+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Weekly Jailbreak Update : February 1st, 2010

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In an effort to bring our readers more frequent news on Jailbroken Apps and Updates available in Rock and Cydia, we bring you a new weekly featured article. There are
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default Weekly Jailbreak Update : February 1st, 2010
    In an effort to bring our readers more frequent news on Jailbroken Apps and Updates available in Rock and Cydia, we bring you a new weekly featured article. There are so many updates each day it's hard to keep up sometimes. Especially if you haven't logged in for some time! We'll go over some new apps, if there are any that day, and any new updates available in the repos that are noteworthy. Another option is to use Rock's built in filtering for What's New.

For our first segment, heres whats on the radar for tonight. There are some additional updates to be added tonight, so this might get updated

New Apps

iShakeLock
    iShakeLock is a simple mobile substrate extension which locks or unlocks your iPhone by utilizing the shaking gesture. Unfortunately this seems very "beta", which would make sense from the version number. A few users have reported the tweak to not be functional at all on some iDevices. The tweak seems to lose function if the phone sleeps for more than 5 seconds. Use this one at your discretion.

gpsSMS
    gpsSMS is a simple application that will grab your GPS coordinates and let you test them to any number you wish. This one works just as it states. Although I didn't have much use for it, the description makes it sound a little creepy and the logic really doesn't make sense. I could only guess that you need to send GPS coordinates to someone who has an actual gps unit to plug in manually or something.

"Ever been in the situation when you were lost during your car trip with no map or naviation at hand? Let your friends help you. Send them SMS with GPS Coordinates and they will tell you directions. East-to-use applications. Automatically determines your location. You just need to select a phone number from your iPhone address book and touch "Send""
    Also check out heyWAY or echoECHO or G.maps or TOMtom.

Cerebro
    Cerebro is an app similar to MobileMe's "Find My iPhone" service, or like Cylay's current service. The biggest difference here is that the service is FREE. Once you've installed the app, you will get a popup to allow Cerebro to use location services. Upon opening the app it will ask you to enter credentials, register and will inform you that you can track your iphone at iFindMyiPhone.com. Although it's interface is not very attractive, the service works... kind of. There are additional features once you log in, such as history, sending messages, etc. Not sure how safe this one is in terms of privacy, but again, use at your discretion.

Noteworthy Updates
    RockApp 2.20.9
    -Internationalization Support
    -Unicode Support
    -Performance Enhancements
    -Major Fixes for Independent Repo Support
    -Additional support for 3rd party app liscensing
    -License Central
    -More Options for Developers

LockInfo 2.0.1-3
    -Added full screen option which will let LockInfo use the entire lockscreen. Swipe left to right at the bottom to unlock (as if there was a slider there)
    -Fixed crashes in the LockInfo Mail and Calendar settings
    -Added switch to hide delete/mark as read buttons
    -Added animations for unlocking
    -No longer requires a respring for new plugins
    -Reworked homescreen logic to hopefully fix the last issues with extra pages
    -Added override switch for Calendar alerts to show them even if popups are blocked
    -Reformatted settings pages

Activator 1.2
    -Support for activating regular applications
    -New events
    -Built-in system actions
    -Safe to generate evens cross-application
    -Cached Settings
    -Grouped Actions
    -Italian Localization
    -Bugfixes

Firewall iP
    - added Global allow/deny to the popup
    - changed *host/*.host to *domain/*.domain (request from users)
    Are you a developer? Would you like to see your app featured in our weekly jailbreak update? Contact us at [email protected]. Let us help you promote your new packages! Don't foget to submit your packages here. Did we miss something thats new? Let us know!
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 02-01-2010 at 03:24 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

arcana (02-01-2010), Frostbite (02-01-2010), wim66 (02-01-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Speaking of jailbreak, is anyone else scared of the new OS and new devices really screwing up jailbreaking? We've gone a long time between OS updates and that gives them lots of time to close potential loopholes.

gpsSMS seems like a really weird app. If you can get your coordinates, AND a data connection to text someone, why would you need them to send you directions? Seems a little out of place. Can someone explain to me why you'd need this?

Thanks

Woah! I must have missed the activator update! YES, App store activation was a MUST! Thanks Nick!

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Speaking of jailbreak, is anyone else scared of the new OS and new devices really screwing up jailbreaking? We've gone a long time between OS updates and that gives them lots of time to close potential loopholes.

gpsSMS seems like a really weird app. If you can get your coordinates, AND a data connection to text someone, why would you need them to send you directions? Seems a little out of place. Can someone explain to me why you'd need this?
    The fact that they got MS working on an iPad sim leads me to believe that they aren't working that hard to block jailbreaking...
    Last edited by Fodd1337; 01-31-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Writer/Reporter/Graphic Designer

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Total newb question... What is activator?
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    Total newb question... What is activator?
    It was introduced with ProSwitcher. It is a common library for activating apps via gestures, buttons and shortcuts. Such as double tapping the Home button to bring up ProSwitcher.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 01-31-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks

I like this weekly Jailbreak Update. iShakeLock is awesome.

Thanks

I could see iShakeLock as a hassle if you are jogging or using your iDevice in a turbulent evironment. And frankly, it seems like a helluva lot more work than just clicking a button
    Last edited by Fodd1337; 01-31-2010 at 10:40 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    It was introduced with ProSwitcher. It is . a common library for activating apps via gestures, buttons and shortcuts. Such as double tapping the Home button to bring up ProSwitcher.
    Not to mention that it is AWESOME. Especially this new update. Petrich is the man

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

What about news for an untethered 3GS jailbreak?
    iLive an iLife

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie-Mac For This Useful Post:

24trepid (02-01-2010), k.nitsua (01-31-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i could see how gpsSMS would come in handy... say you're at a party one of your friends drove you to, and you didn't really pay attention to how you got there, and you wanna invite someone else, you could just use gpsSMS instead of asking for directions or an addy....... but idk how coordinates work... so it would be awesome if it did the address of where you currently are

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey can any1 tell me if I need a app to download videos from websites to my iPhone. I am on the tmobile edge network.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Cerebro sounds like a nice alternative to MobileMe. However, I find Longitude and Google Latitude to be the best approach at tracking your iPhone.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac;
    What about news for an untethered 3GS jailbreak?[/B]
    Obviously there isn't any
    Writer/Reporter/Graphic Designer

Banned
    Thanks

gpsSMS
    gpsSMS is a simple application that will grab your GPS coordinates and let you test them to any number you wish. This one works just as it states. Although I didn't have much use for it, the description makes it sound a little creepy and the logic really doesn't make sense. I could only guess that you need to send GPS coordinates to someone who has an actual gps unit to plug in manually or something.
    [URL="http://modmyi.com/cydia/package.php?id=17359"]
    Whats the use of this? If you were lost with an iphone then why dont u just use maps to tell you where you are...
    Some of these iphone apps are totally pointless and stupid. :P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I loaded CEREBRO yesterday & already removed; it really drained my battery.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyotag View Post
    I loaded CEREBRO yesterday & already removed; it really drained my battery.

errrr :/ I was afraid of that happening

Thanks

In an effort to bring our readers more frequent news on Jailbroken Apps and Updates available in Rock and Cydia
    Nice to see Cydia actually gets a mention.

I guess MMi wants more questions such as ' Why does my iPhone not work' so encourages people to install Rock.

I prefer my phone to work so will stick to Cydia thank you.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

JStraitiff (02-01-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why am I and others getting the "host unreachable" error for the modmyi source?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is Activator downloaded as part of Proswitcher? I downloaded Proswitcher but removed it. I still have Activator and just enabled it. It's awesome. I still can't figure out where I got Activator from....

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiltok View Post
    ....I still can't figure out where I got Activator from....
    Installed with ProSwitcher.