Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trapster, Speed Trap Finder App, Hits 4.0

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Trapster, Speed Trap Finder App, Hits 4.0

Trapster has just gone to version 4.0 of its iPhone app with a number of new features and enhancements. With over 3 million users and 1.2 million traps reported across the planet, the worldwide "speed trap sharing system" claims to have the most up to date information on police hiding spots and road hazards, using a peer-to-peer approach (hence the reference to Napster).

The app provides what it calls "virtual radar technology" to keep you apprised of what the global community of users is seeing. Trapster uses your phone's GPS and a Google Maps overlay to sync with the database, and gives you spoken warnings if you're near a speed trap or accident. If you see something you want to warn other motorists about, it allows you to add a hotspot by simply tapping your iPhone as you're passing by.

Trapster allows you to tag hotspots as "police often hide here", "red light camera", "speed camera" and "mobile speed camera" in addition to construction sites and accidents. Based on the number of users who note a particular hotspot, the confidence level is rated with a green, yellow, red, or grey flag. Users who note hotspots that end up highly rated gain credibility points with the system.

Version 4.0 adds a new feature called Patrol, which displays how recently another Trapster user has driven down the same road as you, helping you gauge the credibility of reports. And Caravan mode shows the locations of other users in real-time, and this mode as well as Facebook Connect and iPhone-to-iPhone connectivity allows you to share your experiences with your friends and contacts.

Trapster offers a lot for the price: free on the App Store. A drawback noted by many users is that the constant GPS and data network usage eats up battery life, so a car charger is definitely recommended.

image via appcraver.com

wow thats cool

Let me take out my key and turn you on
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

just got it!! has helped me so much around my cop ridden city and on road trips
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

I have been using Trapster for a good while now and love it!

It has slowed me down more then a few times

the phone has "nice" signal strength in that picture.

^^ rofl!!

Come to my country, you will love signal strength

Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
    the phone has "nice" signal strength in that picture.
    And it's on the Edge network, not 3G.

Wonder if that's a joke esp considering it's right by Apple's Cupertino headquarters.

im going to give this a shot. useful at least in the fact that its free.

eh...well i tried it. too slow and cumbersome. buttons are small. i'll end up getting into an accident just trying to function the darn thing.
    Last edited by rhekt; 01-19-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Tried this app. It's very cool, but it sucks my battery like there's no tomorrow.

Got Trapster today and tried it out driving home from work. After less than 30 minutes of using it in the car with the iphone also plugged into the charger, the back of my phone was hot to the touch.

Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
    the phone has "nice" signal strength in that picture. :d
    lol!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

It works ok but I rather rely on my actual radar detector

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I agree. It's too much of a hassle to be running this app while you drive. I use Slacker Radio and my 3G can't run them both at the same time. So I definitely rely on my radar detector, as cops always find new places to sit on.

However, if you have a radar detector and you get hit by a laser, it won't do anything as they have your speed by the time you get an alert. They're a must for K and Ka bands though!
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

I thought cops are only allowed to use radar on interstates and highways. They have to use VASCAR (which is just some basic Physics 1 knowledge) on local streets and on inner city roads.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

You might be right, I'm not sure. Around here the cops only hangout on the interstates and highways.

You might be right, I'm not sure. Around here the cops only hangout on the interstates and highways.
    Ah yes, that would make sense to be in possession of one of those there. If I didn't live in the sleepy town of South Park, I might actually try this Trapster out. Only pull-overs I've gotten were from plain stupidity (doubling the speed limit right after making an illegal left with a cop RIGHT behind me)

CoPilot has very good Safety (we're not allowed to call them speed) camera notifications so I'll stick to that.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I never really liked trapster but that's probably because of where I live... I would most likely use it if more people in my city used this app.