+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4G iPhone to Have Touch-Sensitive Case?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
As the tablet becomes (apparently) closer and closer to reality, rumor-mongers are turning their attention to the fourth generation iPhone. As Apple has updated the phone every year since it
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 4G iPhone to Have Touch-Sensitive Case?

As the tablet becomes (apparently) closer and closer to reality, rumor-mongers are turning their attention to the fourth generation iPhone. As Apple has updated the phone every year since it was first introduced in 2007, the expectation is that there will be a new iPhone this summer. Recent rumors have had the so-called iPhone 4G coming in a Verizon-compatible CDMA model in addition to the current UMTS/GSM device, and with a videoconferencing ability, among other guesses. The latest is somewhat unexpected: that the phone will have multi-touch capabilities built into its case, turning the phone into what is essentially a mobile version of the recently released Magic Mouse.

Goldman Sachs analyst Robert Chen said, in an interview with Bloomberg, that the new iPhone will have a touch-sensitive plastic case and a five-megapixel camera. Chen, touted by Bloomberg as "a member of Asia’s top-ranked technology hardware research team" says this would bring multi-touch and gesture controls on the rear of the iPhone that are like the Magic Mouse's. “Apple’s going to put a lot of innovation, not just on the hardware, but also on the software of the new iPhone,” he said.

The analyst also told Bloomberg that he thinks that the phone will go into production in April in time for a June launch, right on track with Apple's historical schedule: the original iPhone was released in June 2007, with the 3G coming in July of 2008 and followed by the 3GS last June.

Though a back-controlled phone seems counter-intuitive, Apple applied for a patent back in 2006 for what it referred to as an "Electronic Device Having Display and Surrounding Touch Sensitive Bezel for User Interface and Control." The patent showed a dual-sided, touch sensitive device that is all display on the front, with the touch-sensitive back and sides of the device used for the controls. It said that by this method, more of the screen can be used for displaying graphics, with control buttons embedded in the touch surface. In certain contexts, though, where using the sides would be impractical because the user is gripping the device, on-screen buttons would be used.

Though the touch-sensitive case rumor is new, other sources have reported that Apple is purchasing five-megapixel sensors from a Taiwanese supplier for use in the next-generation iPhone.

image via AppleInsider
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 01-14-2010 at 01:18 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

sweet =]

Banned
    Thanks

Gg !!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So much for using a case to protect your phone, unless there will now be touch sensitive cases.

Thanks

Touch sensitive case??? Even if this is true, I can only shudder at the astronomical damage it will do to our pockets in terms of cost, cos I certainly don't see Apple giving it away for free!!!

All the same, I'll believe it when I see it!

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Totally can see how this can be applied to gaming!!!! We can now have trigger buttons!

Totally cool. Definitely would love to see this.
    #eli7e revived me

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see this happening. Out this whole article i can only see the 5 megapixel camera into production of the 4G iPhone. Any details of what the processor and memory will be in the new iPhone???

Thanks

what the hell is the point of a touch sensitive case when it has a touch screen??

Thanks

From the picture it seems as though you only touch the outside of the screen to access/activate what you want. Terrible idea IMHO.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I doubt it, The patent was filed in '06, pre-iPhone, I doubt it will come out now if it never did before.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

well I'm going to hope for it. would totally improve games potential. like k.nitsua said. hopping for FASTFASTFAST processor for much more advanced games. (and less lagging for us jailbreakers)

Thanks

Believe when I see it

Thanks

********, not gonna happen..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I swear there's soon gonna be a "fingering" app

This idea seems ***, what is the point of touch screen on the sides an back, aren't cases suppose to cover those? If they do sell a touch sensitive case it'll probably have us shell out $100+ which would probably be the price of the phone we would pay for...

Thanks

Nice, I hope this is not only a rumor.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jaredb03's Avatar
    Thanks

Either the 4g phone is going to be huge or those are the smallest fingers i have ever seen.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Sometimes, your finger covers what you need to see to properly interact with the screen by touch. Also, inadvertant "taps" are a problem when scrolling through object-laden interfaces. I can see this being used to scroll in webpages without accidentally "clicking" and move pointers around, such as when controling a remote desktop or even when simply needing more precision than your fingertips covering the exact point of interaction. I'm already sufficiently annoyed by all the amature apps that can't even follow the platform's example of "pop-up" keys... like that free Sudoku app. It's always causing mis-entries and penalizing you for it! Fat chance getting me to buy your premium version with a poor demo like that! It's supposed to reflect the quality of the paid app, so i'll just assume that it does.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Really? How hard is it to move your finger over an 1/8th of an inch and actually touch the screen?

Thanks
    This will be amazing for me and not amazing for those who cant use like an iphone, such as my girlfriend and my brother, they both hate how ist all touch screen how they open things an call people by mistake then they blame the phone. It's not them its the phone.
    OK then, whatever.
    I can only imagine them and people who lack the ability to control touch screen devices get used to a touch case as well as touch screem, thats if theres actually truth to this rumour which I hope there is, for a few reasons, one being its cool as, and the other is the frustrating look on my brothers face!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

seems like too many buttons.
    !!!OVERKILL!!!

they need to work on the components that drop calls
    according to Gizmodo its not AT&T its the circuits of the phone itself