+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PushFix 2.0 Offers Real Push Notification Solution for Unlocked iPhones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If your one of the many iPhone users who have unlocked your iPhone on OS 3.x, then chances are you've lost the ability to receive push notifications. I for one
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default PushFix 2.0 Offers Real Push Notification Solution for Unlocked iPhones

If your one of the many iPhone users who have unlocked your iPhone on OS 3.x, then chances are you've lost the ability to receive push notifications. I for one lost this ability with my unlocked iPhone 3GS. This was a big disappointment for me as I used the feature every day. I spent countless hours trying various fixes out there, including the PushFix found on various cydia repos (which really just made things worse), manually installing push certificates, and even trying to generate my own certificates.

After pulling out my hair and bashing my head into the wall trying to figure out why I couldn't get my Push notifications working again, I stubmled upon Pushfix.info.

"For the push notification service to work, every device needs a unique 1024 bit certificate. The certificate does not contain any information about your device, so I can provide certificates without any information from your phone.... If you used blackra1n and have lost YouTube, I have free YouTube fixes for that. My free youtube keys don't cause excessive battery drain unlike the original push fixes."
    I was skeptical at first I must admit. The cost to get these unique Push Notifications working again would be $5.99USD. After completing a payment, I was welcomed with instructions to add a Cydia Source, and simply download PushFix 2.0. (Assuming your payment was instant, this works instantly as well). There is an entire support system available if anything goes wrong and the service is actually quite pleasant.

That being said, I was prompted to reboot after installation, and upon doing so, was given a new app called PushTest which allowed me to test my PushFix installation. In a few seconds i was greenlit and good to go. I went and downloaded a crapload of Push apps and voila! My Push Notifications were working once again!! I was amazed at how simple this was and felt that my $6.00 was well worth it. This PushFix can be installed again no matter how many times you restore as your iPhone's ID is associated with the cydia repo to download this pushfix.

I even got in touch with the developer of pushfix via twitter, almost instantly, @pushfix, and he has been kind enough to let us give away 10 licenses for his PushFix to our ModMyi readers!

So how do you get your hands on one? Two ways. Here's how to enter:

1. Leave a reply to this article and let us know your experiences with trying to get Push Notifications working on your own. Some of us have spent hours trying to get it to work without any luck. I want to hear your story and why you deserve to have your push notifications working again.

2. Tweet this article on twitter and mention @modmyi. Click here for easy tweeting. Tweet This!

The contest will last 3 days, and winners will be notified by email.

Important notes for purchasers in certain countries
    Carriers which REQUIRE the iPhone data plan on that carrier (or you can use WiFi only push):Push does not work properly on regular data plan.
    US - T-Mobile (requires $19.99 a month plan at this time)
    UK - Orange
    France - SFR

Carriers in which push over CELL DATA is not supported - Do not purchase at this time (WiFi only is still supported):
    Brazil - Vivo (possibly)
    Columbia - Comcel
    Germany - Vodafone
    Nigeria - MTN
    Poland - Polkomtel

Pushfix.info
    Push Fix (pushfix) on Twitter
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 01-29-2010 at 01:53 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

DayumQuitPlayin (02-02-2010), wesker17 (01-31-2010), zoned (02-01-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I never knew you could lose push notifications? I've always had them working on my unlocked 2G & 3GS

Thanks

I really need push notifications....I can't begin to narrate the fraustration of not having it after I'd restored my phone and now have to try to remember what apps had what notifications that I'd come to take as common place, but which I don't now have.

Thanks

Nice story, but this service has been around for many many months now. Nothing new here. You can fix your push notifications for free if you have an AT&T SIM lying around...

Green Apple
    Thanks

wait that's weird. i unlocked my 3gs and push works fine. can someone elaborate? is it because my unlock is using a duplicated push certificate?

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

a free version?
    1. restore to factory settings 3.1.2 in iTunes(make sure at&t sim is inside)
    2. set as a new phone (highly RECOMMENDED! don't sync back-up!)
    3. jailbreak with either blackra1n or the new redsn0w 0.9 beta(i used redsn0w 0.9 beta because i didn't wanna have to deal with the wifi/youtube issues that blackra1n has)
    4. go to cydia and install blacksn0w via blackweather
    5. after installing blacksn0w, turn off your phone and take off the at&t simcard then put your t-mobile sim card and turn it back on and it should say "ACTIVATED".
    6. find an app that uses PUSH(like aim) and test it out

Voilas why pay when u can get it done easily.
     Think Different

Thanks

I'm on Rogers. Used to have a Rogers iPhone 3G. Purchased a 3GS from the US and unlocked. Push didn't work until I did this fix. All other fixes wouldn't work. Perhaps its an AT&T thing... because as far as I understand you can skip this fix if you borrow someone's official sim card and activate the iPHone on iTunes with it and THEN unlock afterwards.

Apparently when it activates your phone, thats when the push certs are created....

adp
    Thanks

I'm on T-mobile and I've tried all the push fixes out there. Nimble&inject, and the ispazio repo "pusfix." None of them have worked - so this would really help me out. I've only had bad experiences with the other fixes, from deleting my e-mail account info to making Cydia crash. I've heard good things about pushfix.info
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Green Apple
    Thanks

a free version?
    1. restore to factory settings 3.1.2 in iTunes(make sure at&t sim is inside)
    2. set as a new phone (highly RECOMMENDED! don't sync back-up!)
    3. jailbreak with either blackra1n or the new redsn0w 0.9 beta(i used redsn0w 0.9 beta because i didn't wanna have to deal with the wifi/youtube issues that blackra1n has)
    4. go to cydia and install blacksn0w via blackweather
    5. after installing blacksn0w, turn off your phone and take off the at&t simcard then put your t-mobile sim card and turn it back on and it should say "ACTIVATED".
    6. find an app that uses PUSH(like aim) and test it out

Voilas why pay when u can get it done easily.
    yea that's what i've been doing. good to know i'm doing it properly.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Some people don't have ATT sims lying around. Why go pay for an ATT sim when you can pay for this and activate it easily?

$6 bucks is good for not having to go through all that hassle. I could see developers charging a lot more for this too. Good price.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ALL: Yes, it is possible to do it for free, but my customers don't have an AT&T SIM lying around, or they can't perform the free procedure. Also, the AT&T SIM swap *does not* work on iPhone 2G's. I also provide a push test app that's worth at least $0.99 or more and I provide a ticket system for support. You get personal support and push forever for only $5.99 and I get push working on 99%+ customers. This is a big deal for foreign users, some of whom don't even know how to speak English! Think global, people! The next time you restore, you better have that official SIM lying around. My Cydia app will put your personal push key back on indefinitely.

Anyone who wants to do the free fix, I'm not stopping you!

I also provide free fixes for things such as YouTube and disabling EDGE. Should I also mention that my moderator and I provide free push support to NON-customers on my forum : Pushfix 2.0 Forum

If you want to see my feelings on why I think it is worth it, see : here

There are many difficulties that come from supporting push on *hundreds* of carriers worldwide. Trust me, it is not easy.

UPDATE

I should also add that if you decide to purchase from me, you are supporting a member of the community. I'm not some sleaze ball selling stolen free tools. You can see all the work I do on my forum, my 300 tweets, and the fact that I have solved over 600 trouble tickets. I am also providing whatever free tools I can to the community and there will be more coming soon. I'm also developing a possible iPhone anti-virus app (1 in 10 phones has a virus, generally causing significant battery depletion).

Other FREE tweaks in the works:

1) A tool that runs in the background and kills background processes when memory gets low. Yes, this should have been part of the OS, but it is not. This kills Safari, iPod, and Mail when your memory gets to less than 10 MB free.
    2) A tool that modifies executables to run freemem (the app from SBSettings) just before execution (and optionally kill Safari, iPod, Mail). I developed this for GPS apps and games because they use so much memory and they need every bit before launch. This makes every GPS app completely stable from my experience. Before, they would disable features if you were low on memory (speech, etc). For games, they would just crash if the memory gets low.

These are useful tools for every device, except maybe the 3GS as it has enough free memory usually.
    Last edited by Pushfix; 01-29-2010 at 02:34 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pushfix For This Useful Post:

Dizz (01-29-2010), Jahooba (01-31-2010), karmicwhimsy (01-29-2010), L00i3 (01-29-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm from outside the US and I've had my iPhone 2G for 2 years now so I HAD to unlock it (wouldn't work otherwise). I've been trying to have Push notifications work but sadly, it just doesn't seem to.

I even paid for Boxcar and some other apps just because of the Push feature and sadly, it didn't work. Wasted money. I would really love to have someone fix this.

I hope I get it! Thanks!

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Pearl
    Last edited by zoned; 01-29-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneMadness View Post
    Some people don't have ATT sims lying around. Why go pay for an ATT sim when you can pay for this and activate it easily?

$6 bucks is good for not having to go through all that hassle. I could see developers charging a lot more for this too. Good price.
    Also, its less painful than all those steps and you can easily reinstall the package when you restore your iPhone. 3 Steps. Add Repo, Install Package, Reboot.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default woud like to try
    I live in Australia and use a British iPhone that was locked to O2. I had to jailbreak and use yellowsn0w so never had Push working. O2 now unlock iPhomes, so on a recent trip to the UK I got my iPhone unlocked. Push didn't work, so I did a complete reset whilst in the UK, got my phone activated (using my original O2 SIM but no push notifications were working. Poped in my Telstra SIM and got the message my phone was unlocked. DIdn't have time to do anything more about Push whilst in the UK.

Now I'm back in Australia I'm wary about trying a complete reset type approach in case I can't activate the Phone. I don't know enough about the way the iPhone does things to be confident it will work if I'm overseas.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I miss pusfix notifications so much i too have been countless hours all nighters looking at countless sights and repos claiming to fix the problem but nothing if this pushfix.info works it would be a lifesaver for me...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What about the battery drainage problem? Has it been fixed?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ever since I jailbreaked my phone, I could not get any push notifications anymore, and I use a lot of push-capable apps. I've tried all sorts of solution (from installing some app from cydia which did not really work to manually editing some files myself via ssh), none of which made a difference. I think for all the effort I put into trying to fix it myself, I deserve a free pushfix licence

Thanks

I say @pushfix: keep up the good work. Why is it so horrible that they've actually made something EASIER for us? Sure there might be free solutions out there, but none that are so easy. It's free to use a dozen different remote controls your home electronics, but many people choose to buy a universal remote! No one says "Bah, I can just use all of my factory remotes for free. Why should I pay for one?" Um, cuz it's EASIER?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is this a problem with hactivation? My push works fine on my unlocked iPhone 3GS. I always put an O2 SIM in my phone to activate it when restoring.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

I have gone through so many processes.
    I still have my original 2G iPhone and I have discovered that SIM Swapping DOES NOT WORK after OS 3.0. I have been on the phone with AT&T begging them to unlock my 2G and also trying to figure out why exactly PUSH Notifications STOP after 3.0 on unlocked 2Gs.
    I still have my original Sim with AT&T and everytime I have to restore, I always restore to 3.0 just to have Push. I have tried other "fixes" but they don't seem to work for me.
    Right not my iPhone is sitting on the shelf where it has been for months because I just didn't want to go through the whole hassle again. I been wanting to pull it out but am not motivated for the fact that it's too much to do just to enjoy using my phone. If I am to win this product, it will bring me back into the community and I will revive my iPhone

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast