+ Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone OS 4.0 Features Leaked. Update to Support Multitasking Apps.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by djnikk I seriously doubt 4.0 release before summer. The official release will not be available but the beta release will. Just like all of the previous versions
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djnikk View Post
    I seriously doubt 4.0 release before summer.
    The official release will not be available but the beta release will. Just like all of the previous versions in the past years.

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    multi-tasking in 4.0 is almost certainly going to happen. With all the negative ads about how Android and Palm can multi-task, it makes perfect sense. I just hope that is done so that "ALL" apps can be backgrounded.
    If ALL apps are to be backgrounded than i seriously hope that Apple will find a good way to preserve the memory on the iPhone. Almost all phones i've seen that background every needless app lags and i hate lag on a phone. Then, people will begin to complain to Apple that the phone is too slow. I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcooley617 View Post
    Everybody throw your 2g & 3g's away and head to buy the 3GS, its all a scam to keep you purchasing the new hardware. Apple has a ten year plan on how to continually to make consumers come back for more products....Its lame but I'm not mad at all, I'm a gadget and tech freak and I love it.....Just hate to kick out $400-500 every year or so. lol
    Yeah i know how you feel lol. Got the 3GS last year in july and will probably purchase the the 4G iPhone. But only if it has more memory and processing power.
    Last edited by hollow0; 01-20-2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm tired of apple giving us what we already have... sure now it will be native backgrounding, (backgrounder works perfectly anyways)

But apple seems to always just give us, what the jailbreakers have had for months...

It makes sense though, they just implement the best 3 features of being jailbroken, every year with an OS refresh.

Gonna do the same thing i did last year. Not upgrade my current phone to the newest software, and buy the new iphone 4g to experience the new OS. Then just update, and sell my 3gs.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWNCO View Post
    i think this is the first time since the iphone came out that i am not excited about the new OS the new iphone4G or whatever its going to be called or the tablet ive been thinking about tossing the iphone and going android and im pretty sure the iphone 4g and the new OS will push me away from apple as almost all android devices are way more customizable multitasking and all but hey you never know it could blow us away but i seriously doubt it i think apples ride to the top is coming to an end with this 3 year old OS they have
    Yeah Androids can multitask and customize but we have all of that with jailbreak. Some might say well the Android comes with it default. Well that's fine but i still find people rooting their phones to enable a function that didn't come right out of the box. Hypocrites. As long as the Devs are around i will remain with the iPhone. Maybe one day Apple will just open up the phone and unleash it!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    I'm tired of apple giving us what we already have... sure now it will be native backgrounding, (backgrounder works perfectly anyways)

But apple seems to always just give us, what the jailbreakers have had for months...

It makes sense though, they just implement the best 3 features of being jailbroken, every year with an OS refresh.

Gonna do the same thing i did last year. Not upgrade my current phone to the newest software, and buy the new iphone 4g to experience the new OS. Then just update, and sell my 3gs.
    If you're tired of Apple giving you what you already have then what do you want? Do you want the phone to grow arms and legs, and dance for you?
    Last edited by hollow0; 01-20-2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    Does anyone else find it strange that Apple comes up with these "groundbreaking" features after the jailbreak community does? Installer spawned the App Store, Clippy spawned copy n paste, Swirly brought MMS finally, and now that the jailbreak community has proSwitcher and categories Apple is going to implement them? Is there anyone but me that feels Apple secretly loves jailbreak and just sits back and waits for cool jailbroken features so they can edit the code and make it more Apple-esque? Apple is lucky the iPhone has the following it does when all they do is provide it with updates that should have been there in the previous version. Without jailbreak, I know I would not have the iPhone anymore and im sure a lot of you here wouldn't either.

With that, bring on 4.0!!!!

To me it looks as if, Apple is taking the Sony approach to this new firmware. They're using the jailbreaking community like Sony used DA for the PSP community. They know where their business success really relies on.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think Apple is going to have to bring a healthy hardware increase and possibly an incremental software increase or have more features than are listed here if they want to keep themselves at the front of phone development. In hardware they are currently getting slaughtered, although I haven't seen any specs for the iPhone 4g (or whatever it will be called), but if they don't bring increased screen resolution and an improved camera at least to the game, their hardware is going to fall behind big time.

On the software side, the only two things keeping Apple's OS ahead of Android in my opinion is the cleanliness and smoothness of their interface and the software users have built in the app store, with Android catching up on both aspects.

Now, I do believe once the iphone launches on Verizon and/or multiple carriers in the US, it will give it a big shot as it will be available to even more users and will become like Windows in a way where if you are developing an app for one platform, you will choose the one with the widest user base, and that will be the iphone for the foreseeable future.

I'll close with this, Apple's biggest problem is software like Android is updated whenever a new feature set is ready, not necessarily annually. Android already has features the iphone either doesn't have or doesn't have built-in that will cost a good chunk of change. With full voice control and voice to text entries for all fields, Android is a much more text friendly device than the iphone, especially while driving where typing is illegal in several areas. Also with built-in turn-by-turn navigation (instead of having to buy a piece of software that costs as much as a GPS) it offers a better bang for buck than the iphone does on the software side right now. I hope there are additional features coming out for the iPhone above those listed, or I too may end up looking at an Android phone instead of eventually updating my iphone.

Developer
    Thanks

I love how the build number in that mockup screenshot is 2-something.
    Apple doesn't use even build numbers for firmware versions, and we're already out of the 2* era of build numbers (1* and 3* were for 1.0 and 1.1, 5* was for 2.x, and 7* was for 3.x (7A341, 7D11, etc.))

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    What makes you think that? The FW for different devices is different - you can not run iPhone FW on an iPod Touch and you can't run 3Gs Fw on a 3G or 3G FW on a 2G.
    Apart from the baseband and included Carrier Bundles (as well as MobilePhone and SMS app bundles,) the firmwares used on the iPod touch 1G, iPhone 2G, and iPhone 3G are bitwise identical. We could theoretically create custom IPSWs that just contain 4.0 filesystems with backported capabilities plists (if even required.)

If an old 3.x iBoot can load the 4.x kernel (which, there's no reason it shouldn't - iBoot 2.x would not load a 3.x kernel in my limited testing, but that's because of the underlying 9.0->10.0 change,) it would even stand a good chance of booting.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

yes! bring it on...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Bring on the jailbreak :d
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Doesnt the 2G have the same processing power of the 3G, so why not just support it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

well i hope they don't loose track of fixing the stupid tethered jailbreak while finding a way to jailbreak 4.0

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Doesnt the 2G have the same processing power of the 3G, so why not just support it.
    Money, plain and simple. If they stop supporting the older phones, their hardcore fans won't care as they are often buying the latest and greatest anyway. The casual phone user can usually be talked into a new phone every two years with a contract renewal, and Apple makes money on every iPhone sold. So, after 2 years, Apple will keep some of the updates for the iPhone 2g, while restricting others (picture messaging and stereo bluetooth in the last update), now in this update, it basically does nothing for 2g users to get them to upgrade to one of the newer phones. Don't be shocked if the next update all but kills off the 3g.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

Wow, that would really suck if 4.0 didnt support my iPod Touch 2g. Like someone else said, it's the same hardware...

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Just one more week. I'm excited.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by synbios1978 View Post
    I think Apple is going to have to bring a healthy hardware increase and possibly an incremental software increase or have more features than are listed here if they want to keep themselves at the front of phone development. In hardware they are currently getting slaughtered, although I haven't seen any specs for the iPhone 4g (or whatever it will be called), but if they don't bring increased screen resolution and an improved camera at least to the game, their hardware is going to fall behind big time.

On the software side, the only two things keeping Apple's OS ahead of Android in my opinion is the cleanliness and smoothness of their interface and the software users have built in the app store, with Android catching up on both aspects.

Now, I do believe once the iphone launches on Verizon and/or multiple carriers in the US, it will give it a big shot as it will be available to even more users and will become like Windows in a way where if you are developing an app for one platform, you will choose the one with the widest user base, and that will be the iphone for the foreseeable future.

I'll close with this, Apple's biggest problem is software like Android is updated whenever a new feature set is ready, not necessarily annually. Android already has features the iphone either doesn't have or doesn't have built-in that will cost a good chunk of change. With full voice control and voice to text entries for all fields, Android is a much more text friendly device than the iphone, especially while driving where typing is illegal in several areas. Also with built-in turn-by-turn navigation (instead of having to buy a piece of software that costs as much as a GPS) it offers a better bang for buck than the iphone does on the software side right now. I hope there are additional features coming out for the iPhone above those listed, or I too may end up looking at an Android phone instead of eventually updating my iphone.
    I agree with what you said 99.99 %. The only thing i don't agree with is the screen resolution. I mean does it really need an upgrade? I don't see anything bad about the resolution. It's a phone not an LCD or Plasma T.V.

Thanks

whenever i read somthing like this i wanna run around in circles until i realise that this not such a big deal...
    backgrounder has been around for how long?

however, i will run in circles when the new iphone comes out.
    anyone know if they will bring it out in italy/ france at the same time as everywhere else?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Apple Updates are like last years Jailbroken apps. I'm not excited that Apple finally got around to what we could already do...once again. Show me the next iPhone, not another lame update.

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    Or you could just get fwchanger from cydia, like the guy at BGR said he did just for the article. lol.

MMi forgot to mention a few things in this report.
    Erm, Hexane was suggesting a method for creating a real 4.0 firmware for older devices, not a method for making it look like you already had 4.0 but really didn't.

Thanks

I will wait until I see it officially from Apple. If any of this rumored information is true, I will still wait for a jailbreak. Apple won't give us everything we want.

Just updated to 3.2.1 the other day and HAD to jailbreak and unlock again. All the nice Apple-esque UI Cupertino gives us isn't enough to get me to stay legit with their firmware offerings. This time I am staying far away from Winterboard.

Bosspaper
    Snappy and SnapTap
    LockInfo
    SBSettings
    GV Mobile + (yes finally!!)
    ProSwitcher and Backgrounder
    Overboard
    iFile
    YourTube
    Grip for notifications (Growl)
    Cydgets (for lockscreen)
    Winterboard for themers

Just some of the excellent (or works in progress) you can get now. The jailbreak community will always be one year ahead of Apple in providing useful and innovative ways to more efficiently use these devices.

PS - I love the jailbreak community!
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

Not impressed

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

We'll see if Apple's supported multitasking will be better than the backgrounder/ProSwitcher combo.

My guess is no.

tim