Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhones Tune in to Belkin TuneCast Auto LIVE for FM Transmission

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default iPhones Tune in to Belkin TuneCast Auto LIVE for FM Transmission

Belkin is no stranger to the business of iPhone accessories. But the company could very well be on to one of its most popular offerings so far. With the announcement of "Belkin TuneCast Auto LIVE," FM transmission on the iPhone 3G/3GS has "never been easier."

From Hot Hardware:

Belkin has been doing quite well in the iPod and iPhone accessory market, and today's announcement should be music to the ears of those who don't feel like installing any kind of sophisticated iPod adapter into their automobile. Sure, many new vehicles have iPod support from the factory, but older models were never designed to handle Steve's most popular products ever.
    Belkin's new FM tuner taps into your iPhone's GPS system and location-based user feedback to help you stay on top of the best
    FM frequencies available close to your GPS coordinates. Best of all, you can control your FM transmission from your iPhone
    screen via a cool knob-looking screen that makes your radio-listening adventures a retro experience.

Anyone who has used an FM Transmitter will know that finding a good, clean open frequency is difficult, and this device basically takes the hard guesswork out of it.
    The tuner is compatible with with the iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPod Classic. The corresponding iPhone app, however, wonít work on the Nano or Classic. But Belkinís ClearScan Technology will still enable you to find the best FM signal no matter which mobile device you're using.

It's available now in North America for $79.99. Europe, Asia and Australia will have it by late-Spring.
    Yes, it's a bit pricey. But by all accounts, it's also the most sophisticated FM transmitter currently available.

Image via Hot Hardware

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

danielharkins1991 (01-26-2010)

Thanks

FM transmitters have horrible sound quality. The audio spectrum is very limited in comparison to AUX or CD inputs. I think that even casette-adapters have better quality. Why people would invest $80 on this technology beats me...
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Well, my 2004 car does not have Aux in, CD in or Cassette, in order to do either of your suggestions.

Also, if I am in the car, I am likely going to be listening to FM band for local crap anyways, might as well be music/podcasts/video/whatever from my iphone.
    So it does not sound any worse than what I would be stuck with listening to anyways.

So what happens to the one I already have from Belkin? Will this update also work for it? Otherwise they have conned people!!

Quote Originally Posted by JRazman View Post
    Well, my 2004 car does not have Aux in, CD in or Cassette, in order to do either of your suggestions.

Also, if I am in the car, I am likely going to be listening to FM band for local crap anyways, might as well be music/podcasts/video/whatever from my iphone.
    So it does not sound any worse than what I would be stuck with listening to anyways.

in my experiences...i would MUCH rather listen to locally broadcasted fm stations than something through a transmitter. Sound quality is way worse with the transmitter

Thanks

FM transmitters do NOT work with the iPhone at all. You're kidding yourself if you say differently, this is just going to be yet another failure.
    Respect your elders.

I bought this on Black Friday and it work really good especially when set on PRO mode. Although I recently took a trip to San Francisco and the Autotune function didn't help at all. The bottom line is that it works good in different area's without disruption. I live in Sacramento, Ca and it works fine here but like I said earlier when I took it to San Francisco and did the Autotune the reception was bad no matter what station autotune picked.

Oh yea one last thing. A friend of mines bought one because he was impressed on how it sounded in my car (2004 Subaru WRX STi w/Eclipse head unit) so he went out and bought one for the 2001 Ford F-150 stock head unit and the reception was terrible. So it might really depend and location and make/model of car. This is just my observation.

Wunderradio $6.99 App Store. 1/8"x4' cable $8.99 RadioShack. realizing you spent under $18 for HD radio.....priceless
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Belkin
    The company i work for actually import all this for Belkin so i can get this cheap Looks good
    DANIEL

i bought one fm transmitter that was pretty price in the 50 to 75 dollar range might have even been 80 and it was horrible until i see rave reviews on how well any of these fm transmitters work in your car i am not buying one again mine was below average that i had got the money back on that one right away

Just get a Bluetooth head unit and bam. Sony makes
    one for sub $200. Works for a2dp and phone calls. Problem solved.