Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple and Verizon in Talks: CDMA iPhone in 2010?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple and Verizon in Talks: CDMA iPhone in 2010?

A deal is in the works for Verizon to carry a special CDMA version of the iPhone, according to an analyst. If the two companies can come to terms, the iPhone could be running on Verizon's 3G network by the middle of 2010, according to UBS Investment Research analyst Maynard J. Um.

Apple has seen, in country after country where the iPhone is available on multiple carriers, a marked uptick in sales. However, in the largest market there is only one carrier, because Apple had made a long term agreement with AT&T. The original deal was reported to be for a five year term, though it's been widely rumored that the term was changed when the AT&T agreed to heavily subsidize the expensive iPhone 3G. Most observers believe that the arrangement will expire this year.

Rumors and reports from cell phone chip manufacturers like Qualcomm have persistently suggested that a CDMA-capable version of the iPhone may come to market this year. Verizon's CEO also fed these rumors by saying his network "could handle" the iPhone. UBS indicates that Apple and Verizon are currently in negotiations. "We believe a CDMA-iPhone is also in the works," analyst Um wrote in a note to investors, as AppleInsider reports. "We believe Verizon Wireless and Apple may currently be apart on pricing."

Verizon has been harshly critical of AT&T's 3G network in its "There's a Map for That" ad campaign, and poked fun at the iPhone in its ads for the Motorola Droid smartphone, This has led some observers to doubt that Apple would bring the iPhone to Verizon, which is also beginning to market Palm smartphones and Google's HTC-manufactured Nexus One.

Many consumers have expressed disappointment with AT&T's network performance, and the company received the lowest rating of all major US carriers in a recent survey, while Verizon came in first. Also, the iPhone currently runs only on UMTS/GSM networks, and adding CDMA capability would allow the phone to be used on more systems worldwide. If the two companies can agree on pricing, a potentially enormous market could be opened up for the iPhone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Interesting.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Please O pretty please. Honestly the ONLY reason I dont have the iPwn is becuase its not on verizon and so I have an ipod touch, but I would drop it in an instant for a jailbroken 64GB iphone on verizon
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My cotract is up in 20 days I will waith what verizon have to offer if the price is better o yea im going to the verizon network

Rumors Rumors Rumors Rumors.
    I hope Apple stays with just ATT

I want to see this happen for one simple fact.

VZW and AT&T have the highest mobile pricing in the US. To compete for iPhone customers (if both start selling the iPhone) one is going to have to reduce their rates some. Hopefully AT&T will lower theirs to fit their network coverage on 3G.

T-Mobile and Sprint charge less to gain customers because their networks are inferior in coverage area to VZW and AT&T Edge. Should be interesting but I am still in the camp that doesn't see this happening in 2010. Time will tell.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

This is potential good news, but how will two models and two potentially different firmwares affect jailbreaking? No jailbreak, no deal.

i too also find this interesting
    killall Terminal[]

i do not find this interesting.
    two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the the universe.

Unfortunately,

I can confirm this. Had a customer come in today who was a big wig at Verizon and actually showed me his sim-less CDMA Verizon iPhone he has been testing for a few months he says. Wouldn't tell me anything else however. I am bummed, wantd to see it go to T-Mobile. Oh well
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

SnowLeo (01-05-2010)

Thanks

I thought Bell in canada has a simless iphone on cdma Canadians chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    I thought Bell in canada has a simless iphone on cdma Canadians chime in?
    Bell DOES have a simless iPhone, but that doesnt pertain to Verizon having the iPhone. Most likely any Verizon iPhone would be able to take a sim, like the storm does, or be a dual band.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

^ Where do you work? Maybe someday it will be on T-Moblie as well.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

im seriously tired of hearing about this...
    I wish they just throw the damn phone on verizon network so that everyone can shut up and stop whining about AT&Ts network....
    Like seriously you dont have to have the iPhone. Switch back!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    ^ Where do you work? Maybe someday it will be on T-Moblie as well.
    I own The iPhone Hospital in Tampa and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Unfortunately,

I can confirm this. Had a customer come in today who was a big wig at Verizon and actually showed me his sim-less CDMA Verizon iPhone he has been testing for a few months he says. Wouldn't tell me anything else however. I am bummed, wantd to see it go to T-Mobile. Oh well
    If bell has a cmda or simless iphone is there a way to get it to work with Verizon if i could get my hands on one?

Who will have the better plan prices? is the question. Verizon is high as F.uck

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by THEINFAMOUS View Post
    Who will have the better plan prices? is the question. Verizon is high as F.uck
    I dont know about that, I have a family plan and we get a pretty good bang for our buck

Quote Originally Posted by HKiller9123 View Post
    i do not find this interesting.
    Than dont comment, and move on.
    Last edited by Frostbite; 01-05-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    I own The iPhone Hospital in Tampa and Miami
    There's such thing as an iPhone Hospital?

Things are getting very interesting.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

^Thats what I sayin verizon has high prices and probably higher with our data hungry iphones...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast