+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon iPhone to be Announced Next Week: Analyst

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It's been long-rumored that Apple will finally announce its tablet at next Wednesday's event in San Francisco, and that's been repeated so many times that it's pretty much assumed to
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon iPhone to be Announced Next Week: Analyst

It's been long-rumored that Apple will finally announce its tablet at next Wednesday's event in San Francisco, and that's been repeated so many times that it's pretty much assumed to be a sure thing. Now, rumormongers are turning to what will be the kicker - the "oh, and one more thing" Steve Jobs is so fond of dropping at the end of his announcements.

"We believe there is a good chance," WIRED Gadget Lab quotes industry analyst Peter Misek writing in a note to clients Wednesday, "that the 'One more thing…' part of next week’s presentation may include two iPhone-related announcements: namely, the release of iPhone OS 4.0 and the unveiling of iPhone 4G coming to Verizon in June." A new iPhone model that is capable of using Verizon's CDMA network has been a frequent subject of rumors over the past several months. If, as has long been assumed, it is true that AT&T's exclusivity deal runs out in the middle of this year, such a phone would have to be very close to production.

Misek, a research analyst with Canaccord Adams, says his sources have indicated that is the case.

Together with our semi-conductor partners, we have ascertained that there is a reasonable chance the Asian supply chain is prepping for mass production of a new iPhone in March, for availability in late Q2, likely June. The phone will be carried on Verizon and hence will operate on the CDMA network; however, it will also support European GSM and HSPA standards.
    CDMA, though, is largely a dying technology. Verizon, along with other carriers, is moving to the interim Long-Term Evolution standard, one step closer to true 4G. Misek says his sources say that a fifth-generation iPhone that will support LTE will be released in June 2011.

Verizon plans to offer its iPhone with tiered data plans, Misek believes, including an unlimited data plan. Misek is also predicting sales of more than 37 million iPhones in 2010, which is in line with what other observers have forecast.

image via PCWorld
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 01-21-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: link

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks

Seems doubtful. Why would we get info on this several months before it happens? That's not how Apple operates. 3GS rumors went down to the wire of the release date and were still nearly 100% wrong. No way Apple announces it this far in advance.

And this is one guy's opinion about the event next week, not something based on credible sources. Just my $.02

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hmmm what company should I go to next?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This again?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i would be disappointed if that development comes to fruition..

Thanks

I have two reasons to doubt this:

1. Apple is obviously looking at a GLOBAL market. Why would they invest in engineers to build a significantly different iPhone just to support ONE carrier in ONE country?

2. What happened to Verizon's big "iDon't" push? I thought the Droid was "so much better."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to n00neimp0rtant For This Useful Post:

Melech518 (01-21-2010)

Thanks
    the reason verizon wanted it is because they have the largest 3g coverage and now they want the most popular 3g phone. suckers.

adp
    Thanks

I highly doubt that this will happen. But if it does, I hope AT&T lowers their price by competition.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

mark my wordsssssss,

I highly doubt this!
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So Cool, let the games begin!

Now, with some competition, we might actually be able to use our iPhones for something other than flying R/C airplanes........ Yeaaaaaaaaaa. And (as an added safety measure) if it don't work out that either one can get their sh!t together, we still have the Droid. Bring it on Verizon!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayson9 View Post
    So Cool, let the games begin!

Now, with some competition, we might actually be able to use our iPhones for something other than flying R/C airplanes........ Yeaaaaaaaaaa. And (as an added safety measure) if it don't work out that either one can get their sh!t together, we still have the Droid. Bring it on Verizon!
    "We" still have the droid? Yeah umm no thanks. I'd rather the Nexus over the robot droid. Pfft so much hype over that phone with little to show.

Thanks

and we all play the waiting game........

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

"Verizon, along with other carriers, is moving to the interim Long-Term Evolution standard, one step closer to true 4G"

What is that supposed to mean? LTE is 4G. True 4G. Just like WiMax is true 4G. They are competing standards for 4G. LTE is heavily based on HSPA, but incorporates a number of significant changes, none of which preclude the simple fact that LTE is 4G.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I don't care what one anal-yst says. Anyone can get in front of reporters and say "I think that Steve Jobs will announce the iPhone to Verizon in 2011", but that doesnt make it true. Until I hear the words uttered from Steve's mouth, I am not buying it.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

if this is true (big IF) so much for all of those "iDon't" commercials....
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    I don't care what one anal-yst says. Anyone can get in front of reporters and say "I think that Steve Jobs will announce the iPhone to Verizon in 2011", but that doesnt make it true. Until I hear the words uttered from Steve's mouth, I am not buying it.
    So how about that tablet that you have money set aside for?

Analysts say there may be an announcement about it on the 27th. Heck, I wouldn't buy that one either.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    I have two reasons to doubt this:

1. Apple is obviously looking at a GLOBAL market. Why would they invest in engineers to build a significantly different iPhone just to support ONE carrier in ONE country?

2. What happened to Verizon's big "iDon't" push? I thought the Droid was "so much better."
    One Carrier, One country????

Sprint, Criket, MetroPCS, US Ceullar can all support a CDMA iPhone. Not to mention that there is CDMA in Tons of countries! I would much rather have a iphone on sprint. $99 everything would be awesome!

On Verizon, it is going to suck.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed, Melech518...and well said!
    Ditto, n00neimp0rtant!

Apple isn't going to waste the manpower, equipment and money to build a phone that runs on CDMA...
    unless it can also run on GSM with HSPA. And then how can you sell THAT to the carriers! If Johnny doesn't like Verizon and decides to switch carriers...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After talking with an AT&T tech today on the phone, I was told that "the new iPhone will be out in June on AT&T." Even the CS from AT&T says the they have the exclusive rights for "another couple of years."