Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can AppMakr Really Make an App Developer Out Of Anyone?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Can AppMakr Really Make an App Developer Out Of Anyone?

Although the App Store is exploding with new offerings on what seems to be a staggering daily basis, building and launching applications for the iPhone remain cumbersome if not virtually impossible tasks for the novice dabblers in programming and software development. That could change, however, with AppMakr, which aims to simplify and streamline the application building process.

Companies like WordPress and Six Apart created popular tools to let anyone become a blogger. Now startup PointAbout wants to do the same for building iPhone applications with a new service called AppMakr.
    As the coverage from MediaPost acknowledges, having an iPhone app professionally designed and launched is far from an inexpensive venture. Costing tens of thousands of dollars on up for a half-way decent app, the expense can be just as great as the time factor involved - another impediment to a speedy construction for an application. Most apps, after all, require weeks, if not months of tedious work by developers likely weighed down by a full plate of projects to develop.

AppMakr promises to deliver a quality app in less than an hour for only $199. Users of the online service, formally launched today, enter a site Web site address or keywords and get back a sample iPhone app built with that content in less than 30 seconds, according to PointAbout.
    If you're wondering what services and software packages like that of AppMakr will ultimately do for (or to) the already extra-chunky size of the App Store, you're not alone. But by making it easier and more efficient to create applications (which isn't a bad thing) we're bound to see the number of available apps in the App Store swell at a quickened pace throughout 2010.

For $499, users can also publish completely under their own brand and gain more control over app development through more extensive testing. Under this option, publishers set up their own Apple developer accounts, but the building, provisioning and management of apps is still handled by AppMakr.
    Although many bloggers, small business owners, and other web entrepreneurs are likely going to rejoin at the ease and affordability with which applications can be developed through a service like AppMakr, many (like myself) are fearful of quality taking a backseat to expedience - a reality, if realized, that might make the app world more frustrating and cluttered than we care to contend with.

Image via MediaPost

Thanks

I wonder how many fart apps, restaurant-tip apps, fake compass apps, flashlight apps will come out of this.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    I wonder how many fart apps, restaurant-tip apps, fake compass apps, flashlight apps will come out of this.

But hey, 2012 is just around the corner, so it's not all bad.

--
    Wow I actually just read the post..
    Your better off learning how to Code..

As the old saying goes.
    Give a Man a fish - Feed him for a day.
    Teach a Man to fish - Feed him for the rest of his life.
    Fish - iPhones.. It all makes sense.
    Last edited by mofolo; 01-04-2010 at 08:02 AM.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

this blows me away! how lazy can you be?

props to appmakr though! 200 bucks...
    Last edited by rwin84; 01-04-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

lol ill pass

Like A Boss

You really get what you pay for.

$199 and $499 isn't cheap but considering it costs ten times that amount to put some halfway decent apps out you aren't going to see anything revolutionary with this. Looks a lot like those create your own web site in 10 minutes with our pre made templates business model.

Those without jobs will waste what money they have on this. Just like those get rich quick infomercial schemes that play on late night TV. The old saying is true, you really do get what you put into something.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I am sure it only creates very simple apps

By watching the video, he describes it as if it still needs to have an internet connection to work... It seems as just they're taking the web app you made, and making it "appear" to be a native app. For example, the splash screen is just taking place of the URL loading screen.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Is this really for any one? Or do you need to know some fundamentals? I would think some programming or some graphic design would be needed to make an app? Unless this is all cookie cutter stuff?

That would be cool if I could make an app and charge a buck for it! LOL

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Answer: to damn many !! lol

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    You really get what you pay for.

$199 and $499 isn't cheap but considering it costs ten times that amount to put some halfway decent apps out you aren't going to see anything revolutionary with this. Looks a lot like those create your own web site in 10 minutes with our pre made templates business model.

Those without jobs will waste what money they have on this. Just like those get rich quick infomercial schemes that play on late night TV. The old saying is true, you really do get what you put into something.
    Agreed! The problem with this app is the App Store. Halfway decent apps have a very small chance of making it big let alone seen to users if they make it to the App Store at all. Unfortunately thats how it works, you've really got to have an incredible App to make it in the App Store biz these days, half decent just doesn't cut it, and I really can't see this one making amazing one's. I think ppl would be wasting their money.

Soooo funny! I should have thought of that
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

i knew this day would come as soon as they made indoor plumbing possible. sshhheesh. what next?
    killall Terminal[]

Default What can it do, really?
    I've got a couple of ideas that I'd like to toy with to make a custom app- $200 would definitely be worth it.

I've got no programming experience, so maybe this would give me a shot.

Does anyone have other resources that might let me fool around for a lower price point?

(oh yeah, and I just moved to T-Mo today! Hooray!)

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

And to think i thought there was already enough worthless apps on the appstore

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If this is legit and actually works that's great however getting you app approved is another thing