+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Vodafone Foreshadows Verizon's iPhone Potential?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Vodafone Foreshadows Verizon's iPhone Potential?

The biggest potential story out of Apple's event in San Francisco this Wednesday could be the iPhone's arrival on the Verizon network. Although it may not bump the tablet's release off the front page, the iPhone seems all but destined for carrier expansion. And Verizon may not have to look past Vodafone's success with the iPhone to witness the potential that could lie in store for a Verizon iPhone.

Vodafone, now the fourth carrier in the UK to offer the ultra popular smartphone, reported a staggering 100,000 unit sales of the iPhone in the first week post-release. Other iPhone carriers in the UK like O2, Orange and Tesco are likely equally stunned by Vodafone's rock 'em sock 'em success. And few industry analysts doubt that Verizon would experience similar success in the US if AT&T loses its exclusive agreement with Apple.

From Top News:

Vodafone, which is expecting a further rise in the sales of the iPhone after it comes on PAYG, said that its iPhone launch announcement brought along 50,000 pre-orders for the device, with another 50,000 in the week after that.
    Although plenty of morsels of so-called "evidence" have been leaked to "prove a Verizon iPhone" on the horizon, I won't believe it until Steve Jobs utters the words "Verizon iPhone" personally. If and when he does, the Apple will likely have trouble keeping the smart phone on shelves as a flurry of new purchases could rock the smartphone market and repel some recent market share advances by competing smartphone makers.

Talking about the notable sales numbers thus far, Vodafone UK CEO, Guy Laurence, told Pocket-lint: “The demand from both consumer and business customers has been phenomenal. They want an outstanding phone on an outstanding network and we're delivering that.”
    Image via UK Mirror

Thanks

"can you hear me now?.....good" will be the words uttered out of steve jobs mouth
    killall Terminal[]

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (01-25-2010), Silenus (01-24-2010), SnowLeo (01-24-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

interesting...

Green Apple
    Thanks

What is up with all the Verizon iphone news postings???

You know that Verizon will lock the hell out of the phone and restrict it even more than At&T. Plus if it is CDMA, then you wont be able to do data and voice at the same time.. What a downgrade!!! So what if Verizon has more 3g?? I get 3G on my AT&T everywhere I go now.. Used to be only edge be walmart, but they fixed that

I hate Verizons Stalker commercials, and there elitist mentality. Hey Look at our Map, and our mob that will surround you!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jaminmc For This Useful Post:

drjailbreakMD (01-24-2010)

Thanks

^^ lol i no i dont want all those ppl following me everywhere wat if i have 2 use the bathroom?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaminmc View Post
    You know that Verizon will lock the hell out of the phone and restrict it even more than At&T. Plus if it is CDMA, then you wont be able to do data and voice at the same time.. What a downgrade!!! So what if Verizon has more 3g?
    So what? Those are restrictions that are put in place by verizon, restrictions that hackers will unlock once they jailbreak it.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaminmc View Post
    What is up with all the Verizon iphone news postings???

You know that Verizon will lock the hell out of the phone and restrict it even more than At&T. Plus if it is CDMA, then you wont be able to do data and voice at the same time.. What a downgrade!!! So what if Verizon has more 3g?? I get 3G on my AT&T everywhere I go now.. Used to be only edge be walmart, but they fixed that

I hate Verizons Stalker commercials, and there elitist mentality. Hey Look at our Map, and our mob that will surround you!
    They didn't lock the Droid or the Eris so I doubt they would do it to the iphone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Keep Dreaming
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Thanks

@jevarner
    those also are not manufactured by Apple
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    Lack of originality + need for anything that could be counted as 'news' + bad writers = activity on MMi.

Really, can I t-bag the next writer who posts a Verizon article? Should be in the next 3 hours given the current trends...

lol..

But as an AT&T customer i can say that i extremely disapointed with AT&T's network.If it was not for the iPhone they would have lost me as a customer a long time ago. AT&T's network does not penetrate building's like Verizon's and i routinly get dropped calls and lose of signal on business trips. My coworkers use verizon and they will have a full 3G signal while i have 0 to 1 bar of Edge coverage with my 32GB 3GS.

Seem's that AT&T has gotten FAT with being the only carrier of the iPhone and they know people who use them are spoiled now, so why upgrade their network... I really hope Verizon does get it. Because i for one, will ditch AT&T andgo right to Verizon. Who gives a **** if you can talk and surf the web with AT&T? does you no good at all if you can't maintain a flippin phone call in the first place.. I'd rather have 3G coverage just about everywhere i go, and be able to make and maintain a phone coversation. AT&T's customer service, and Cell strength is horrible. Grrrrr. But i am so attached to my stupid iPhone i can't ditch'em... IT's like crack, and i'm the crackhead... I know it's bad for me, but i just cant stop!
    Last edited by GixxerJJ; 01-25-2010 at 10:10 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This could really shake up the market.

Here are current market shares:

ResearchMob: Wireless Network Operators Industry

Big things could happen. If AT&T is only doing so well because of the iPhone, Verizon could take over pretty easily.

Thanks

I thought verizon didn't have sim cards so what would the point of unlocking be?