+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sega Fans Ecstatic at iPhone Gaming Emulator

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Ask any Sega fan and he or she will tell you - this one is long overdue. The official (and by "official," we mean sanctioned by the video game maker)
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Sega Fans Ecstatic at iPhone Gaming Emulator

Ask any Sega fan and he or she will tell you - this one is long overdue. The official (and by "official," we mean sanctioned by the video game maker) Sega emulator is headed for the iPhone next month. Sega's Ultimate Genesis will take vintage video game lovers on a stroll down memory lane with this new offering that has excited gaming enthusiasts young and old - but mostly old.

From USA Today:

A new app, due the first week of February, will let you hold the game publisher's legacy in your hand. The Sega Genesis Ultimate Collection will launch for free with the game Space Harrier II. Inside the app -- or sold separately for older iPhones -- are other games Sonic the Hedgehog ($5.99), Golden Axe ($4.99), Ecco the Dolphin($2.99) and Shining Force ($2.99).
    Yes, all the classics will be there. And published reports indicate that more will soon become a part of this "ultimate collection." While some fans are calling this sanctioned release a "miracle," others suspected that it was only a matter of time before the video game maker stepped up to do for itself what it wouldn't let others do on its behalf. Gizmodo puts it this way:

Apple's finicky about emulators in the App Store, but most of the candidates have been unofficial, and dubiously legal. Sega's Ultimate Genesis, though, is official, and looks like a full virtual console for your iPhone.
    Although many of the games lumped into this new collector's package haven't necessarily been missing in action, Sega fans now have a centralized location to serve as their video game time machine and venture back to the bygone era of video gaming enjoyed amidst leg warmers, new episodes of Alf, and bedroom walls adorned with "Back to The Future" posters.

Ultimate Genesis is really just a new way to package old apps, and a focused sales channel for new ones. But that's exactly what a Virtual Console-style emulator is! And why this is a fantastic idea.
    Image via Gizmodo

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

great for the hacking impaired, but unless this delivers full speed with sound i'll stick with zodttd. kthnxbai

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I am happy to hear about this

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm pretty sure the iPhone could play PSP games too, has better hardware than the PSP.

I want a proper PS1/PSX emulator that plays EBOOT as all my PS1 games on PSP are EBOOT.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice! While I enjoy the jailbroken emulators, official ones will be great.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet the PS1 emulator won't become efficient until some form of the icontrolpad comes out =\ It seems the icontrolpad was announced so long ago... it just never got out =\

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Very exciting. Genesis was my favorite console growing up. We'd spend hours playing X-Men, RBI Baseball 93, Lion King and Jurassic Park. Really looking forward to this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Windmeel For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (01-20-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    Nice! While I enjoy the jailbroken emulators, official ones will be great.
    I agree! I just hope they dont over charge. Games should be .99 cennts and they will sell millions!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Very exciting. Sega was my favorite console growing up. We'd spend hours playing X-Men, RBI Baseball 93, Lion King and Jurassic Park. Really looking forward to this.
    Last edited by Windmeel; 01-20-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Thats awesome.. i recently bought the a game for my PS3 that has all the old SEGA genesis games on it... brings me back to my happy place!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

I think zoddtd has already made a far suffcient emulator for the sega genesis, which is free unlike this expensive system

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willis0037 View Post
    I think zoddtd has already made a far suffcient emulator for the sega genesis, which is free unlike this expensive system
    However, official ones are better than the unofficial ones.

I might get this if it comes with good framerates, sound quality of the Genesis, and a lot more goodies.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Default jailbreaking possibilities...
    I'm really interested in how they plan to store and load the games. Could this that the jailbroken community could just load the roms they want directly into the emulator and enjoy...?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaician View Post
    I'm really interested in how they plan to store and load the games. Could this that the jailbroken community could just load the roms they want directly into the emulator and enjoy...?
    Please. Running illegitimate software is NEVER that easy. Unless you have a Dreamcast, lol.

I'm tired of being told I have to pay for Sonic 1 again and again and again. fck that sh!t, I want Sonic CD anyway. (If you've never played it, Google it now; BEST official 2D Sonic game ever.)

Thanks

thats nice, but would be even nicer if there is some sort of workaround to getting roms instead of paying them $5 per game. also now im wondering how this will be setup?, will the controller be there like in zods, cause that would be nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,678 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    Hmm pretty sure the iPhone could play PSP games too, has better hardware than the PSP.

I want a proper PS1/PSX emulator that plays EBOOT as all my PS1 games on PSP are EBOOT.
    The 3GS simply does not have enough power for graphics that are as good as the PSP.

It could probably do PS1 games though... bring on the Final Fantasy VII! Square Enix could charge $30 for that game and millions would still buy it. I know I would.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Boo I say!! Booooo!!

Make some exclusive SEGA games or port some worthwhile ones... Like sonic cd or sonic ds - just to name the first 2 that come to mind.

It's cool to play the classics, but classic games should be supplementary not primary. Great job with super monkey ball 1-2, let's make some more of that caliber.

So in short, this SEGA fan is not peeing his pants.

Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Make some exclusive SEGA games or port some worthwhile ones... Like sonic cd or sonic ds - just to name the first 2 that come to mind.
    Sonic DS was never released, but it would be neat to see Sonic CD on the iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

It wasn't called sonic ds but there were sonic games exclusive to the DS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Zod has been actively updating his emu's lately Im sure in the wake of this he will make sure all his stuff is superior...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...