Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buffalo Dualie Shifts iPhone Into Hard Drive

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Buffalo Dualie Shifts iPhone Into Hard Drive

Now this is cool... and a lot more practical as an accessory than an iPhone bazooka or an iPod stool - maybe. According to coverage from Gizmodo:

iPod docks can already be found on speakers, alarm clocks, kitchen scales, space heaters, lamps, cars, bikes and I'm sure in a bunch of other wacky things. Leaving no stone unturned, Buffalo is releasing the Dualie, a hard drive/dock combo.
    Although the iPhone has been mounted, duct taped, or welded to just about any related (or unrelated) object imaginable, I would venture to guess that the Buffalo Dualie is among the first docks you've seen that juxtaposes an iPhone dock with an external hard drive. So obvious and logical, it makes you scratch your head in amazement that we've seen some of the bizarre iPhone modifications out there before this sensible arrangement for which there could be significant demand.

The Dualie combines a docking station for iPhones and iPods of all generations with a 500 GB hard drive, saving you some desk space and coughing up two USB ports for your trouble.
    Pretty sweet, huh? This nifty little guy serves up an innovative offering with which your iPhone can be practically accessorized. In case you're wondering, however, the "Dualie" is available only with a "Buffalo-branded" portable hard drive replete with a FireWire 800 port. Buffalo's device then naturally accommodates the Apple Store prerequisite that its available products offer both USB 2.0 and FireWire.

The device allows for simultaneous iPod- and iPhone-syncing and access to the hard drive's files.... comes formatted for Macs out of the box, and is Time Machine-ready, though drivers for Windows are included.
    The "world's first combined storage solution and docking station" for the iPhone and iPod retails for $249.99, with this "exclusive product" available only in the Apple Store.

Image via Gizmodo

It would be nice if it automatically backed up your iPhone every time it was docked
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    It would be nice if it automatically backed up your iPhone every time it was docked
    now THAT would be neat

Hell yeah to that!

I just might look at this when I'm buying my next external HDD.

Thanks

There is a magical creation called "iTunes".....

Thanks

that would be awesome no more loading itunes. imagine it, ahhh the future!

Quote Originally Posted by jdyates View Post
    ****, i think he was referring to a autosync feature to save to the hard drive or vice versa, instead of opening itunes and going through it there
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^But wouldn't iTunes open up anyway when you connect it?? Does for me.

So would back up anyway.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Quote Originally Posted by jdyates View Post
    Wow, you must be slow.

Quote Originally Posted by ecd5000 View Post
    that would be awesome no more loading itunes. Imagine it, ahhh the future!

****, i think he was referring to a autosync feature to save to the hard drive or vice versa, instead of opening itunes and going through it there
    ^exactly!
    Last edited by Melech518; 01-15-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Thanks

I need one of those...
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

This is for what now? Does it make an image of your phone? Why exactly would I want to hook it up to a HDD?

Can someone just spell this out for me because I don't get it.

interesting
    killall Terminal[]

i got a solution for that, get a monitor with a ipod dock like i do and everytime i place my phone on the dock it opens up itunes and backs it up =D

Lol, I dont really need a solution. You would drool if you saw my set up

This would be perfect if you could backup your jailbroken iPhone entirely cydia apps and all. But 250.00 it way too much.

Question 500 GB? Seems too much...
    Unless it comes with a free app that acts as a GUI for the HDD and lets you swap music, movies, etc. around, doesn't it seem completely useless to have a backup storage device bigger than 32GB? I mean, I can understand going bigger for the sake of accommodating future iPhones, but by the time they reach 500GB, this piece of hardware will be completely outdated. It will only be useful (and worth a single penny) if you can interact with the HDD directly through the iPhone while it's docked, making it a complete replacement for syncing with iTunes, the exceptions being carrier updates and whatnot.

Lol, I dont really need a solution. You would drool if you saw my set up
    ummm... lets see it

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

too many people are missing the f'in point its an external HDD that incorporates an ipod/iphone dock to be sleek and only consume one port on your comp. JEEZ!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...