Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Use Your iPhone as a Security Camera

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Use Your iPhone as a Security Camera

By now we've all adjusted to inhabiting a world where security cameras are so ubiquitous we almost hardly ever notice they're around. From grocery stores to post offices, we're always on camera it seems, a reality that may be further perpetuated thanks to a new iPhone application that essentially transforms your device into a general, run-of-the-mill security camera.

From CNET:

The app lets iPhone owners set a phone to take a picture, either at a set interval of minutes, or every time the phone's microphone picks up sound. The two modes can also be set to run at the same time, so it'll take photos every few minutes, and when it picks up noise.
    The app, appropriately dubbed "Security Cam," has been on its way to us for quiet some time. Only obtaining access to the App Store this week, Security Cam was first pitched to Apple in late 2008 - more than a year ago. While some are quick to once again harp on the lengthy approval process illustrated by this latest example, perhaps such a privacy-threatening application should get a little extra time in the review process. After all, most agree that Security Cam is, indeed, a sensitive app that should be thoroughly looked into before being rolled out.

Along with these settings, the app can also be set to put your phone to sleep after a selected period of time, as well as watermark photos with a time stamp of when it was taken. These shots then end up in your photo roll.
    Is it creepy? Is it cool? Is it necessary? All of those questions, of course, are now irrelevant. Security Cam is not only available, it's also poised to become a relatively popular $0.99 app download. Despite concerns that this could "fall into the wrong hands" and violate the privacy of unwitting individuals, the fact of the matter is that there are already myriad security cam gadgets far superior and less conspicuous than an iPhone is. In this regard, the Security Cam app isn't creating a privacy-eating monster. That beast already exists.

Of course, the one problem with this app, and any others like it, is that you have to set up your phone somewhere.
    So if you're concerned that you're "being watched," just keep a lookout for a random iPhone propped up on a table or wall that may be pointed at you. Chances are, it won't be mounted there for long, assuming that the owner no longer wants to use his or her phone and only needs a security cam. At that point, however, there are far more efficient and cost effective security cam devices than a modified iPhone.

Image via CNET

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Cvjordan23 (01-09-2010)

I thought iphones were meant to be taken with you?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, i don't see a point to this app. Like jamriman said the iPhone is meant to be taken with you. I would never leave it propped somewhere. i'd rather by an $80 Linksys security camera for surveillance.

I second that ^ , it would be sweet if you could set your pc's camera to send the picture or video to your IPhone when it picks up some sound.that way you could set up wireless cameras in your home and check them from your iphone on the go. maybe later even live !! I shoulda made this . but this is a good idea for a upgrade.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to skillz1333 For This Useful Post:

Windmeel (01-10-2010)

Thanks

I only leave my iPhone behind in my room for the overnight, it can be usefull to see if anyone enters my room looking for something while I sleep I think...

Default ^^^
    yes well i hope you sleep with your lights on then..

Quote Originally Posted by Drewd View Post
    yes well i hope you sleep with your lights on then..
    Doesn't everyone?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nrowensby's Avatar
    Thanks

What if they are there to steal your iPhone?

Thanks

good idea.

Yea pointless, but cool if your looking for a cheap "ghost hunting" tool. Set it up at night, point it over the room, keep a light on and let it roll.

I can also see this getting abused by some dudes looking to film their exploits.

It can be easily done with the phone propped up somewhere as it is way less conspicuous than a camera or webcam would be.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Yeah, i don't see a point to this app. Like jamriman said the iPhone is meant to be taken with you. I would never leave it propped somewhere. i'd rather by an $80 Linksys security camera for surveillance.
    This would be nice if it was sound or motion activated for a webcam . Would set up to see who's been messinhg with my direct tv dish . Little bastards

Must be one of most expensive, featureless, low quality camera available.

Considering what a 100 wireless security camera can do this is a very poor imitation.

Think this goes into that 'pointless app' bucket

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Lame,...Next!

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

useless
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by skillz1333 View Post
    I second that ^ , it would be sweet if you could set your pc's camera to send the picture or video to your IPhone when it picks up some sound.that way you could set up wireless cameras in your home and check them from your iphone on the go. maybe later even live !! I shoulda made this . but this is a good idea for a upgrade.
    its called ira pro

Thanks

It's kind of lame because of what everyone else said, who leaves their phone unattended? But I'm going to try it anyway!

i could see this app being useful when the iphone gets a front facing camera!....like it was supposed to last year....and this year...

maybe next year?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

It's a very cool app but leaving my phone somewhere would not be a good idea

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nrowensby View Post
    What if they are there to steal your iPhone?
    Lmao, good point.

Seems pointless but I can also see some covert opportunities as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast