+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Court Finds Apple Not Liable for Hearing Loss

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Court Finds Apple Not Liable for Hearing Loss

A Federal appeals court in the United States has found Apple is not liable for hearing damage as a result of people listening to music too loud on their iPods. AppleInsider notes a Reuters report on the decision by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which upheld a 2008 dismissal of a case brought against Apple that claimed that Apple knew that iPod earbuds were defective, and that there should have been a warning of the possibility of permanent hearing loss.

The plaintiffs said that iPods can play music at 104 decibels, which is a noise level equivalent to helicopters and power mowers. A noise warning does appear in the iPod user manuals, but the lawsuit said that there is should have been an indication of the iPodís volume capability on the device itself, according to the complaint. The lawsuit had to be dismissed, according to Senior Judge David Thompson, because it failed to show that the devices were unsafe for the devices' ordinary use of listening to music.

The plaintiffs do not allege the iPods failed to do anything they were designed to do nor do they allege that they, or any others, have suffered or are substantially certain to suffer inevitable hearing loss or other injury from iPod use. At most the plaintiffs plead a potential risk of hearing loss not to themselves, but to other unidentified iPod users.
    Earlier complaints had led Apple to add a "Maximum Volume Limit" setting in the iPod nano and fifth-generation iPod in version 1.1.1 of the firmware.

The plaintiffs, Bruce Waggoner and Joseph BIrdsong, were looking for monetary damages in addition to a safety label on the iPod itself, as well as redesigned earbuds that could not be inserted as far into the ear canal.

image via blurbomat.com

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

HAHA. That's funny if they were liable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They should just sell the phones and ipods with the in the canal buds and then they would not need to be turned up so loud to achieve the same result. Not to mention how much better they would sound.

Thanks

How retarded are these clowns??? You buy a music playing device then CHOOSE to play it at HIGH volume through earphones PLUGGED into your ears and then when you go deaf, you sue the company that made the device???

a bit like you buy a Lambogini, then drive it at it's max speed and when you have a crash and break every bone, you sue the company for making the car, and not telling you of the danger inherent in driving that fast plus you claim you're protecting other potential 'unidentified' buyers who may choose to drive that fast?

These guys should just go and get a life!!!!

For once the courts got it right in finding Apple not guilty

iPhone? More like MyPhone CabooseLoL's Avatar
    Thanks

If Apple could just make earphones that actually isolate the sound, you wont have to turn the volume up so high.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/ink-d-silver.html
    I have these, they sound great and I can hear them perfect at low volume while mowing the lawn... They do an awesome job at isolating (not cancelling) sound.
    Shut up troll.

Thanks

its not apple its people there the ones that crank up the volume..always picking on apple there tons of other mp3s/smart phones that can mess up your ears..people just dont use volume wisely..i dont crank my volume loud i dont like my ears ringing
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

Thanks

Thank God! IF they said they were liable, I would blame the dumb***es for that. Stupid greedy people.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

People will sue for anything these days
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

just like our vehicles are capable of going over any posted speed limit and we're responsible for the consequences of breaking the posted speed limit (if caught) we are also personally responsible for over indulging our own musics volume. not others.
    killall Terminal[]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    How retarded are these clowns??? You buy a music playing device then CHOOSE to play it at HIGH volume through earphones PLUGGED into your ears and then when you go deaf, you sue the company that made the device???
    I don't think it is retardation, but rather greed. Someone sued McDonald's because she poured hot coffee on herself and got a burn. The coffee was supposedly hotter than it should have been, but the point is SHE poured coffee on herself and won money for that.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually, I studied that case in school. Unlike in this case, the coffee lady had a right to sue. That Mcdonalds had been sighted twice for having the temp of the coffee almost 100 degrees hotter then the max temp allowed. When the woman went to take a sip of her coffee, she received third degree burns on her lips and tung, the shock of which causing her to drop her cup in her lap burning her further. Talk about a morning pic me up.

These tools are whats wrong with the legal system. That like sticking your hand under a running lawnmower and then suing honda for not being there to scream at you and make you stop. Absurd.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

These two guys are retarded! Duh duh the music's too loud for me, what do I do....?? I'll just keep listening to it extremely loud! Idiots!

Thanks

this is funny, again someone sue crazed. when will it end?
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thank god, common sense prevails!!!

I cut myslef on a knife the other day, can I sue someone cos it was too sharp???? There were no warnings on it!!!!!

The world is full of idiots who ruin it for everyone else!!!!