Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Back That Thing Up, iPhone...

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Back That Thing Up, iPhone...

Depending on which point of view you take, Carbonite offers a whole lot of awesomeness... or a whole lot of nothing for a lot of money. Nonetheless, Carbonite is out with a new iPhone app that let's customers access their Carbonite account from an iPhone portal so that you can check out your saved content from a PC or Mac right on your mobile browser.

Your computer is filled with irreplaceable files: emails, photos, music, business contacts and financials. Carbonite automatically and securely backs up the irreplaceable contents of your computer for only $54.95 per year no matter how much stuff you need to back up.
    If you're wondering why this is getting any degree of attention amidst a sea of other apps that basically do the same thing, your guess is as good as mine. Still, a lot of people are looking into the new app from Carbonite, despite the fact that it doesn't back up external hard drives - where many of us keep our most valuable digital content.

So what do you get for that yearly price tag?

* Browse: Users can browse backed up files directly on an iPhone or iPod Touch
    * View: Files including PDFs, images, audio, video, and Office documents can be opened and viewed on the mobile device
    * Share: Users can attach any file to an email with a single tap, allowing access to all files from anywhere, anytime.
    Although a free trial is available, most know what to expect from Carbonite - which has been around for a while. The app, however, has restored some interest, particularly with its "offline mode," enabling cached content to be reached any time (and attached to an email), even when internet connectivity isn't possible.

As the iPhone increasingly becomes an "all you need" device on the go, apps like the new offering from Carbonite will become far more popular in the future than we may presently envision. As a result, earlier this month, the Wall Street Journal listed "external hard drives" among the thinGs you shouldn't plan to buy in 2010.

These hard drives are one option for people who need more digital space to hold their many songs, movies and photos. But a simpler option may be found in online backup services, like Carbonite.com or Mozy.com, which allow users to back up data over the Internet. These services are more expensive than purchasing an external hard drive, which typically starts at around $70. At Carbonite.com, a one-year subscription starts at $54.95, and at Mozy.com monthly subscription costs total $54.45 for a year.
    Image via Weekly Reader

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (01-20-2010)

Thanks

$54.95?? I'll pass and stick to backing up to my computer (which is more reliable - don't have to worry about others stealing pictures, personal info, etc) through iTunes at a cost of $0 - the way it's supposed to be...
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

I think its a little MEH for the iphone but potentially awesome for a tablet ^__^
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

At a price tag like that nothing about it is awesome. Backing up your own devices is easy and simple. Just get an encryption software to safe guard it and you're done. I don't care about viewing backed up files on my phone.

>.> Well unless you have some kind of major hardware failure you are basically dropping money on something you will never actually need. Just but a large external/internal drive and use it as a backup hell I have an external backup drive I have been using for 5 years without problems.

Eh, no real need for an iPhone app. I use CrashPlan (which doesn't have an iPhone app) for online backups and it works great. You can also backup to an external hard drive or friend's computer using their software. I'll stick with them.
    Last edited by billchase2; 01-19-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why does that iPhone say cingular?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Davisman View Post
    Why does that iPhone say cingular?
    Looks like an old photo from 1.x.x (iPhone 2G). Cingular was purchased by AT&T. Either that or a die-hard cingular fan used Makeitmine

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hmm, unless some catastrophic natural disaster strikes my area or my house burns down, can't really see the benefit.

I'll keep my 2tb Raid 5 array, and keep the internet's grubby little hands off of my private files.

I'll pass on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    ........Cingular was purchased by AT&T........
    Cingular was AT&T. AT&T switched to the name Cingular when they went from the landline buisness into the wireless buisness. [they wanted to sound more hip to the younger generation] when they weren't getting enough attention due to the name change. [since no one knew what Cingular was] they switched back to being named AT&T. the more recognizable phone name. where their buisness gained more notoriety for wireless.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    Cingular was AT&T. AT&T switched to the name Cingular when they went from the landline buisness into the wireless buisness. [they wanted to sound more hip to the younger generation] when they weren't getting enough attention due to the name change. [since no one knew what Cingular was] they switched back to being named AT&T. the more recognizable phone name. where their buisness gained more notoriety for wireless.
    No...I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember but cingular used to belong to Bellsouth.

"Originally Cingular Wireless LLC, a joint venture between SBC Communications and BellSouth, the company acquired the old AT&T Wireless in 2004; SBC later acquired the original AT&T and re-branded as "The New AT&T". Cingular became wholly-owned by The New AT&T in December 2006 as a result of AT&T's acquisition of BellSouth."

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

55 bucks annually??
    No thank you, I use Logmein.

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    No...I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember but cingular used to belong to Bellsouth.

"Originally Cingular Wireless LLC, a joint venture between SBC Communications and BellSouth, the company acquired the old AT&T Wireless in 2004; SBC later acquired the original AT&T and re-branded as "The New AT&T". Cingular became wholly-owned by The New AT&T in December 2006 as a result of AT&T's acquisition of BellSouth."

hmmm....your argument sounds convincing. i may be slightly wrong.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

WHAT!?!!? THE IPHONE IS GOIGN TO CINGULAR INSTEAD OF VERIZON!?!?!? lol...

Wow, whoever wrote that at Wall Street is the office idiot. I'm sure all people store on external HARD DRIVES is documents and tiny crap they could just download on the fly. Please. Maybe buying a FLASH drive is a bit pointless now, I'd agree there, but am I gonna play movies and download each song individually from a backup service as I browse my music collection? I think not. People store massive stuff on external drives, not piddly documents and such.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Defend
    I guess I will be the only one defending online backups. I have used Carbonite for a few years, why?

I have 3 externals but I have 10 years worth of family pictures and videos on my computer and if I ever had hardware failure OR a fire, etc....I would lose 10 years of memories. $50 a year is worth preserving that, in my opinion!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaynoonan View Post
    I guess I will be the only one defending online backups. I have used Carbonite for a few years, why?

I have 3 externals but I have 10 years worth of family pictures and videos on my computer and if I ever had hardware failure OR a fire, etc....I would lose 10 years of memories. $50 a year is worth preserving that, in my opinion!!
    well, you wouldn't really lose the memories unless someone wiped your brain. How often do you sift through all 10 years by the way?