+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will iPhone Controlled Helicopter "Fly"?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Rota When this, a fully 3D 6 channel collective pitch helicopter that comes with a widely supported transmitter you can fly just about any RC plane or
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    When this, a fully 3D 6 channel collective pitch helicopter that comes with a widely supported transmitter you can fly just about any RC plane or heli of any shape or size with, as well as a lipo battery, and chargers for everything is $469, why even bother?
    It doesn't have a camera on it. And the remote doesn't have a screen.

And as for the crashing "issue". I read somewhere that if the signal gets interrupted. The thing just lands by itself on automatic pilot. So unless youre over a pool or something youre safe.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nrowensby View Post
    Too bad you won't be able to play with your Heli because your iPhone will be at home being a security camera...
    Quote Originally Posted by Home Skillet View Post
    Phone rings..$500 toy crashes to the ground..Crying ensues..
    LMFAO: yes indeed
    killall Terminal[]

Banned
    Thanks
    I seen this in CES and this not new. It's just the power of what the iphone can do.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starjar View Post
    I seen this in CES and this not new. It's just the power of what the iphone can do.
    Power of the iPhone? Sounds like SOMEBODY is brown-nosing.

The iPhone application does one of two things:
    A: Transmits simple telemetry, and receives a simple video signal.
    or B: Transmits and receives a more complex signal than is necessary.

That said, essentially any device with an accelerometer, touch screen, and Bluetooth/WiFi (not sure which one the toy uses) could be programmed to work with the toy. The hard part is getting the toy to interpret the commands properly, and keep all the stability. Especially, are there fail-safes for if, say, one motor begins to malfunction? Will it and its caddy-corner motor disengage, leaving the other two motors to pick up a bit and just allow for a safe landing, or pick up enough to even finish the mission/game, perhaps?

Thanks

I saw this at CES and watched it for a bit as well as got some video of it. It is coola nd all but 500 bucks is a joke.

there was another flyer there that comes with its own remote and looks like a star wars fighter and has asuper nice case and everything the control on it was unreal he was flying it over peoples heads and landing it ona small pad without any problem at all. and it was only 300 bucks

any ways it was cool tho

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow_King View Post
    I saw this at CES and watched it for a bit as well as got some video of it. It is coola nd all but 500 bucks is a joke.

there was another flyer there that comes with its own remote and looks like a star wars fighter and has asuper nice case and everything the control on it was unreal he was flying it over peoples heads and landing it ona small pad without any problem at all. and it was only 300 bucks

any ways it was cool tho
    And it would cost more than $200 to get a decent camera and mount that to it, add stabilizers (which still would probably not let it be as stable as the device in this thread), plus you'd have to carry some kind of giant device around with you for the video signal, 'cause it wouldn't be designed to be received by any small screen you could just go buy at Radio Shack. You're looking at total additional costs would probably be 300-500 dollars, plus having to lug around a large device to receive the video transmission, not to mention you'd have to mount the camera yourself, and HOPE that the device can support the weight efficiently, and there's still the stability issue that is likely to suck.

Thanks

lol i didnt say anything about the cam factor i wouldnt even add it to it. I was simply saying that another one with much better movment and control was cheaper

As for the cam factor it woudl eb cool but with a less then 15 min battery life how much use would this toy really be?

Any who thats just my opinion and its only worth what you want it to be :P

Best part of ces 2010 would be the Samsung area and the Ed hardy girls lol

Oh and Stan Lee i got hsi autograph it was cool but ya i didnt see much mind blowing stuff this year

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Well, but now you're comparing sedans to minivans. Yea, a sedan is cheaper and better mileage, but it's impractical for hauling 8 people and a bunch of sleeping bags/equipment/etc. You're comparing a less expensive copter with a longer play time to something with a far more specific purpose.

And there's only a couple things I've ever done on my iPod touch for more than 15 minutes at once, so 15 minutes of battery life on the copter would be fine for someone like me, most likely.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12