+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Unreal Engine 3 Ported to the iPhone 3GS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
AnandTech has reported that Epic Games has ported their Unreal Engine 3 game engine, the same one that runs games like Gears of Wars 2, over to the iPhone 3GS
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Nick Hesson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    700
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

    Default Unreal Engine 3 Ported to the iPhone 3GS


    AnandTech has reported that Epic Games has ported their Unreal Engine 3 game engine, the same one that runs games like Gears of Wars 2, over to the iPhone 3GS and third generation iPod Touch. At first you might think, "I bet its laggy and crap", but as you'll see in the demonstration, its actually pretty damn impressive.

    The demo is both playable and has a flythrough. It’s using a modified Unreal Tournament level previously shown off at GDC. A virtual thumbstick on the left side of the screen controls your movement, while tracking your thumb in the lower right corner of the screen controls the camera. Just tap the screen to shoot. Mark said this is a tech test bed and they’re experimenting with several different control schemes including ones with tilt...

    ..It requires OpenGL ES 2.0, so the iPhone 2G and 3G won’t work, nor will the older iPod Touch models. It doesn’t really matter though, this is just a starting point...
    Give it another 3-5 years and we'll see smartphones that are outperforming the Xbox 360's current power, which means some kick *** mobile games in the future.

    Read more over at AandTech

    ">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 12-27-2009 at 02:14 PM.

  2. #2
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    This looks great. Can't wait to play some Halo on my iPhone eventually.

  3. #3
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 46 Times in 24 Posts

    "..Doesnt work on iPhone 3g...."

    F**K
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

  4. #4
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default awesome
    I cant wait for this to produce some awesome games

  5. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,131
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts

    no matter how well it runs on the 3GS/iTouch 3gen, without a proper controller to me it is absolutely waste of time.
    Need a company make a proper controller for this, without it I am not buying any game that runs on this.

  6. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    no matter how well it runs on the 3GS/iTouch 3gen, without a proper controller to me it is absolutely waste of time.
    Need a company make a proper controller for this, without it I am not buying any game that runs on this.
    or any game that runs on any other engine. Like u say, unless they have a good controller like XBOX or PS these games will never be good.

  7. #7
    Green Apple Treeml's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default three words...... NO FRICKEN BUTTONS!
    Lets not forget, that the iphone has no BUTTONS!!!

    I don't care what any paid reviewer will tell you, playing a fps on the iphone without any buttons, is annoying and frustrating at best, and unplayable at worst.

    It doesn't matter how many new and creative methods developers come up with, these games simply don't work without some sort of analogue stick, and REAL buttons. Apart from the fact that you are covering up your screen when you are clicking on bad guys to shoot.

    It's almost like we love the iphone so much we are blinded to this VERY BIG LIMITATION, the emperor has no clothes on on people, and he is carrying an iphone between is butt cheeks......

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    Give it another 3-5 years and we'll see smartphones that are outperforming the Xbox 360's current power,
    No, I don't think this will happen because it is not necessary. The resolutions are so small for a smart phone with a 4 inch screen that 1st gen xbox technology is enough to look good in a phone.

  9. #9
    ALIENS ARE REAL iLaw-One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts

    I hope the iphone remains without buttons...that's partly what sets it apart from the impostors...and I certainly don't think it'll take long before games on the iphone start outperforming the dedicated gaming consoles...

  10. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,131
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts

    It just need to add a bluetooth controller... something sleek and small, that goes into cover like that bluetooth ear piece case.
    God knows how much processing power this will suck up and kill the battery, will need an external battery pack just to keep the game running build all 3 into 1 would be great.

  11. #11
    What's Jailbreak? iPhoneApps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    I hope the iphone remains without buttons...that's partly what sets it apart from the impostors...and I certainly don't think it'll take long before games on the iphone start outperforming the dedicated gaming consoles...
    Without button and joysticks it will never happen. You obviously are not a gamer.

  12. #12
    iPhoneaholic Cory Gillmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Byhalia, MS
    Posts
    413
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Treeml View Post
    Lets not forget, that the iphone has no BUTTONS!!!

    I don't care what any paid reviewer will tell you, playing a fps on the iphone without any buttons, is annoying and frustrating at best, and unplayable at worst.

    It doesn't matter how many new and creative methods developers come up with, these games simply don't work without some sort of analogue stick, and REAL buttons. Apart from the fact that you are covering up your screen when you are clicking on bad guys to shoot.

    It's almost like we love the iphone so much we are blinded to this VERY BIG LIMITATION, the emperor has no clothes on on people, and he is carrying an iphone between is butt cheeks......
    I don't know what you're talking about. Have you ever even tried playing one of the recent FPSs for the iDevices? NOVA, Sandstorm? Guess not, because these games prove that an enjoyable fps experience can be had on the iDevices. And if you can't have an enjoyable fps experience, maybe you just suck at games in general? Ever think of that?

  13. #13
    Green Apple Treeml's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    @ Cory, lets not make it personal, You obviously have a very different definition of enjoyable, then the majority of the population, you might be mixing up the word "enjoyable" with "annoying", an easy adjective to mistake if english is not your first language, which I am assuming is the case for you.

    In saying that you are obviously not a gamer (well not a good one anyway). I can tell you I don't suck at games, not that it matters, but I would pwn your *** in any FPS game (with buttons) you can throw at me.

    Have you ever thought that perhaps you just have little girly fingers?

  14. #14
    Retired Moderator stlcaddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 128 Times in 90 Posts

    Let's stick to the topic!

  15. #15
    iPhoneaholic plcrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    373
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoTheForms View Post
    No, I don't think this will happen because it is not necessary. The resolutions are so small for a smart phone with a 4 inch screen that 1st gen xbox technology is enough to look good in a phone.
    it would matter if u think of it as a portable game console imagine hookin ur iphone up 2 a tv and having a bluetooth controller playing a game u downloaded on ur way home

    now that the future i c

  16. #16
    iPhoneaholic Cory Gillmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Byhalia, MS
    Posts
    413
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Treeml View Post
    @ Cory, lets not make it personal, You obviously have a very different definition of enjoyable, then the majority of the population, you might be mixing up the word "enjoyable" with "annoying", an easy adjective to mistake if english is not your first language, which I am assuming is the case for you.

    In saying that you are obviously not a gamer (well not a good one anyway). I can tell you I don't suck at games, not that it matters, but I would pwn your *** in any FPS game (with buttons) you can throw at me.

    Have you ever thought that perhaps you just have little girly fingers?

    Treeml, let's not act like children. I'm just saying that myself and many other people enjoy FPSs on the idevices. Sorry that I insulted your gaming ability. I certainly wouldn't want you to "pwn my ***". Oh and by the way, it's "THAN" the majority of the population. Not "THEN". Funny, how in the same run-on sentence, you imply that I can't speak English while at the same time showing everyone that you can barely speak it yourself. Cheers

  17. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life rhekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    no matter how well it runs on the 3GS/iTouch 3gen, without a proper controller to me it is absolutely waste of time.
    Need a company make a proper controller for this, without it I am not buying any game that runs on this.
    what you are looking for i believe is this controller i found on the internet. they are calling it the PSP i think...;]
    killall Terminal[]

  18. #18
    iPhoneaholic Cory Gillmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Byhalia, MS
    Posts
    413
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts

    ^^ Good one. Lol. Tbh, I would buy a controller add-on for the iPhone. I think some good could come of it. But I really don't believe it's absolutely necessary to be able to enjoy any particular genre of game. That said, I would still love to see one.

  19. #19
    Green Apple Treeml's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Nice work Cory, I am sure your community college professor would be proud. I wonder how many times you read the post before you picked up on that error.

    Even funnier that you decided to define it as a run on sentence. Demonstrating your limited ability to grasp the nuance's of the language as well. Good work! FIY a run-on sentence is a sentence that really has TWO sentences (or complete ideas) INCORRECTLY combined into one. (normally without the use of punctuation).

    There is an interesting study that was recently completed, showing iphone owners displaying a Stockholm syndrome type of attitude, I think your venomous flaming of my first post, attacking me as if someone had insulted your family member, shows you almost certainly fit into this study. Apart from the clear immaturity you also display by nit-picking a post for grammatical errors, in order to wrestle back some form of superiority, and therefore perceived power.

    It's a phone, it has serious limitations as a gaming device, why is this so hard for you to accept?

  20. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mista Brothason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts

    "Never argue with a fool because from far away people can't tell who's who"

    The iPhone has the potential to do some revolutionary things but not everything always will live up to everyone's expectations, clearly.

    10 years ago emulating a 3rd or 4th gen console on a hand held device was VERY impressive. These days it's 5th gen console that's in the works for our iDevices. Give it 3 years - 2 if you're lucky and you'll have your ultimate PDA that does what a MBP could do and possibly even more. Even then, when you have it, you'll still want what's in your living room in the palm of your hand all over again... I know I will
    Last edited by Mista Brothason; 12-28-2009 at 03:18 AM.
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts