+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone OS 4.0 Features Leaked. Update to Support Multitasking Apps.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac Does anyone else find it strange that Apple comes up with these "groundbreaking" features after the jailbreak community does? Installer spawned the App Store, Clippy spawned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    Does anyone else find it strange that Apple comes up with these "groundbreaking" features after the jailbreak community does? Installer spawned the App Store, Clippy spawned copy n paste, Swirly brought MMS finally, and now that the jailbreak community has proSwitcher and categories Apple is going to implement them? Is there anyone but me that feels Apple secretly loves jailbreak and just sits back and waits for cool jailbroken features so they can edit the code and make it more Apple-esque? Apple is lucky the iPhone has the following it does when all they do is provide it with updates that should have been there in the previous version. Without jailbreak, I know I would not have the iPhone anymore and im sure a lot of you here wouldn't either.

With that, bring on 4.0!!!!
    No. There's some clever people working at Apple. They had a schedule for introducing these features once the hardware was powerful enough. If you think they're waiting on jailbreakers to give them ideas then you're sadly mistaken!
    To live, you have to lie

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone else find it strange that Apple comes up with these "groundbreaking" features after the jailbreak community does? Installer spawned the App Store, Clippy spawned copy n paste, Swirly brought MMS finally, and now that the jailbreak community has proSwitcher and categories Apple is going to implement them? Is there anyone but me that feels Apple secretly loves jailbreak and just sits back and waits for cool jailbroken features so they can edit the code and make it more Apple-esque? Apple is lucky the iPhone has the following it does when all they do is provide it with updates that should have been there in the previous version. Without jailbreak, I know I would not have the iPhone anymore and im sure a lot of you here wouldn't either.
    Why else do you think Apple hasn't come up with some ingenius way to make the iPhone virtually un-hackable? I guarantee that they could do it, or they could pay off GeoHot, which they haven't. You're right they're just stealing our ideas....we should sue lolz anyway I hope GeoHot hacks it quickly and all of our themes and stuff don't have to be updated to be used.....and maybe when he does the new hack he could update WinterBoard's AppIconMask/Overlay/Shadow functions....that's been aggravating...
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Gotta love how Apple waits for the jailbreak community or its competition to come up with new features, then rip them off in the next firmware upgrade.

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wannabprogramma View Post
    GeoHot... and maybe when he does the new hack he could update WinterBoard's AppIconMask/Overlay/Shadow functions....that's been aggravating...
    Geohot didn't write Winterboard. . .
    Furthermore, AppIconMask/Overlay/Shadow are done by the operating system, they're not something special that winterboard does or uses.

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't say he wrote WinterBoard...I said maybe he could come up with an update as for th App Icon stuff...if they're done by the OS then he could fix them because basically what jailbreaking does is put in custom firmware.....right? There was support for them up to 3.0...
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    No. There's some clever people working at Apple. They had a schedule for introducing these features once the hardware was powerful enough. If you think they're waiting on jailbreakers to give them ideas then you're sadly mistaken!
    I disagree. If your statement was true, they would have introduced AT LEAST backgrounding capabilities with the release of the 3GS, which is more than powerful enough to handle.

I think Apple is just realizing that the competition is catching up (ie. Nexus One) with these features. They're probably also spending too much time and hours trying to prevent the phone being jailbroken.

And it's not that they take our ideas per se, but jailbreakers have always been ahead of the game.

PdaNet > Native Tethering
    SwirlyMMS > Native MMS
    Copy/paste app in Cydia > Native Copy/Paste
    Backgrounder > Native backgrounding

I hope you see the logic.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

I feel you on this one Bernie-Mac, but I have to disagree.

Reasons being... It's Apple, it's their OS. They took OS X and brought it to the iPhone (after optimizing it for use on a smaller less capeble device. They know exactly how to make **** happen on the iPhone.

I think Apple is being REALLY REALLY smart here. How so you ask? Well simple... think about it. If the very first release of the iPhone OS has ALL the features and capabilities from the getco, what will "excite us all" later? Updates would only consist of bug fixes basically.

Apple is all about marketing my friend... Keep the customers wanting for MORE!!! Which is the secret of Apple's success. They release all the "new features" in small updates... and save the bigger features "copy/paste, MMS etc" for "major updates"...
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Where is the dev seeds and sdk?
    Thanks,

Timbo

Thanks

+1

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hollow0, I agree with the resolution not necessarily being needed for the phone portion itself, but from a marketing standpoint, it looks like a negative on paper, and I would prefer if they would go with an OLED or something like that which should be more power efficient.

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    Where is the dev seeds and sdk?
    +1

iPhone? More like MyPhone Niner1000RR's Avatar
    Thanks

+1, I want FULL BT control for my damn BT headset!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i want more than 5 bluetooth profiles on the damn phone so i can actually fully use my car's handsfree system!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KoozyK View Post
    i want more than 5 bluetooth profiles on the damn phone so i can actually fully use my car's handsfree system!
    Do you honestly use that many bluetooth profiles?

Quote Originally Posted by synbios1978 View Post
    Hollow0, I agree with the resolution not necessarily being needed for the phone portion itself, but from a marketing standpoint, it looks like a negative on paper, and I would prefer if they would go with an OLED or something like that which should be more power efficient.
    Yeah, that's definitely true. Since the OLEDs supposedly offer less power consumption. In that aspect i would agree that they should incorporate that type of screen. I guess we'll see what they offer.
    Last edited by hollow0; 01-20-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
    I feel you on this one Bernie-Mac, but I have to disagree.

Reasons being... It's Apple, it's their OS. They took OS X and brought it to the iPhone (after optimizing it for use on a smaller less capeble device. They know exactly how to make **** happen on the iPhone.

I think Apple is being REALLY REALLY smart here. How so you ask? Well simple... think about it. If the very first release of the iPhone OS has ALL the features and capabilities from the getco, what will "excite us all" later? Updates would only consist of bug fixes basically.

Apple is all about marketing my friend... Keep the customers wanting for MORE!!! Which is the secret of Apple's success. They release all the "new features" in small updates... and save the bigger features "copy/paste, MMS etc" for "major updates"...
    Exactly !!! ... very well said !!!

Let me just ad that yeah, they really should have had a few features right from the beginning (MMS and full Bluetooth for sure) ... and I'm not really sure anyone knows exactly why they didn't ... other than they just wanted to get the phone out into the marketplace before something else from a competitor got there first.

Try to keep in mind that aside from some early Palm-based attempts (that just didn't quite get the job done) this is really the first phone anything like this on the market ... and everyone else has the benefit of Apple’s work as a starting point to base their designs on.

Just the fact that there even are updates that actually enhance functionality rather than just fix bugs (or no updates at all), is a relatively new thing (thanks Apple).

I've had just about every decent phone and pda in the last 10 years, and Apple has really built this market segment. Just the fact that the phone can be jail broken and customized / themed into something that you would barely recognize as an iPhone (and how reliable it still is) is testament to the foundation and versatility of the device ... and the talent of the development community ... though I do wish they would open the phone up and allow native theming (which I believe they will at some point, from a purely $$$ standpoint).

Apple has created a device that appeals to a huge range of individuals, from the novice to the gadget freaks like us, with an interface second to none. They deserve props in my book for producing a true "market defining" device ... sure it's all about money ... but it always is ... but we wouldn't have half the new phones we do now, if someone (Apple in this case) didn't fire the first shot.

Do they look at what's being done in the development community and incorporate some of those functions into new versions of the OS ? Sure they do, any smart company would be a fool not to ! It's not as much stealing (because they have teams of people dreaming up ideas all day long), as it is a way of gauging market interest, and prioritizing what new functionality to release next ... seems like a pretty good business model to me.

I love the phone, and probably won't switch (even to the 4g ... unless it's got something crazy I just gotta have) anytime soon. I just hope they keep improving it and updating it ... and look forward to seeing what they come up with next.

Am I particulary excited about this release ? No. But I haven't really been excited about any of them so far ... so maybe it's just me ... lol.

Thanks

I hope they implement a quick reply to SMS. Otherwise I'll wait for 4.0 to be jailbroken.

That's really the only app purchased on Cydia that I use on an hourly basis.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    I love 2g more than my 3g
    Agreed

Thanks

While I can't wait, I don't look forward to all the 'I accidentally updated my phone what do I do now' posts. What's the over/under on that?

My iPhone is a Part of Me s1l3nt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
    I hope they implement a quick reply to SMS. Otherwise I'll wait for 4.0 to be jailbroken.

i hope so too i also use quick reply alot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StevenB View Post

Best money I've ever spent is on the QuickReply app. Makes the phone sooooo much better. Why give me games on my phone when I can't reply to a text I get without exiting the game?

+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast