+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Qualcomm to Power Verizon iPhone?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Qualcomm to Power Verizon iPhone?

According to an "exclusive" from the financial website TheStreet.com, the supposed new Verizon iPhone will be powered by a chip from Qualcomm. Contradicting earlier rumors, though, the phone would not be dual mode - allowing it to be used both on CSMA systems like Verizon's and GSM networks like AT&T's in the US - but rather based on a standard EV-DO chip from Qualcomm.

Quoting Northeast Securities analyst Ashok Kumar - who himself had "confirmed the decision with the manufacturers and suppliers involved," TheStreet.com's Scott Moritz wrote that Qualcomm has closed the deal to produce a CDMA-based iPhone. Kumar says that Apple had originally asked for a dual-mode chip but wasn't happy with the results, which resulted in them choosing the conventional chip. Kumar did not detail what Apple had found fault with, but Electronista notes that "dual-network phones have often had significant if sometimes artificial limitations in their frequency support."

Qualcomm's high-performance Snapdragon chips have been featured in some high-profile phones - from the original Android handheld, T-Mobile's G1, to the new Google Nexus One - and even Lenovo's new Skylight subnetbook. The manufacturer had recently trumpeted its forthcoming dual-mode HSPA/CDMA chipset that was at the time heralded as the heart of a new hybrid iPhone. The chip is expected at the end of the year, so the timing is being held up as a reason why it is thought that chip is being passed on for the 4G iPhone, as new models have heretofore released in summer.

Industry observers are seeing any move to Qualcomm as a blow to Infineon, which has supplied the chipsets for every iPhone since it was released. Some reports have laid the blame on Infineon's chips for the iPhone's widely-lamented poor performance on AT&T’s network.

image via Nexus404

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

well hot darn some more propaganda...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

If the chip is going to cause network problems, signal problems, and possibly raise the price of the iPhone then Apple should pass. If they can get all the bugs worked out then it could be pretty sweet to be able to switch carriers (T-Mobile to Verizon) and keep the same phone.

Thanks

"Verizon iPhone will be powered by a chip from Qualcomm"
    well this is obvious.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like to see a hybrid iPhone created still, but if the newer iPhones aren't jailbreakable, the. I hate to say it, I might ditch the iPhone for the nexus one or one of the other badass phones running off android

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

According to the photo shown with this story/thread, it would appear that Verizon will get a three year old version of the original iPhone rather than the current model.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tsatryan For This Useful Post:

Channan (01-08-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Great news!!!! Once this happens...... we will all need those little coverage maps in our sigs (when we post) so that we all know who is still getting screwed by AT&T! Can't wait!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Yea he should have posted a photo of the actual verizon iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Everyday it's a differant story about iPhone and verizon..it's not happening

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

If Verizon gets this damn phone I am buying one and microwaving it!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    According to the photo shown with this story/thread, it would appear that Verizon will get a three year old version of the original iPhone rather than the current model.
    Facepalm

anyone agree?
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here's the real question will the New 4g iPhone be avaible only verizon or will they have one for AT&T.
    I hope they have one for AT&T also as verizon sucks I looked at the phone plans and they are over priced.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Cdma
    I think you meant CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access). CSMA (Carrier Sense Multiple Access) is computer networking protocol.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA]Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Verizon and AT&T plans are near carbon copies.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Man I hope this is true!!! a strictly CDMA iphone will crash the VZW network and then all the AT&T haters will have to shut up. And VZW customers with iPhones wont be able to do anything while talking on their phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akosko01 View Post
    Man I hope this is true!!! a strictly CDMA iphone will crash the VZW network and then all the AT&T haters will have to shut up. And VZW customers with iPhones wont be able to do anything while talking on their phone.
    Ya know, you wouldn't think surfing the web while being on the phone as a big deal, but after seeing the AT&T commericals about it I started counting how often I do it. Pretty suprising!

Thanks

Like i said before Verizon will get this phone 2011 not this year as everybody is expecting there will be a contract extension for AT&T for maybe two more years AT&T secretly wants this so that the sales of the Verizon iPhone will take some of the strain off there network

Another thing lets see which one will fold to each other demands APPLE or VERIZON i put my money on VERIZON because they need iPhone more than any Android powered phone they will get millions of new customers so they can experience there CRAPPY service
    Last edited by rickybobby; 01-08-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pufferking View Post
    Here's the real question will the New 4g iPhone be avaible only verizon or will they have one for AT&T.
    I hope they have one for AT&T also as verizon sucks I looked at the phone plans and they are over priced.
    There will always be a GSM iPhone since most of the world runs on GSM networks. To have a CDMA only version would leave 75% of the world without a new iPhone option and thus leave billions on the table for Apple. Not happening.

I'm really surprised though that its not dual technology (if this rumor is true). Blackberry's dual technology phones (storm 1&2 and the Tour) work very well.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tylervalo View Post
    Ya know, you wouldn't think surfing the web while being on the phone as a big deal, but after seeing the AT&T commericals about it I started counting how often I do it. Pretty suprising!
    you guys make a damn good point here... i was with verizon for over 10 years at least. att for about 3, but i have forgotten about all the F'd up policies they have and how they seem to jack up and take away a lot of the cool and useful options a phone straight from the manufacturer provides you with.

not being able to hit the net while on the phone is damn annoying to say the least. i'm always looking up things and multitasking while i'm on the phone. having that capability alone being taken away is enough for me not to switch...

although i despise att's customer service and billing... i think they hired a bunch of monkeys to run their billing software.