+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Qi: Wireless Power Standard "Within 6 Months"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
An industry group is developing a standard for wireless charging of devices like digital cameras and cell phones, and expects to complete its technical specification within six months. The spec,
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Qi: Wireless Power Standard "Within 6 Months"

An industry group is developing a standard for wireless charging of devices like digital cameras and cell phones, and expects to complete its technical specification within six months. The spec, when released, will allow manufacturers to release compatible wireless charging stations that will work with a range of devices, including a $30 iPhone sleeve.

Wireless charging uses a mat or other inductive surface that plugs into a wall outlet to automatically recharge any device that's placed near it. This would allow for more convenient recharging, and eliminate the tangle of charger cables and proliferation of "wall-wart" AC-DC power supplies familiar to all owners of multiple portable devices.

The Wireless Power Consortium - an industry group made up of 27 manufacturers such as Nokia, Research In Motion, Philips, Sanyo, Samsung Electronics, Energizer and Hewlett-Packard, Texas Instruments and Fulton Innovation - plans to complete its standard before the middle of the year, according to Menno Treffers, a Philips executive who serves as chairman of the consortium. If it's not ready by then, he said, "I will eat my hat," speaking to a group of vendors at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Friday in a report carried by the IDG News Service.

Wireless charging technology uses magnetic induction to transfer power from metal coils built into the mat to similar coils in the device to be charged when they are placed close to each other. According to the emerging standard, mats will be able to deliver up to 5 watts of power, which should be enough to charge most cameras and phones. A separate standard will be developed for larger devices, such as laptops. "We want to start on that as soon as possible, but for now we don't want to dilute our engineering efforts," Treffers said.

There are several wireless chargers currently available, like the Wii Energizer charger and the Powermat charging station that works with many phones and portable devices. The standard will allow many more devices to be released for general use, and vendors are holding off on developing new products for the time being. "We're done for now until the standard is complete," said Serge Traylor, an executive at Energizer. After the standard is complete, he said, Energizer will release a compatible mat for charging one or two devices for about $100, and charging sleeves for iPhone and Blackberry devices that will cost $30 to $40.

image via the Wireless Power Consortium
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 01-10-2010 at 11:42 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like an excellent idea, i would love to do away with my iPhone sync cable. I just had to buy a new one when i got my dock, would be great to just integrate everything, including my girlfriends BB.

Thanks

I think great idea

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Apple will release their own version

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

^Yup
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Who needs a sleeve when your MacBook and iPhone have it built in

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No, by then Apple will have come out with a power-crystal or whatever that allows all idevices to be 100% charged in two minutes by simply thinking it [chalk another rumor up for the iSlate/iTablet possibilities :-)].

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't they already have this? Powermat.com | Introducing Powermat

Quote Originally Posted by shadowtrainer02 View Post
    No, by then Apple will have come out with a power-crystal or whatever that allows all idevices to be 100% charged in two minutes by simply thinking it [chalk another rumor up for the iSlate/iTablet possibilities :-)].
    Right, that's why the iPhone has had such stellar battery life even in its third incarnation.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-10-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone DanTheManMS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Don't they already have this? Powermat.com | Introducing Powermat
    Yes, but that's hardly a "standard" which is what this article is about. The idea is so that any manufacturer can create a device that's compatible with this wireless charging system, without relying on the proprietary Powermat system.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Apple will release their own version
    Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    ^Yup
    and then only later be sued by nokia who still hadnt released their own i might add
    killall Terminal[]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'd like to know the specifics of how this technology works.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Surely six months isn't long enough to create a standard for something this important?

Thanks

Phone companies have agreed on a standard for chargers which will greatly reduce the number of chargers needed.
    Until this is built in to every device most people won't be interested - I certainly won't be using it until it's built in.
    In order for it to get built in it needs to be popular enough for it to be worth while, a standard is the first step but will it gain critical mass? I'm not sure.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Amazing wireless energy