Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Credit Card Readers To Make a Splash at CES 2010

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Credit Card Readers To Make a Splash at CES 2010

The 2010 International Consumer Electronics Show officially kicks off next Thursday January 7, in Las Vegas. And a host of unlikely gadgets could steal the show from some of the more traditional home entertainment attractions that usually leave the majority of people in awe. One genre of gadgets in particular is getting a lot of digital ink this weekend - iPhone credit card readers, the latest of which will be on display at CES next week.

When Jack Dorsey, (who co-founded Twitter) unveiled to the world his new venture dubbed the "Square," we all witnessed a sneak peak at a device that would enable mobile payments with a physical card reader designed for the iPhone and iPod Touch. At the time, such a breakthrough was certainly attention worthy. But now, Dorsey's endeavors have been joined (or emulated) by others, and not longer will the emergent business of mobile credit card readers be "owned" by one offering.

As hyped in myriad online and print publications this holiday weekend, Mophie is also now poised and ready to unveil their very own credit card reader at CES 2010 next week. From the Inquisitor:

The Mophie Credit Card scanner may just be the perfect solution for mobile business users looking to charge cards on the spot, without the need for very much additional hardware or for users to scan their cards on mobile sites.
    Much like the Square's initial introduction, we don't know all that much about the new offering from Mophie. The photo, however, suggests many of the details that, while not confirmed, seem obvious. Similarly, the Square connects through the audio jack and draws power from the swipe. The signature is likely obtained from a good old-fashioned finger-traced outline. No word if the Mophie device will mimic the Square in providing the customer with a confirmation email of the transaction.

It appears that the unit will feature a hardware scanner built for iPhones that protrudes from the bottom of the users phone, cards can then be scanned and used in whatever fashion Mophie comes up with (iPhone API restrictions considered).
    On the surface, it appears that the Mophie Credit Card Reader closely models the Square with the basic exception that Mophie's device looks a lot sleeker and better customized to fit an iPhone or iPod. The Square looks, dare I say, a bit more amateur in its design and appearance where Mophie's looks like a professional extension of the iPhone itself.

Want more info on the Mophie Credit Card Reader? If you can make it to Vegas for the start of CES 2010, all the info you could want and then some will be revealed about the credit card readers that may initially dominate the mobile payments industry... at least until something cooler likely comes along next month.

Image via The Inquisitor

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nice!

would prefer if it's chip and pin rather than the swipe
    Last edited by squaresoft; 01-01-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Without Chip'n'Pin it's fairly useless.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

looks a lil big like an extra inch and a half

Thanks

yea i wouldnt want to use this since iphones been getting hacked and 2010 is the year for more malicious behavior with iphone hackers not a good time for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

How is this anything new? Have any of you been to an Apple Store in the last few months? They replaced all of their pocketPC devices with iPod Touches in a case about an inch thick that not only allows for credit card swiping, but also includes an IR barcode reader (for scanning the items being sold), and all of it is handled through WiFi to a server in the backroom where transactions are processed allowing for instantaneous emailing of sales receipts. This is an Apple website; How can you guys not know that? This "square" thing isn't even patentable because there's far too much prior art that's already been in production and wide spread use for quite some time.

As long as whatever it is doesn't store my card details on it, then it may just be fine!

id use it for my business
    3gs iPhone 32gb-Jailbroken factory unlocked
    iPhone 4 jailbroken & factory unlocked

A load of rubbish.. surely technology has advanced beyound even needing a real card... let alone swiping one through your phone.. ridiculous!!! This has to be ajoke!!!

I have an electronic visa card, which runs on your pc, when you use it, it generated a 1 time only credit card number... surely something like this would be preferable than swiping your card through your phone.. what dumbass came up with that idea!!!! You'd be better of using paypal, or doing a money transfer from your online bank account!!!!

How primitive!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

its a good idea. the one for sprint/nextel did well with the blue collar/construction crowd
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

not impressed by this

Quote Originally Posted by Mira30 View Post
    not impressed by this
    Well I'm impress because credit card companies can benefit from this. Easy swipe easy money for them.

home buisnesses could benefit
    killall Terminal[]