Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: L5 Turns iPhone into Universal Remote

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default L5 Turns iPhone into Universal Remote

Using the iPhone as a universal remote is an idea that has always seemed to have a lot of appeal, as tech-friendly people tend to have a lot of electronic devices in the living room. We've seen products that purport to bring that functionality to the iPhone, but require a separate, rather pricey, infrared base. Now L5 Technology has announced at CES an elegant, small-form factor accessory at a reasonable price. Though it's no more than a press release at this time, it looks promising.

The accessory, called the L5 Remote, is projected to cost $49.95 and will be available in February. The product consists of an IR transmitter that connects to, and is powered by, the iPhone's dock connector. The company says that with the transmitter and the app, you'll be able to control pretty much any TV, cable/satellite box or Front Row compatible device: from up to an impressive 30 feet away.

The app sounds as if it's done right. You can create your own custom button configuration by dragging and dropping the control interfaces from your several devices and laying them out in whatever arrangement works best for you. L5 claims universal compatibility through a “short, guided training sequence” with each component you want to control: the website says you have to "press the corresponding button on your old remote while pointing it at your new L5 Remote." It's not clear from the press release or the website, but hopefully there will also be a code database available for the app, as "learn" sequences are usually pretty tiresome, and seldom seem to end up with really good results.

The app can store up to 100,000 buttons and control up to 1,000 remotes, and is compatible with any iPhone or iPod touch that can run iPhone OS 3.0 or better. More information is available at L5 Technology's web site.

image via L5 Technology

iPhone? More like MyPhone ithug's Avatar
    Thanks

49.95 is reasonable but affordable would be 24.99 ill like to own one soon though

iPhone? More like MyPhone gcastro723's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ithug View Post
    49.95 is reasonable but affordable would be 24.99 ill like to own one soon though
    yeah, what he said,
    If you can see this you are one of the many people who can see this.

wonder if it does activity or macro based functions? if not it is a no go for me. I need it to turn on the tv, amp and set the inputs with one button press. otherwise it sounds good to me.

cant wait to buy one used on amazon

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah ... what both of them said !!!!

This is great, I recall there being a similar hardware device being reported on that was plugged into the headphone jack that never materialized. I hope that we see a lot more iPhone accessories that take advantage of the 3.0 fw abilities. I have been very disappointed that we have seen so few hw manufacturers release good peripherals.
    Last edited by dieselboy27; 01-04-2010 at 03:38 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

How many universal remotes are people going to make for the iPhone? I'm pretty sure this is the 3rd for 4th time I've seen a post on this site about a universal remote for iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

gimmick....who is going to get their iphone out and load up the app just to change the channel...ridiculous.

on a side note, with the iphone having built in bluetooth is there a way they could add ps3 support?

I'm always losing the remote, but never my phone - (which is always nearby, and I can ring it if it has gone awol unlike a remote) so I think this is a really useful idea. Can't wait to try it out. I think the price is reasonable and will get cheaper if the gadget takes off.

Looks like a battery draining app with a hardware key. No thanks! I still want to be able to use it as a phone when I need to.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by isham.padron View Post
    Looks like a battery draining app with a hardware key. No thanks! I still want to be able to use it as a phone when I need to.
    Not seeing this draining the batt any more than people use there iPhone for texting. You change the channel and go in standby, not much batt used from what I can see.
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

very cool. I might pick one up

Thanks

That adapter is so ugly.

This is cool! I was scanning thru their FAQ's and came across this:

Can a user take control of a TV in a public place such as a bar or restaurant?
    Yes. Actually, you could always use a universal remote control to take control of someone else’s TV. The difference is that most people don’t carry a universal remote with them… unless it’s also their iPhone.

Just sit back and watch the chaos when the channel gets changed at a sports bar LOL
    Always remember that you are unique....just like everyone else.

any one know there will making high Mega Plxels web camera adapter for Iphone 1G,3G or Ipod touch, then we will making Video Chat and take high quality pics,that's sound good?before maked GPS adapter,now got romote adapter,,,why not no web cam adapter?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    My battery already goes down too fast. This is another device sucking power and like above, the macros are a big deal. It took a long time to get all my devices coordinated with Harmony(s) and I don't want to have to do it manually. Harmony's method can be frustrating even with their online wizard!

For those wondering about macros...why could one not use a macro signal from an existing universal remote to "train" the device? The macro is simply an ordered series of IR bursts, is it not? I guess we'll have to wait until the app can be tested and played around with.

I think this idea is great. I'd carry that L5 in my pocket and be able to control any TV in my house (as well as my whole house audio system) without ever looking for a damn remote.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Great...another way to drain the power on the battery!

Quote Originally Posted by smiska2 View Post
    Great...another way to drain the power on the battery!
    Oh my God, people, give it a rest. IR takes almost no energy. If you're so concerned about your precious battery, DON'T BUY ONE!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast