+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: App Removed At Competition's Request... Does That Seem Right To You?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,719
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

    Default App Removed At Competition's Request... Does That Seem Right To You?


    A cautionary tale is being served up today by our friends from AppVault, who shared for all to see on their website that Apple pulled the plug on "AppVault" in the App Store because the competitors from "AppBox" issued a complaint and notified Apple.

    Late last night, we found out that AppVault was removed from the App Store – because our main competitor, AppBox, complained that AppVault was too similar and infringed on their copyright.
    Although the two apps have some noted similarities (as the folks at AppVault openly admit), if we go down the path of "similarities" being sufficient to restrict the introduction of an app into the App Store, the total number of applications presently available would be immediately thinned out to a mere fraction of its former self.

    First, a point on US copyright law. In the US you can’t copyright ideas – rather copyright protects things like code, images, etc. All of the code and artwork in AppVault was developed by us from scratch – so there is no real issue there.
    This development could very well leave no shortage of developers feeling both disheartened and concerned about their own applications in the wake of Apple's decision to remove an app for what seems to be no good reason other than the fact that AppBox issued a complaint. Is that all it takes to get Apple to shoot down your competition in the App Store? If this is Apple's new policy, I hope Cupertino is ready for a deluge of similar "complaints" from developers who will likely want to see their competition kicked to the curb.

    We provided the marketplace with better value, and a better product, which was our genuine intent – and it seemed our customers agreed. Two days ago we passed AppBox in the rankings in the App Store, and both reviewers and bloggers consistently agreed that AppVault was a far better deal. This was great – we felt like we had succeeded in our goal to provide the best value in the App Store. However, the developer of AppBox submitted a complaint to Apple that our apps were too similar and demanded for AppVault to be pulled from the App Store. Although we pointed out that his demands were not grounded in copyright law and even worked with him to address some of his issues, about a week later Apple pulled us from the store without even talking to us first or providing a reason.
    As the blog post goes on to note, there are other examples of Apple quickly buckling to pressures from developers who made a stink about rival apps in the App Store. But just because AppVault isn't the first to be removed without "potential good reasoning," that doesn't make it any easier for the developers behind AppVault to accept the cards they've been dealt. And they are certainly making their thoughts on the matter known to all.

    Although I appreciate Apple wanting to stay out of a dispute between two rivals, the policy to pull an app from the store on complaint by a rival isn’t impartial – it is taking sides. It allows an app developer to dictate the marketplace, forcing a poorer quality product on Apple’s customers and taking away a customer’s right to choose.
    Image via AppVault

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

    SirTimothy1 (01-23-2010)

  3. #2
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Man, that is BS. That's not right at all. What about all the Twitter Apps? They don't complain about others developing apps doing the same thing.

  4. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Damn! This should clear up all those fart and flashlight apps then!!!!

  5. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    Posts
    1,544
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts

    I also agree... not right at all. With almost any search these days, you're results will be numerous apps with similar features.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

  6. #5
    Go Giants whereswaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,382
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 359 Times in 257 Posts

    1 app being deleted because another 1 was to similar? I remember an article in the summer that said there were 106 tic tac toe apps and that number has probably grown

  7. #6
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts

    That is completely jacked...as a developer I one would never stoop to that level and blatantly hate on another app when they clearly have a better product, and the fact that apple actually approved this request is more than unsettling.

  8. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 81 Times in 59 Posts

    I bet the porn apps won't have this problem. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

    tim

  9. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    718
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts

    It happened almost as soon as the App Store opened with iBeer. Remember?

    Anyway, that's like saying we can only have one crossword or Sudoku app. Considering that nearly every app I have ever used has had serious user interface and usability flaws, that would be the death-knell for the App Store. As it stands, I usually have to try multiple ones and settle on the one with the least flaws or made by a more responsive publisher who will update to address complaints or improving competition. Competition = GOOD.

  10. #9
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I wasn't there but what probably happened is Apple received a DMCA Takedown notice. They then complied to keep themselves from being held liable. Anyone can file a takedown notice. It takes almost nothing. AppVault now has a file a Put Back notice and then apple returns their app to the store and lets appvault and appbox slug it out in court if they choose to do so. Either way apple remains immune to any prosecution that way.

  11. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts

    There is no shortage of drama surrounding Apple and its' AppStore.

    AppBox are fools and Apple should have addressed the issue in a far better manner than just removing it. Like everyone is saying, there are tons of apps in the AppStore that are similar. This is no different and should be allowed. We the customers have the right to choose!

    Quote Originally Posted by davshirley View Post
    I wasn't there but what probably happened is Apple received a DMCA Takedown notice. They then complied to keep themselves from being held liable. Anyone can file a takedown notice. It takes almost nothing. AppVault now has a file a Put Back notice and then apple returns their app to the store and lets appvault and appbox slug it out in court if they choose to do so. Either way apple remains immune to any prosecution that way.
    If what you say is true than i really hope that App returns because i'd like to install it.

    Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    I bet the porn apps won't have this problem. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

    tim
    Porn apps? You mean those apps with girls in bikinis? lol that's not porn.
    Last edited by hollow0; 01-21-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  12. #11
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    just put it in the Cydia store!

  13. #12
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    www.symondavis.com
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Ok so when I launch my App, I'm going to complain to Apple that the other Apps on the App store are copying me by being an App for the iPhone.

    When does this madness stop?

  14. #13
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Don't buy the AppBox and tell all your firends not to buy it. When the well dries up under protest, they will buckle.

  15. #14
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    If what you say is true than i really hope that App returns because i'd like to install it.
    +1 on that !!!


    Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Porn apps? You mean those apps with girls in bikinis? lol that's not porn.
    Yeah, they don't allow "porn" in the app store ... lmao

  16. #15
    iPhoneaholic plcrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    I bet the porn apps won't have this problem. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Porn apps? You mean those apps with girls in bikinis? lol that's not porn.
    Quote Originally Posted by love2drive2fast View Post
    Yeah, they don't allow "porn" in the app store ... lmao
    lol thats funny im gonna make that my new signature

  17. #16
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    What a shame. It's not like there's 128397123712 identical twitter apps or anything.

  18. #17
    CHUCK-TASTIC battlecrushr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houston follow @al_da_beast
    Posts
    7,940
    Thanks
    273
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

    i know rite
    and fart apps and flashlite




    Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

  19. #18
    dsg
    dsg is online now
    Livin the iPhone Life dsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,863
    Thanks
    3,611
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 796 Posts

    Business Studies lesson

    Competition is healthy in the market place remove it, and we end up with lower quality products because "they" (the companies) don't have to put in the effort to win customers. which causes people to stop buying the product/s

    It's bad business, Apple needs to reconsider it's decision!!!Competition
    Last edited by dsg; 01-21-2010 at 05:12 PM.

  20. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    yet another reason why Im starting to dislike Apple. if the next gen iphone is not much better than the 3GS Im seriously thinking of getting the Nexus One by Google.

  21. #20
    Retired Moderator stlcaddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 128 Times in 90 Posts

    Apple is just protecting there selfs. I'm sure it will be back up soon. They ain't that bold Just smart.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts