Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: O2 Apologizes for London Network Failures, Blames iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    I blame the iPhone as I lose signal where as my friend with a Sony Ericsson still gets it on O2.
    A sony ericsson ISNT a smart phone!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Good news for AT&T, They are not alone.

First Up AT&T. iPhone requests. Second up O2 Requests. See the problem here? 70%. Third, is my problem, and its not a bad one.

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 12-29-2009 at 09:31 PM.
    Lime

White iPhone 3G[S] 32GB

Rig Specs:
    Coolermaster Spartan Case
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Core i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz
    Batch 3839A586
    6 gigs OCZ Platinum 7-7-7-20 1600 @1.65
    EVGA GTX 285 (702/1323/1584)
    LG DVD/RW
    Logitech G15 Keyboard & G9 Laser Mouse
    500GB Western Digital Caviar Black
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (lapped) Dual TR 1600 Fans
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Modular

^Source for graphs?

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Lime

White iPhone 3G[S] 32GB

Rig Specs:
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Core i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz
    Batch 3839A586
    LG DVD/RW

Lol, your source is Admob? Of course your going to see more requests from iPhone users!!
    Logic: iPhone users use Cydia, the App store, and Rock. All of the Apps from all 3 sources have admob ads and Cydia and the App Store are filled with admob ads in all descriptions. The graph you showed to the community shows the statistics of different devices accessing Admob's server. This graphs are to give an example to potential admob clients of their demographics.

Lime

White iPhone 3G[S] 32GB

Rig Specs:
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Core i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz
    Batch 3839A586
    LG DVD/RW

It's kinda pointless arguing about this. There is no carrier in the WORLD that can handle the iPhone. Upgrading network infrastructure, especially here in the US of A, is an uphill battle. With your legs broken. And the hill is Everest.

Compared to where the network was 3 years ago, AT&T has made vast improvements to try to even keep up with the iPhone demand. Notice how I said try. The iPhone kills networks and it's going to take them YEARS (yes, YEARS) to get their networks up anywhere near where they need to be. And this applies to every carrier in the US.

UK and elsewhere in the world have it just as bad, but some places have a geographical advantage. Personally I'm happy to live somewhere where AT&T gives me nothing but 5-bars and my iPhone experience is just about flawless.

EDIT: To put things in perspective, AT&T has already dumped over TWENTY BILLION DOLLARS in upgrading infrastructure this year alone.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 12-29-2009 at 11:48 PM.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

@happy noodle boy if they cant handle the phone then no one should sell it! for the best part of 18 months i thought service was ok but in last 5 or so months its been lousy. i want want i pay for and if i have to wait 10+ seconds to load mmi mobile web page in croydon (a well connected town) its not on.

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    EDIT: Speaking of networks, sat next to a co-worker today and we were watching YouTube videos on his Droid. They quality wasn't as good as on the 3GS, but while I had a big 'NO SERVICE' notification on my fancy $533 iPhone 3GS with wonderful AT&T, he had 4 bars of 3G on his $199 Motorola Droid with Verizon wireless. Apologists can only go so far, the TRUTH is that AT&T blows in this country, pure and simple. No ifs ands or buts. Sure wish I could just breach my contract and not pay for the service I'm not provided, like AT&T takes my money and will cut my service off if I fail to uphold my end of the agreement. I hate AT&T now that I've moved from a big city.
    So why don't you? You can get out of ETF's if you can provide moderate proof that you get poor or no coverage where you live. Although most would have checked before buying an iphone...

In a sense it is the devices fault, it's widely popular and data intensive compared to existing phones. ATT was fine for me before the iPhone, but every year, around iPhone launch I can watch my bars go away and start getting dropped calls. The networks clearly didn't understand this would happen with the iPhone, but it's really tiring to see people think that this wouldn't happen to other networks as well. If ATT loses exclusivity and another carrier, like Verizon, gains the iPhone, you can bet that ATT service will slow get better with lots of customers disappearing from their network, and Verizon's will get worse as they start to experience millions of data-intensive users. Question is whether or not Verizon will dump money at their network faster than ATT, as their 3G coverage isn't really up to date, despite it's wider coverage zone.
    Really?

Thanks

The carriers should have been investing allot more money in building their networks, this whole data network use boom isn't something that has sprung out of nowhere, it was inevitable. O2 need to reach deep into their pockets and really really sought out their network everywhere in the country. It really frustrates me how i can go from having full bars 3G service - then open safari and actually use some data and it drops to gprs, happens all the time

A little story for you - just before christmas i was shopping in London with mrs reeko and my brother and his girlfriend. We stopped for lunch at leicester square and i couldnt check my bank balance on my iphone. Nothing was loading. I guessed it was because it was soooo busy and everyone was probably trying to facebook / twitter or something. I tried to connect to wifi but everyone of them was locked down with a password and i really needed to check my balance as i wanted to buy a mac mini that day!

The way i did it in the end?

My brother on his iphone with t-mobile managed to open cydia, apply about a billion updates (he hasnt opened it for a while ), then download rock app, then open rock app + create an id etc, then download mywi from rock app, then open mywi and create a hotspot for me to connect to.

All this time i was completely shut out from the internet on my iPhone with O2

I connected to his hotspot and checked my balance in seconds and went home with a new mac mini

And i swear, even if i had full 3G working service with O2 the whole updating/downloading thing would have taken at least twice as long still :/

I got my brother
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

If he's with T-Mobile why did he need MyWi? T-Mobile's 3G network is rock solid and far faster than O2's and was before O2 got the iPhone and they have been quietly upgrading their network for years. When I was in Leicester Square on Tuesday I had full signal and no problem using Safari.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

No, he needed MyWi so I could connect to his WiFi hotspot created using MyWi on my O2 iPhone as O2 had absolutely no data network whatsoever at the time and no wifi was available.

Just crazy how he easily did all that whilst I had no signal, and it was allot quicker than if I had full bars 3G signal on O2 aswell!

TMobile are second best in this country to Orange I believe in their network, but Orange are overpriced with the worst customer service imaginable.

T-Mobile may be second best in there data network but it's certainly not to Orange! Vodafone probably have the best data network but T-Mobile certainly has the best vplans. Orange come third and O2 a poor fourth.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by LGgeek View Post
    Oh well none of that will happen, networks will get worse, we will get charged more, get less and the government will stand by and let it happen.

From the carriers standpoint it's much cheaper to payoff ( oh excuse me, donate to political campaign) then actually fix their networks.
    Umm are you serious? This is the worst idea I've ever heard of in my life.

You think the network is bad now?! HA! The government would make it much worse. What does the government do efficiently? That's right, nothing.

Thanks

I would love to be proved wrong by graphs/statistics but I travel nationally with work. My work phone is vodafone and my o2 iPhone gets worse signal than my o2 phone. My brother has t mobile and that gets great signal locally but I don't know about nationally. I have a colleague I regularly travel with and he has just got an Orange iPhone and the national data coverage is tremendous. I haven't seen any graphs this is just from experience.

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigdefense77 View Post
    Umm are you serious? This is the worst idea I've ever heard of in my life.

You think the network is bad now?! HA! The government would make it much worse. What does the government do efficiently? That's right, nothing.
    I wasn't advocating having the government run the networks just do their job and regulate the carriers.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12