+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fact or Rumor: New iPhone OS To Be Revealed Next Week

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Fact or Rumor: New iPhone OS To Be Revealed Next Week

That's the big news in the iPhone world today. Yesterday we reported that the new iPhone OS could be revealed on January 27th. Now it looks as though the big reveal is a done deal as this information is widely believed to be based on fact more than it is a rumor.

From PC World
    :

Fox News posted an article Monday claiming that not only will next week's now-confirmed Apple event play host to the long-rumored tablet unveiling, but it will also see the next iteration of Apple's iLife software on show. Fox's report also claims that Apple will discuss the next iPhone OS update.
    The January 27th event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco could very well surpass everyone's expectations. Making up for the "let down" that some Apple fans reported after last September's event, next week's event is poised to present three "potentially spectacular" items listed above.

Naturally, the invitations emblazoned with the words: “Come see our latest creation” have everyone whipping out their highest hopes for the occasion.

The article by Fox News' Clayton Morris is boldly titled "Apple Tablet, iPhone 4 Launch Confirmed for January 27th" (never mind the fact that it's always iffy to "confirm" any new Apple product until Steve Jobs stands onstage with it), and goes on to detail a conversation Morris allegedly had with an Apple source early Monday morning.
    Similar sources close to Apple are saying that the folks in Cupertino may ultimately be more excited about the 4th generation iPhone than the tablet - although that is monumentally difficult for anyone outside of the Apple bubble to comprehend. While it is all but certain that next week's event will live up to the hype surrounding a reveal months in the making, the January 27th extravaganza could very well prove a game changer in more ways than the space on this site will presently allow me to chronicle.

Image via On The Button

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Junta200 (01-19-2010), mosesh (01-19-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Let's just hope it's got some good additions and updates.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm really hoping for the iPhone part to be true! could care less about the "tablet"

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Hope they show iPhone firmware 4.0, please, please, please let it have a new UI or allow some kind of themeing inc colours and fonts!!!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks
    That is amazing news, Thanks bro!!!
    Can't wait for iPhone 4G

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

they will not reveal os 4.0. it will traditionally alongside the (possible) release of a new iphone.

dont ask me how i know this. there is word that there will be an os 3.0 update! (putting the software at either os 3.4 or the half mark, os 3.5 which will have a few significant upgrades.)

iPhone? More like MyPhone GreggSymington's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ForumSnoBorderRK View Post
    they will not reveal os 4.0. it will traditionally alongside the (possible) release of a new iphone.
    Untrue... 3.0 Beta was released in March 09, 3Gs in July...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think everyone has sky high expectations for 4.0. I really hope the home screen, notifications, and just general interface get completely overhauled. I think Apple will do right by us and we'll see something special in 4.0.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

@ForumSnoBorderRK - The reason iPhone OS 4.0 is possible is if the tablet will run a modified version of the iPhone OS for App Store compatibility. They would then release this update alongside the release of the TABLET... not the next generation iPhone.

Thanks

aint beliving chet untill i see it.. but i doooo hope for a new iphone... my contract is almost up!!!!

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos916 View Post
    aint beliving chet untill i see it.. but i doooo hope for a new iphone... my contract is almost up!!!!
    I'm pretty sure the new iPhone isn't coming out until June. The new OS may come out next week, as well as a "new product" which is most likely the tablet.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Green Apple
    Thanks

They will announce the new features in 4.0 and release the SDK for developers so they can optimize their apps for a higher resolution on either 3.gen iPhone or the new Tablet, properly both...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

They could unveil a new iPhone and release it in June. They did that with the first iPhone.

Anyway I still believe there won't be a tablet or at least not what everyone is expecting. It just doesn't make sense to me. But if there is really a tablet good for people who are hyped about it. I personally am not.

I'm pretty sure the big news will be the iPhone 4G. The 3G and 3GS were such small updates and I believe Apple planned something big for the next iPhone. I really hope my prediction of a real 16:9 screen is true. That would be why the 4.0 SDK allows to upscale apps.

Front facing cam and flash I hope And there will be one other big secret no one knows about. I think the iPhone 4G will own all the other phones for good. But yeah wait and see.
    Last edited by M4tt Dam0n; 01-19-2010 at 11:43 AM.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Thanks

i'm really looking forward to the new firmware.. but it BETTER be awesome if they expect me to update from my jb 3.1.2 firmware.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Apple may also reveal the iPhone 4.0 OS due to the increased competition in the smartphone sector.
    #eli7e revived me

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ForumSnoBorderRK View Post

dont ask me how i know this. there is word that there will be an os 3.0 update! (putting the software at either os 3.4 or the half mark, os 3.5 which will have a few significant upgrades.)
    That doesn't make sense. Apple has never skipped a firmware level. The next firmware upgrade if any, would be 3.2 not 3.4 or 3.5. Apple creates things in an orderly fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    They could unveil a new iPhone and release it in June. They did that with the first iPhone.

Anyway I still believe there won't be a tablet or at least not what everyone is expecting. It just doesn't make sense to me. But if there is really a tablet good for people who are hyped about it. I personally am not.

I'm pretty sure the big news will be the iPhone 4G. The 3G and 3GS were such small updates and I believe Apple planned something big for the next iPhone. I really hope my prediction of a real 16:9 screen is true. That would be why the 4.0 SDK allows to upscale apps.

Front facing cam and flash I hope And there will be one other big secret no one knows about. I think the iPhone 4G will own all the other phones for good. But yeah wait and see.
    16:9 ratio on an iPhone? What? that doesn't make sense to me... That screen is for TVs not iPhones.
    Last edited by hollow0; 01-19-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I hear iphones will be sold factory jailbroken.

How 'bout them apples?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    That doesn't make sense. Apple has never skipped a firmware level. The next firmware upgrade if any, would be 3.2 not 3.4 or 3.5. Apple creates things in an orderly fashion.

16:9 ratio on an iPhone? What? that doesn't make sense to me... That screen is for TVs not iPhones.
    Why wouldn't that make sense? Alot of phones do have real widescreen. Apple called the iPhone a widescreen iPod but it's not. Wacthing youtube content would be better and playing games also due to the virtual buttons taking space. They would only need to add like 1 cm to the width of the screen. Just reduce the home buttton a bit to the size of the ipod touch one and move the ear speaker up a bit.
    Last edited by M4tt Dam0n; 01-19-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

peep this yall:

That’s right, y’all. We’re back at it, and this time we’ve received some exclusive iPhone OS 4.0 details from one of our trusty Apple connects.
    Here are some iPhone OS 4.0 features, according to our guy:

* There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide. (Would make sense for that as the rumored OS for the iTablet is close if not the same as the iPhone)
    * “A few new ways” to run applications in the background — multitasking.
    * Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier and more efficient. We haven’t had this broken down, but we can only hope for improved notifications, a refreshed homescreen, etc.
    * The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but will “put them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers” more than any other phone to date. Everyone is “really excited.”
    * The last piece of information is the most vague, but apparently there will be some brand new syncin

Apple iPhone OS 4.0 features detailed! Also, Apple calling tablet the iTablet? Boy Genius Report

Thanks

I wonder if Steve will be on stage front and center for this...give us iPhone and iPod Touch users something to drool about. No more dashed hopes like last years iPhone refresh. Bring the big apples, the competition is heating up.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare