+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPhone to Pack 5MP Camera?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Shreds of evidence are beginning to help complete the puzzle of what the next iPhone may offer when its introduced, most likely, next summer at Apple's annual Worldwide Developer's Conference
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default New iPhone to Pack 5MP Camera?

Shreds of evidence are beginning to help complete the puzzle of what the next iPhone may offer when its introduced, most likely, next summer at Apple's annual Worldwide Developer's Conference. According to Eric Zeman of InformationWeek, the iPhone may soon boast a 5 mexapixel camera to help beef up the device's photographic potential in the wake of heated competition from other smartphones that now pack a powerful lens.

The current supplier of camera chips for Apple's iPhone, OmniVision Technologies, says it got a whopper of an order from Apple for 2010. Not only will it supply Apple with 40 to 45 million imaging sensors, they will rate 5 megapixels.
    Although few are surprised by the sensible decision by Apple to step up the iPhone's camera a notch, many (myself included) are somewhat stunned by the bulk in which Cupertino is buying the necessary parts to make it happen.

OmniVision, for example, only supplied Apple with approximately twenty million 3.2 megapixel cameras for the previous update. Reports of 40 to 45 million 5 megapixel cameras are certainly raising eyebrows, particularly with regard to how optimistic Apple may be about a camera upgrade inspiring so many new sales.

Of course, if Apple expands its relationship to new carriers, like Verizon, then perhaps a bump up in sales would materialize - not that I'm trying to fuel any speculation, of course. Then again, Apple may have other plans and new devices lined up for use with the 5 megapixel cameras. If reports of such large supplies are, indeed, valid, it's a safe bet that Apple has bigger plans (or at least expectations) than we realize.

Apple clearly thinks that whatever it cooks up for 2010 is going to be a huge seller. Starting with a 5 megapixel camera certainly won't hurt Apple's chances, but more mega pixels don't necessarily make for better images.
    Although there will naturally be some excitement surrounding a 5 mixapixel camera, Apple would ultimately provide a much more appreciated service to current and prospective iPhone owners by investing in some optics that can surpass what OmniVision has been able to provide thus far.

Image via phonedifferent

Thanks

I'll take 3 iPhone 4G's

For here, or to go?
    (do you want any contracts with that order?)

No thank you, I'll take it to go.

This makes me SOOO AMPED!!!
    ME WANT!

This thing might have flash! (at least I hope)
    If it won't, then OFF to the modding table!

Also, anyone know what the expected price of this baby might be in smallest GB format(16/32)?

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

They need to add a flash to the camera! The Palm Pre has the same 3.2 mega pixel camera that the iPhone has... but it takes way better pics.

tim

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Double the Camera lens ordered = 2 on the iPhone
    The reason they have doubled their order is to have one camera on the front of the phone and one on the back...this is for video conferencing, i cant believe one failed to see that...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthkeller View Post
    The reason they have doubled their order is to have one camera on the front of the phone and one on the back...this is for video conferencing, i cant believe one failed to see that...
    that would rock!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to aekhamsouk For This Useful Post:

crzyital7404 (12-23-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

You could be correct, but until we have proof of anything these are all rumors. I am not going to get all hyped about a product we really know nothing about yet.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope the next iPhone has a 5 megapixel camera, currently I own a 3g, I've been thinking of upgrading my brothers line to a 3gs and handing my 3g to him but, all this vital information might just make me wait another 6 months.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope it has ******* flash

Thanks

No way.
    Pointless using a 5Mp camera for video calling.
    Mind you, video calling is pretty pointless anyway....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple to slow to do it.......

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

Then again, Apple may have other plans and new devices lined up for use with the 5 megapixel cameras. If reports of such large supplies are, indeed, valid, it's a safe bet that Apple has bigger plans (or at least expectations) than we realize.

I would say this is the more likely scenario. Perhaps they will be adding this type of camera to the rumored tablet, maybe even next gen touches, nanos, etc. I doubt that all 45 million are geared towards being installed in the new iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    No way.
    Pointless using a 5Mp camera for video calling.
    Mind you, video calling is pretty pointless anyway....
    Video calling being pointless is pretty much 100% opinion. I know plenty of people that use skype video conferencing and I am sure they would do the same on their phones if they had the chance. Perhaps you find it pointless, but that simply means it is not for you.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-23-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Video calling being pointless is pretty much 100% opinion. I know plenty of people that use skype video conferencing and I am sure they would do the same on their phones if they had the chance. Perhaps you find it pointless, but that simply means it is not for you.
    My opinion of video calling is purely my opinion but it doesn't change the fact that a 5Mp camera would not be used for it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    My opinion of video calling is purely my opinion but it doesn't change the fact that a 5Mp camera would not be used for it.
    Completely agree. I probably should not have quoted your entire post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

3mp to 5mp really isn't a big jump in image size and has nothing to do with photo quality. I went from an 8mp DSLR to a 15mp and only got a small bump in image size.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

*SIGH*

Whats next
    7 mega pixel camera for next year?

Seriously, if they are gonna work on a new iPhone, MAKE IT WITH NEW HARDWARE!
    The iPhone 3GS was a disappointment considering all it had was a compass,voice control, video recorder and a boost in MP
    The new version should have FLASH and Zoom
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i think that these cameras are going to be used amongst the new iphones and the new tablets =]

Thanks

Rumors?

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

They got to keep up with the DROID. This is exciting but I can't upgrade my phone till 2011.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Ehhh....

Mabey.... just mabey....

Apple make more than just a mobile phone!

Perhaps 20 of the 40 million are for a iPhone "4G", and mabey... just mabey: the other 20 million are for other devices eg. a tablet? Better iSights? etc etc

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

^ Maybe***