+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Two Days Left for AT&T iPhone Exclusivity?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to a report on HotHardware.com , AT&T will lose its US iPhone exclusivity on Wednesday, the same day that Apple is supposedly going to announce their long-rumored tablet/slate thing.
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Two Days Left for AT&T iPhone Exclusivity?

According to a report on HotHardware.com, AT&T will lose its US iPhone exclusivity on Wednesday, the same day that Apple is supposedly going to announce their long-rumored tablet/slate thing. Though this report - which it attributed to a source inside AT&T - does not mention what other carrier or carriers will support the iPhone, recent rumors have increasingly named Verizon Wireless, the second-largest wireless carrier in the United States.

AT&T has long been criticized for what is perceived as poor performance on the carrier's 3G network. The anonymous source supposedly claims that AT&T "is tired of taking the heat" for the iPhone's network issues, and the article asserts without explanation that "the iPhone itself doesn't really handle the switch from 3G to EDGE very well." While dropped calls and poor throughput have been common complaints, the specific attribution of problems to the auto-switch from UMTS 3G to EDGE (which is actually also a 3G technology) have not been widely reported.

The article notes without comment the remarks by Verizon chief executive Ivan Seidenberg back in October that indicated his carrier would be happy to host the iPhone but that the decision was up to Apple. Reports back when the iPhone was introduced in 2007 suggested that Verizon and Apple had failed to come to terms on pricing, leaving Apple to negotiate a deal with AT&T.

image via thedigitallifestyle.tv

Thanks
    does this mean that those of us who bought our iphone with at&t won't have an upgrade for the "iphone 4g" ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd1992 View Post
    does this mean that those of us who bought our iphone with at&t won't have an upgrade for the "iphone 4g" ?
    What he said

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

there is the possibility that if apple announces a new sku that it will only be available on one and not both carriers. so, maybe.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yep that would be true if the iPhone 4g was introduced as a "Verizon Wireless" exclusive

Thanks

^ I think this just means that Verizon will have an iPhone, I mean at&t offers an upgrade price for ALL phones. What I don't like is that everyones gonna have an iPhone now o.O and they might become "not cool" anymore since its the in thing LOL. but hey maybe there is a great hacker on verizon, who will bring great things when the phone becomes available to him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by tski12008 View Post
    Yep that would be true if the iPhone 4g was introduced as a "Verizon Wireless" exclusive
    I don't think apple would do that to their so far loyal At&t customers. But if they did... then ( /wrist)
    Last edited by gthugballin; 01-25-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: quote
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple is not going to exclusively bring the iPhone to Verizon. If anything they will have both GSM and CDMA versions of the iPhone. It would be an extremely bad idea for them to go exclusively to Verizon.

Thanks
    I don't think Apple is lame enough to piss off SO MANY at&t customers by only offering a new 4G phone on Verizon.

Thanks

I dont see that happening. What I hope happens is AT&T and Verizon get into some major price wars! As far as the new iPhone (4G) goes, I'm confident Geohot and/or the Dev team will come up with something. Tethered or untethered, hopefully they find an exploit in the latest bootrom for untethered.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    What I don't like is that everyones gonna have an iPhone now o.O and they might become "not cool" anymore since its the in thing
    Kinda too late for that. I think that it will always be the in thing until a cellphone company can come up with a phone that can beat the iPhone. Look at it now. They released the HD2 and the Nexus One and they maybe faster, open sourced, and bigger screens but Apple is still selling more iPhone 3GS models. Once the iPhone 4G comes out, it will be unstoppable. I think that is a good and a bad thing. We love to be different so it sux knowing that the guy next to you has the same phone but its also a good thing because you know that its that much easier to use a lot of the functions of the phone. How many phones will have video conferencing on it? And out of those phones, how many OS's will be compatible with the iPhone OS? The more phones with the same OS you have in the market, the better ods you will have with being able to use all the functions of the phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I heard it on CNBC a few minutes ago as well...ugh, I hate Verizon!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Icemanmods (01-25-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

"Verizon Wireless, the second-largest wireless carrier in the United States"

What? There's some other carrier that I don't know about with more subscribers than Verizon? So that means AT&T is the 3rd largest, and Sprint and T-Mobile are 4th and 5th? I'm so confused!!!
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

For all we know, this could be the only annoucement on my birthday the 27th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    "Verizon Wireless, the second-largest wireless carrier in the United States"

What? There's some other carrier that I don't know about with more subscribers than Verizon? So that means AT&T is the 3rd largest, and Sprint and T-Mobile are 4th and 5th? I'm so confused!!!
    Verizon is the largest, At&t is the second largest.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    ^ What I don't like is that everyones gonna have an iPhone now o.O and they might become "not cool" anymore since its the in thing LOL.
    iPhones haven't been unique or cool since December of 2007. When my friends, my girlfirend, my sister, and my parents all own iPhones, I can't imagine how it is 'cool' anymore :P I think jailbreaking is still 'cool' though
    Running:
    iPhone 4 4.0 Jailbreakme
    iPad Wifi 3.2 jailbreakme
    AT&T

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by audiochild View Post
    I don't think Apple is lame enough to piss off SO MANY at&t customers by only offering a new 4G phone on Verizon.
    Don't be silly. Those pissed off customers will move wherever the iphone moves.
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

Its all about money . Apple will not pull the iphone from AT&T and go exclusively with Verizon . I'll bet my 3G on it !

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm so all this talk of AT&T loosing their exclusive deal with Apple huh? These are all rumors and nothing more. Until the man Steve says it i won't believe it. If all of this is false in the end i'm going to laugh my a s s off.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

man... i just dont feel cool anymore for having an Iphone now.. like dang.. F verizon!

Thanks

There will not be an Exclusive carrier of the iphone in the future. It will be on multiple carriers.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast