+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Among Tools Helping Haiti Earthquake Victims

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
As one of the worst natural disasters recorded in human history and likely the most cataclysmic documented in the digital age, the victims left in the wake of the January
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iPhone Among Tools Helping Haiti Earthquake Victims

As one of the worst natural disasters recorded in human history and likely the most cataclysmic documented in the digital age, the victims left in the wake of the January 12th earthquake that reduced Haiti to rubble are receiving financial aid from around the world, much of which has been made possible via the power of smartphones like the iPhone and social networking platforms.

From The New York Times:

Old-fashioned television telethons can stretch on for hours. But the latest charity appeal is short enough for Twitter: "Text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to @RedCross relief." In the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti, many Americans are reaching for their cellphones to make a donation via text message. And plenty of them are then spreading the word to others on sites like Twitter and Facebook.
    For a moment, social media is retreating from its primary use as a casual tool to keep contact with friends. Instead, the power of mobile technology is being harnessed to help those now facing unprecedented human suffering in Haiti. And, to date, the results have proven nearly breathtaking.

"There is an enormous outpouring for this effort," said Wendy Harman, social media manager at the Red Cross. "It's such an easy way to give and pass around through social sites on the Web." The mobile donations are part of a larger surge of money flowing to the relief effort. The Red Cross said it had collected nearly $35 million as of Thursday night, surpassing the amounts it received in the same time period after Hurricane Katrina and the Indian Ocean tsunami.
    From large media outlets using social media like Twitter to cover happenings on the ground in Haiti, to websites across the blogosphere using digital real estate to drive funds to Haiti and the Red Cross, social networking has suspended all silliness and selflessly rallied behind a human emergency of epic proportions.

The Red Cross expects that donations made through more established channels - writing a check or on the Web - will still far outweigh text-message giving. But the cellphone campaign may be reaching people who might not otherwise have made the effort to get involved.
    More than $5 million has already been raised for the Red Cross through text-driven donations alone. Microsoft and Google have also pledged $1.5 million and $1 million, respectively.

To get involved or help in the fundraising efforts, please visit the Red Cross website for more information.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i did that today. at least it going for a good cause.

Thanks

so, what if i send 100 messages?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Unfortunately Haiti has the most government corruption and is the poorest country in the world. They receive billions of dollars annually for relief funds and still most family survive on only $2 a day. It is horrible that most of the money sent over for relief now will probably be stolen by government officials. You might find this interesting: Haiti: Where will all the money go?
    Last edited by Melech518; 01-15-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

well... good thing helping those in need but taking it away from them... props to rebuild the presidents palace

Thanks

I wish America responded like this to our own internal problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    I wish America responded like this to our own internal problems.
    really? REALLY? when has anything of this magnitude been ignored within our borders? don't say Katrina, because you didn't have limbs poking out of debris piles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Unfortunately Haiti has the most government corruption and is the poorest country in the world. They receive billions of dollars annually for relief funds and still most family survive on only $2 a day. It is horrible that most of the money sent over for relief now will probably be stolen by government officials. You might find this interesting: Haiti: Where will all the money go?
    I have to agree. It is true. Looks like our taxes are going to Haiti. Why should we help them? They can't solve their own problems and they are screwed up.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    really? REALLY? when has anything of this magnitude been ignored within our borders? don't say Katrina, because you didn't have limbs poking out of debris piles.
    Yeah Katrina victims just drowned in their living rooms, got eaten by alligators, and lost everything that they ever worked for. The point is that it was horrible, just not of Haiti's earthquake magnitued. Natural disasters are just horrible experiences, but it is what it is. I don't question God's work. I definitely thank God that the Bush administration isn't still intact. It would have took him a week just to acknowledge the situation. He would have been at a Dallas Cowboys practice or something.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Crappy Title
    Yea it's accurate to say that "iphone" among tools to help Haiti relief, but it's a bit "sensationlist."

ANY phone is used as a tool to text. The title makes it sound like some special app the iphone has helped in the relief.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noodles12 View Post
    Yea it's accurate to say that "iphone" among tools to help Haiti relief, but it's a bit "sensationlist."

ANY phone is used as a tool to text. The title makes it sound like some special app the iphone has helped in the relief.
    They think the iPhone is god.

Thanks

".....As one of the worst natural disasters recorded in human history......"

.....so..nobody has heard of the Flood?......Noahs Ark?....none of that?.....ya know...world disaster....

im all for helping out. but not just to make myself feel better. or make myself LOOK better to everyone else.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

I just donated $30 via Red Cross. Not much I know, but it all helps (if it even gets to the victims anyways... )

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    ".....As one of the worst natural disasters recorded in human history......"

.....so..nobody has heard of the Flood?......Noahs Ark?....none of that?.....ya know...world disaster....

im all for helping out. but not just to make myself feel better. or make myself LOOK better to everyone else.
    Sure, the Bible is FULL of factual information...

It doesn't matter if it's the biggest or the smallest, people have died. I have never experienced any form of disaster per se, so I consider myself lucky. These donations will at least help finding and helping survivors, as well as rebuilding everything.
    Last edited by Amraam; 01-16-2010 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

WOW, Haitian government gets $800 million from 2004 - 2008 and the people living there are more poor than some of our homeless here in the states.

Sorry but count me in the cynical boat here. All this money ("relief aid") won't see it down to those people that need it most. The corruption there is terrible.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks
    Angry I am Disgusted!
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    I have to agree. It is true. Looks like our taxes are going to Haiti. Why should we help them? They can't solve their own problems and they are screwed up.
    I am Haitian and yes haiti has a lot of corruption but so does everywhere else. As to why you should help well that is the Humane thing to do but I guess your a heartless bastard.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So's every other phone that can send sms....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    WOW, Haitian government gets $800 million from 2004 - 2008 and the people living there are more poor than some of our homeless here in the states.

Sorry but count me in the cynical boat here. All this money ("relief aid") won't see it down to those people that need it most. The corruption there is terrible.
    thank you my point exactly
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone BEEKS's Avatar
    Thanks

Please just help regardless of your suspicions about what happened in the past and the Government situation. Let's trust that the Red Cross etc. will do the right thing in a disaster of this magnitude and the money will get to the people.

Please text "Haiti" to 90999. Doing so will automatically donate $10 for Haitian rescue and recover efforts and will be billed on your bill.

Thanks in advance to the Modmyi.com community

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilcappo33 View Post
    I am Haitian and yes haiti has a lot of corruption but so does everywhere else. As to why you should help well that is the Humane thing to do but I guess your a heartless bastard.
    It's my decision, not yours, beggar!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilcappo33 View Post
    Name calling is not necessary. The truth is that there are billions of dollars going into the relief efforts. American tax dollars already contribute to billions annually going to Haiti. Everyone has the right to decided whether or not they want to contribute more money to the relief efforts, but as Americans, we are ALL already contributing by being tax payers.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME