+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon: "Wednesday is a Big Day," Apple: AT&T a "Great Partner"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The "iPhone is coming to Verizon OMG OMG" rumor has in many ways seemed poised to overtake the "thing starting with T" rumor ahead of tomorrow's Apple event, the purpose
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon: "Wednesday is a Big Day," Apple: AT&T a "Great Partner"

The "iPhone is coming to Verizon OMG OMG" rumor has in many ways seemed poised to overtake the "thing starting with T" rumor ahead of tomorrow's Apple event, the purpose of which has been shrouded in secrecy. Anonymous reports surfaced last week about Verizon being in last-minute talks with Apple, one of Boy Genius's inside sources allegedly claims that Verizon store managers have been told to prepare for an announcement via webcast tomorrow. At the same time, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook took the opportunity yesterday to praise AT&T and downplay rumors of a second iPhone carrier in the US.

Boy Genius, who's had a few successes in getting good leaks, just passed on a whisper from one of his sources inside Verizon.

One of our connects just told us that Verizon Wireless has a “kick off” event in the beginning of every quarter that covers and goes over new things that are in the pipeline like devices, products, services, etc. for store managers. Except, this kick off is coincidentally on this coming Wednesday, and additionally, we’ve been informed there will be a “live webcast” that everyone attending will be viewing around 1PM ET.
    For its part, Apple - having announced record profits for the holiday season - gave strong public backing to its exclusive US carrier yesterday, and sought to discourage any assumption that Apple had made up its mind to go with multiple carriers in the US as it has in numerous other countries. "I don't want to imply that would happen in every market or that we are headed that way in every market," Apple COO Tim Cook said. Gene Munster, a prominent analyst with Piper Jaffray, had a question with a bit of an edge to it, asking "can you remind us the benefits of sticking with a single carrier in the US?" Cook dodged the barb, saying "AT&T is a great partner," and reminding listeners that "they have more mobile broadband usage than any carrier in the world." He asserted that AT&T's efforts to improve their service has met with Apple's approval.

We think iPhone customers are having a great experience from the research we've done. AT&T has acknowledged they're having a few issues in a few cities and they're making plans to address these. We've reviewed these plans and we're confident they'll make significant progress towards fixing them.
    While most analysts agree that Apple is likely to move to a second and possibly third carrier after its exclusivity deal with AT&T expires sometime later this year, the assumption is that Apple will continue to sell the iPhone through the largest wireless carrier in the United States.

adp
    Thanks

I've got my hopes up on this event - really expecting a lot of great news.

Can't say the same for tomorrow's State of the (increasingly socialized) Union.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

keep dreaming
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Thanks

great stuff to be announced for sure.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I could only hope so, question is would I get a verizon iPhone asap or stay with AT&T untill the 4g

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    I've got my hopes up on this event - really expecting a lot of great news.

Can't say the same for tomorrow's State of the (increasingly socialized) Union.

OH EM GE I almost forgot about the State of DA Union, gotta go get the pizza and drink ready woooo thats gonna be one hell of an address
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

^^^ Apple will most likely release the 4G iPhone at the same for both carriers. They don't want to alienate their customers based on service contracts with cell phone carriers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone on verizon tomorrow is just not going to happen. iPad on multiple carriers tho is possible.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Apple holding back......
    Yea boy geniues is wrong......dont you think apple has more tricks than that up their sleeve.....they probably have people on payroll to spice up this rumor game that the masses like to play.......but if i must.....i am thinking apple tablet on multiple carriers.......dont think an iphone coming so soon......did they really have time to put all those 45 MILLION rear and front facing cameras in the 4G iphones?????!!!!! think again!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unless VZW has secretly been adding HSPA to their towers like Telus did in Canada, Apple will have to put disclaimers on their commercials when I comed to their "multitasking" phone call commercial (Not available on all providers). CDMA had a chance but decided EV-DV wasn't worth it. Don't get me wrong as multiple providers casrrying the iPhoneg/iPad wouldn't hurt by speading the user base out a little.

Thanks

All I have to say is, iPhone firmware 4.0 or STFU.

Thanks

If it's only true.......... Soon, we "all" might be able to buy an iPhone that can keep a call from dropping and use a 3G network in most of the US (I know, not at the same time unfortunately). Brilliant!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieHarris View Post
    Yea boy geniues is wrong......dont you think apple has more tricks than that up their sleeve.....they probably have people on payroll to spice up this rumor game that the masses like to play.......but if i must.....i am thinking apple tablet on multiple carriers.......dont think an iphone coming so soon......did they really have time to put all those 45 MILLION rear and front facing cameras in the 4G iphones?????!!!!! think again!
    They don't need to install 45 million cameras, for them to display a model phone, in fact i'm sure that model phone was produced months before the actual order was placed.. apple must have done some major testing before they put in an order like that... If they show a new iphone or not, it wont be available until the summer anyways.

We'll see tomorrow though, if its one thing about apple, they like to play the whole "one step ahead of the crowd" game.

My personal predictions? iSlate/iPad/iTouch XL whatever is officially announced. What i'm really hoping for is 4.0 beta seeding to developers...

Possibly an announcement about multiple carriers, but I feel thats way to many things at once, i feel thats something they'd want to include when they release 4.0 to the public.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 01-26-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieHarris View Post
    Maybe you're wrong. I'd rather take boy genius' speculation into consideration over yours.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

As much as I hate Verizon, I really do wonder what changes ATT might bring around with their plans to be more competitive with Verizon if this happens. Not having to pay an extra $20 a month for unlimited texting would be one super thing.

Thanks

This is good if true will have to wait and see..at least it will take off the hard 3G sucking on AT&T 3G network..but wait verizon don't let you talk and surf the web at the same time.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate Verizon, their 3G network is as fast as AT&T EDGE is... If I wanted EDGE internet speeds I'd go to T-Mobile and get a plan cheaper than both AT&T and Verizon.

DMT
    Thanks

im staying with at&t but if verizon does get it this might be what we need to get at&t to lower those damn plans... cause u know verizon is gonna come with something nice if they do get the iphone to try to get users to switch to verizon...

Thanks

@Poseidon79

i agree
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxhorseriderxxx View Post
    I hate Verizon, their 3G network is as fast as AT&T EDGE is... If I wanted EDGE internet speeds I'd go to T-Mobile and get a plan cheaper than both AT&T and Verizon.
    Not in the chicagoland area its not. AT&T sucks donkies out here in the north west burbs of chicago. Verizon is the big dog out here.