Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Buckles to Chinese App Demands

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Buckles to Chinese App Demands

Apple has buckled to pressures from China and formally blocked any and all iPhone applications involving the Dalai Lama from reaching the Chinese App Store. As indicated in coverage by PC World on the matter, Apple is simply the "latest U.S. technology company to censor its services in China." Although many Apple fans at home and abroad are uncomfortable with Cupertino buckling to the demands of China, it seems business is business and China will get its way.

At least five iPhone apps related to the Dalai Lama are unavailable in the China store. Some of those apps -- named Dalai Quotes, Dalai Lama Quotes and Dalai Lama Prayerwheel -- display inspirational quotes from the Tibetan spiritual leader. Another, Paging Dalai Lama, tells users where he is currently teaching. A fifth app, Nobel Laureates, contains information about Nobel Prize winners including the Dalai Lama.
    Apple, of course, is quick to point out that "not all apps are available in all countries." Still, it's obvious why apps related to the Dalai Lama are strictly prohibited in China. The Dalai Lama, after all, is an "exiled minority leader reviled by China's authorities." And while some may try to cushion the PR blow for Apple by postulating that many developers are to blame for certain apps not reaching China, the likely truth is that Apple is leading the charge to ensure that no apps, games, or other digital media unsavory to the Chinese government will reach Chinese consumers.

"Given that Apple has cooperated with China before (by not distributing games), it's of course very likely that it's Apple, not the developers, that are preventing certain apps from appearing," said one China-based app developer, who asked not to be named, in an e-mail. Games were not sold in the China App Store before recent months.
    James Sugrue, who designed the Dalai Quotes app, tells PC World that he didn't even know his app had been pulled from the Chinese App Store, an interesting piece of evidence that suggests Apple stands behind the compliance demands of Chinese officials.

Although millions find Apple's pandering unfortunate, Cupertino is in good company. Both Yahoo and Google have also yielded to the demands of Chinese officials who constantly endeavor to restrict access to "sensitive political issues" and other information that China simply doesn't want its citizens to have access to.

Chinese authorities previously took aim at Apple last year during the Beijing Olympics, when the U.S. iTunes Music Store was blocked in China after it started selling a new collection of songs about Tibet. The U.S. iTunes Music Store and App Store are both currently accessible from Beijing.
    The largest mobile phone community on the planet has finally received the iPhone. But it appears that the political persuasions of the last half-century aren't about to change just to accommodate a free and viable App Store. For the sake of doing business with China, Apple seems more than willing to comply with the restrictive Chinese policies that many around the world simply find appalling.

Image via PC World

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

China just sucks. I would nvr live there

China is a baby
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

its not like China is the only government who keeps stuff from there people they are just more straight out. And boohoo they Apple took off 5 apps. Well if you love the Dalai Lama so much why would u need an iphone app for it? Cuz i sure wouldn't. not only that but i cant get a lot of apps in canada but i still get them, there are ways around it. The US has the biggest scam going on. Terrorism! its to bad that there were no terrorists and the real terrorists are the people who run the country.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    its not like China is the only government who keeps stuff from there people they are just more straight out. And boohoo they Apple took off 5 apps. Well if you love the Dalai Lama so much why would u need an iphone app for it? Cuz i sure wouldn't. not only that but i cant get a lot of apps in canada but i still get them, there are ways around it. The US has the biggest scam going on. Terrorism! its to bad that there were no terrorists and the real terrorists are the people who run the country.
    Oh no you didn't
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It's just more proof that Apple isn't in it for the user experience, it's all about the $$$$$.

I've got $10 that when the iphone hits North Korea, Apple will be kissing Kim Jong-il's wrinkly old ***.

(For those of you with a broken sense of humor, the last bit was a facetious comment)

Quote Originally Posted by battlecrushr View Post
    China just sucks. I would nvr live there
    without china, you would prob be naked. also last time i checked, the economy in china is just a tad better than the US economy.

oh 1 more thing, you would prob have to pay twice as much for your apple products if it wasnt for china

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

I didn't say china is bad. Wait I did but I meant the gov.
    Without china they would be no rice. And what's a world without rice
    no but china is good in some ways but for Internet way and other web things they're bad

Quote Originally Posted by battlecrushr View Post
    I didn't say china is bad. Wait I did but I meant the gov.
    Without china they would be no rice. And what's a world without rice
    no but china is good in some ways but for Internet way and other web things they're bad
    i would agree to that

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    al quaida, hamas, hezbola, the ENTIRE Iranian govt......any of these names ringin any bells??!?!?!?
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

What did people expect? You might not agree with China but I'm pretty certain they don't agree with everything that goes on in our countries.
    When in Rome and all that...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    What did people expect? You might not agree with China but I'm pretty certain they don't agree with everything that goes on in our countries.
    When in Rome and all that...
    It's usually bad form to kill people in broad daylight that protest against your government like they do in China. 'When in Rome' doesn't mean a thing when they are killing people that just want to have the freedom that comes along with being human.

Have you seen much swearing, nudity, controversy on the app store? NO, all big firms bow to pretty much anybody in our emasculated, plain vanilla, political society. The fact that this is China is pretty much anecdotal.

Besides, I'm fairly certain that the pursuit of material things such as iPhones is frowned upon in Buddhism.

OH china.....youve done it again......
    killall Terminal[]

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    It's usually bad form to kill people in broad daylight that protest against your government like they do in China. 'When in Rome' doesn't mean a thing when they are killing people that just want to have the freedom that comes along with being human.
    I agree!
    Last edited by confucious; 12-31-2009 at 06:42 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I agree - then Apple should boycott China if that's what they want.
    But if they want to sell in China they have to sell by their rules.
    The censorship in the USA is far worse. European companies can't even sell products in their own countries with a bit of nudity as the Americans get offended by the human body.
    Americans are very hypocritical, if Apple want to make a stand they won't be allowed to sell the iPhone in China, simple. But money comes first.
    yup...you got us corrupt americans nailed. we don't want pics of tittes every where cuzz that would totally lead to the overthrow of our communist govt

I thoroughly agree with everything you say, I am an idiot.
    Last edited by confucious; 12-31-2009 at 06:42 AM.

maybe if you trusted in god a touch more you wouldnt need us to bail you out every time the germans come a knockin...

and i'm in no way under the illusion that the us is perfect...far from it in fact
    Last edited by creasy425; 12-31-2009 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I think you are perfect in every way.
    Last edited by confucious; 12-31-2009 at 06:41 AM.

riiiight. you guys were doing a real bang up job of halting the nazi march thru europe by ur selves. Maybe you should "appreciate" the japanese while ur at it. If it haden't been for them picking a fight with us, we were perfectly happy with the krauts beating the brakes off of you guys. Lemme guess, ur next post will include something along the lines of how we invited the suprise attack on pearl..us big, bad, evil americans...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast