+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PushFix 2.0 Offers Real Push Notification Solution for Unlocked iPhones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Pushfix 1) A tool that runs in the background and kills background processes when memory gets low. Yes, this should have been part of the OS, but
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pushfix View Post
    1) A tool that runs in the background and kills background processes when memory gets low. Yes, this should have been part of the OS, but it is not. This kills Safari, iPod, and Mail when your memory gets to less than 10 MB free.
    2) A tool that modifies executables to run freemem (the app from SBSettings) just before execution (and optionally kill Safari, iPod, Mail). I developed this for GPS apps and games because they use so much memory and they need every bit before launch. This makes every GPS app completely stable from my experience. Before, they would disable features if you were low on memory (speech, etc). For games, they would just crash if the memory gets low.

These are useful tools for every device, except maybe the 3GS as it has enough free memory usually.
    I love you. Homo.

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    Also, its less painful than all those steps and you can easily reinstall the package when you restore your iPhone. 3 Steps. Add Repo, Install Package, Reboot.
    Exactly. It all goes to what a poster said above me. Choice and FREEDOM to do what you want. That's what jailbreaking is all about.

People like Pushfix offer services to people who would otherwise have no service for unlocked/jailbroken phones. Some choose to charge for it, some don't. It's your choice to pay for it... or not.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

Thanks
    I need a copy. Unfortunately my experiance is limited so I don't the how and why, but sometimes push works and sometimes not. I just accepted it as an unreliable service.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Iwould love push notifications! They would be a great help busunesswise and roaming wise. I would not have to check my mail or background applications just so i can get an IM. I hope I win!!

Thanks

This works great, been using it for over a month

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JayMacApple View Post
    What about the battery drainage problem? Has it been fixed?
    The battery drainage problem was due to the fact that the free push fixes included shared certificates.

From my forum:

Push only causes this much data usage when you are using shared certificates. In that case, you get many messages that come to your phone that are not intended for you and are discarded without any notification. Some users have reported over 20 MB a day in data usage when using the iphoneil.net pushfix because there are tens of thousands of people with the same push certificate.
    In another thread, I explain that working push uses less than 100KB a day.

By the way, in the case of iphoneil.net's push fix, they meant no harm. They were only trying to provide a service to the community and when I informed them of the problems their push fix was causing, they removed it from their repo. They tested my fix and agreed that it showed none of the problems that a shared certificate fix has.

You can even read a review they did of Pushfix 2.0, although you will have to Google Translate it from Hebrew. Push Fix 2.0 review by iphoneil.net

There are very rare cases where a carrier provides your phone with a non-firewalled connection. Since activating push makes your phone get a cell data IP 24/7, your phone is open to scanning. On one of these carriers, your phone will get scanned approximately every 45 seconds. This is totally the fault of the carrier. The two affected countries/carriers are :

1. Comcel in Colombia - No firewall & public IP! Terrible.
    2. Pakistan (carriers affected not known yet) - not nearly as bad as Comcel - your phone loses some battery life, but not drastic.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

All he did was keep restoring,activate and extract the certs, then sell it. Start your own business, buy an ipod touch and do the same.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Question Experience + Fail =…
    What was my experience… mmmm
    I restore my iPhone a couple of time think a made a mistake unlocking it but after a few day a friend told me it was not a problem of how i unlock it was a problem of the blackra1n, and that i need to instal "Push Notification Fix" from cydia, and so I went to cydia and found nothing so I star searching for the solution on the internet and I realize that you need to ad a repo so i thought it was easy, i found the repo and search for it but... nothing so I instal another one… and nothing then I got tired and decided to doit another day…

Days later… i search for another repo and finally found it, so I installed but nothing… so i restore my iPhone once with a backup and another one as new but I fail again, I search and search but nothing and finally in a forum I read that you need an at&t sim card because of something that had to be with the certification of the iphone (i didnt understand all the science behind it and didnt care I just want my push back!) so i look for an at&t sim btw i live in mexico and have a US iPhone so it was a problem because I lost mine :S
    I finally found one but i failed again, so then i try to use my hacking abilities (none) and get my iphone on SSH and try modifying the code on the Facebook app… then I realize that i dont know anything about hacking cracking or coding so i failed again

so my experience was mmm lets but it like this, Experience + Fail^3 = ExFailence^3

hope you like my story…

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    This works great, been using it for over a month
    same here. From spain, and working again!!

I try various methods but nothing working like this!!!

i´m using a loooooooooot of free apps, and games but when i need to pay for a better solution like SwirlyMMS, iBluetooth, Snapture, iLog, PkgBackup, and many others i pay for it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i use gvmobile along with pushGmail to text but the push always has issues. would this help?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pushfix View Post
    I'm also developing a possible iPhone anti-virus app (1 in 10 phones has a virus, generally causing significant battery depletion).

I am confused here, when did viruses come to the iPhone? And 1 in 10 are infected. We all knew about the root password issue which allowed some insert of logging info but an actual virus? I know other phones OSs have viruses. Lead the way I want to read more on the iPhone virus.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmxtreme View Post
    All he did was keep restoring,activate and extract the certs, then sell it. Start your own business, buy an ipod touch and do the same.
    If that's all you think I did, that's your opinion, but you obviously haven't read a single d*mn thing I said. Getting the certs was the easiest part of this whole project (for me) and I bet it would take you a week to get what I provide in one day.

If you're so smart, why don't you do it? You'll find it is a lot harder to do this on a global scale than you think. You really think you can just slap any old certificate on any phone in the world on any carrier and it just takes right off, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by uturn68 View Post
    i use gvmobile along with pushGmail to text but the push always has issues. would this help?
    PushGmail makes it hard to tell because the service is down often, for sometimes days at a time. You should be using GmailPush or Boxcar, but I don't recommend you buy anything unless you know you have a unique push key (or would be willing to get one if it wasn't).

There are some free push apps you can try, although there aren't that many of them. Try iPusher in the app store and verify that over several days, you consistently always get the notification.

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    I am confused here, when did viruses come to the iPhone? And 1 in 10 are infected. We all knew about the root password issue which allowed some insert of logging info but an actual virus? I know other phones OSs have viruses. Lead the way I want to read more on the iPhone virus.
    There are actually several viruses for the iPhone at this point and part of the problem is that people aren't aware of them. I have been talking about them on my twitter and trying to spread the word.

I have a post in my forum with more information (including detection). Pushfix 2.0 View topic - iPhone virus check

The Rick Roll worm was harmless, other than changing the wallpaper.

Then came this virus : Yet Another iPhone Worm? | Symantec Connect

That one forwards your SMS messages and email to the virus creator. It is a variant of the Rick Roll worm and there are reportedly at least 5 variants of it in the wild now.

The newest and most dangerous one creates a Botnet that your iPhone joins and it constantly provides access to your phone to the Botnet controller. iPhone Virus Turns Into a Mobile Botnet | Redmond Pie

I have seen this one and it can send and receive ANY file in the filesystem on demand. Your phone can also be issued commands to do whatever the attacker wants. It uses a modified HTTP protocol to issue the commands. It seems to connect to other hacked Windows machines to provide anonymity to the attacker.

Not only is this a huge security threat, but it is also constantly depleting your battery.

At this time, all of these are only using the fact that users generally don't change their mobile & root user passwords when they have SSH running. However, because we are jailbroken and the signature checks are disabled on executables, it is only a matter of time before exploits are found in other services that can be taken advantage of only on jailbroken devices. Even if an exploit was found in official firmware, getting past the the restriction on running unsigned code would prove incredibly difficult.
    Last edited by Pushfix; 01-29-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pushfix For This Useful Post:

uturn68 (01-29-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah thats really weird. I unlocked my 3GS ever since 3.0 days, and I even updated to 3.1.2 and ive had push notifications the whole way...

cool that theres a fix though incase this happens to someone I know.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Awesome mite try this

Thanks

I want my push notifications back

Thanks

Sounds like good work has been done. :P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Happily spent 5.99 for this app, and now push on my YouMail app finally works!

Thanks

where do you buy push fix 2.0 .... i dont see it in cydia

Thanks

I tried the old pushfix that has been around for a while with no success on an iPhone 3G.

After installing it, I had to re-enter all my wifi passwords and then re-enter all of my email account passwords, including MobileMe, Gmails and some personal IMAP settings. Then I had to get the YouTube fix and install it several times because it didn't work. That finally worked. Then I completely uninstalled all of my Push apps from my Mac and iPhone, reinstalled...

Now, here we are today, and it still doesn't work.

I probably don't deserve a free license any more than anyone else... but honestly I've tried everything I could find, including the DevTeams alpha version that was on one of their Twitter pages (I think musclenerd). If I get a free license I will post about the glory on my blog, which is admittedly brand new, but who knows, it could lead to a few more sales because my friends know I'm their go to nerd for jailbreaking.

So thanks for reading, thanks for the entry and I hope I win a license!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is my story. My push was working for version 3.0. As excited as I was for version 3.1.2 and went ahead and did it to jailbreak and unlocked. Then the internet stop working for me so the iphone became kind of pointless to me but then in December it came back up and that's when I tried to work on getting push fix again.

I couldn't do nothing I tried almost everything. I used programs for the MAC said and even the WINDOWS side and nothing was working about transferring file to the iphone to get it work and chmod it.

Honestly I sat on the computer for like 5 hours repeating steps and reading the same thing over and over and over but I knew something was wrong. Seems like the only way to get push to work was to use a ATT sim card which I have no way of access in getting that.

Yea so I had a lot of frustrations with this hopefully this is a good outlet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have AIM, ScoreCenter and a birthday app as well as notify me and none of them work half the time, hell more than half the time. It used to work fine and now they don't. I want my push notifications back. Because I miss being able to be alerted to scores of games I'm interested in