and unlocked with blackra1n/blacksn0w. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the blacksn0w unlock, but I don't have any solid evidence that's the case.

Also, I installed SinfuliPhone's Enable Tethering for 3GS package to get the tethering working again. Could have had something to do with it. I get random baseband resets while using data at all, around once a day, but when I'm tethering it's rampant.
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 02-03-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If you upgraded to 3.12 using pwnage why did you then unlock using BlackSn0w rather than UltraSn0w?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Or just add the iPhone-notes.de Repo http://apt.iphone-storage.de/ and then download the Tethering 3G or Tethering 3GS tweak for 3.1.2

This method has been out for months...

More links on MMi:
    Tethering 3GS - 3.1.2
    Tethering 3G - 3.1.2
    This is the route I had chosen but my voicemail has never worked since. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am on 3.1.2 in the UK on o2 contract. I would like to tether, but last time I did the benm settings update it caused me to lose signal every few seconds. (I am not sure if I updated itunes in that time) I was new to JB'ing. A restore sorted this.

I want to tether again, but everyone is recommending different ones like pdanet and mywi. I quite like the native app for tethering. Has anyone tried this new one (news header) on o2 yet?

also on the benm site, it has 2 settings for o2 contract customers. Which one to choose? I dont want to lose my voicemail etc

Thanks

Thanks

If you pay O2 for tethering they will enable it.
    If you don't pay O2 for tethering you are very likely to end up with a very, very high bill for data as tethering is specifically excluded from you data usage plan on the iPhone and they will almost certainly realise you are tethering and charge you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4n4c0nd4 View Post
    This is the route I had chosen but my voicemail has never worked since. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I went back and tried the other carrier file from .mobilconfig Generator by iPhone-notes.de and now I can tether and my voicemail works just fine.

I am on AT&T in the US on my 16GB iPhone 3G 3.1.2 and the carrier file that worked for me is labeled "US AT&T -V8". I confirmed both tethering and voicemail work.

Thanks

Or you can just create your own at Carrier Bundle Generator iPhone OS 3.0 - 3.1.2 (ipcc)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    From that site "Only for iPhone users with hacktivated or factory unlocked iPhones NOT using a legit Apple partner contract. DO NOT use it if you are on a legit contract!!!

Thanks for the link but as I stated I am on AT&T in the US and my phone is NOT unlocked, nor do I need it to be. Again, thanks anyway.