Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iCinematographers Rejoice at The OWLE Video Mount

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default iCinematographers Rejoice at The OWLE Video Mount

Before you drop out of film school and scrap the side job you have to help pay for a professional video camera, don't expect the new OWLE (Optical Widgets for Life Enhancement) iPhone video mount to automatically transform you into the next Steven Spielberg. But becoming an iCinematographer is now possible thanks to the handy iPhone mount that modifies your iPhone into what would appear to be a functional professional video camera.

Although the addition of video recording functionality was, indeed, a great moment in iPhone history, soon the masses began lining up to complain about both the quality of the video and the dismal audio that accompanied it. The new OWLE iPhone video mount arrives as a mechanism to help quell some of those criticisms.

From Think Geek:

Now the OWLE iPhone Video/Rig solves that problem using anodized billet aluminum, a mini boom-mic and a wide angle lens. Simply nestle your iPhone inside the metal and silicone case of the OWLE and get ready to shoot the best iPhone video you've ever seen. Still shots turn out great as well. The shoe mount on the top and screw mounts on the corners of the OWLE let you do things with the iPhone Apple never planned on.
    Although OWLE did a bang up job with this nifty iPhone modification accessory, the somewhat hefty $129.99 price tag is
    bound to leave some willing to simply wait until next year to see if the 4th generation iPhone comes with improved video and audio recording capabilities.

For now, the device is pretty cool and can prove functional in a variety of ways. The four screw mounts, for example, located on the corners allow the device to easily mount to a tripod. Although no professional or semi-professional videographer would use the iPhone as a primary video capturing mechanism, this gadget certainly improves the user experience for amateur still photographers and videographers looking for a little more stability to the video shot on their 3GS.

Image via Think Geek

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    o.0 u would have to be crazy to buy summit like that just buy a separate camera if u wanna be the new Spielberg
    Last edited by BiGZeus; 12-22-2009 at 08:26 AM.

You need a hell of a lot more than some goofball camera mount like this to be able to compose a picture (which the majority of American's can't even do). Don't even get me started on all the backlighting issues they have. This should come bundled with the idiot's guide to photography/movie making.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

ARE YOU FOR REAL, IS BUT SO MUCH YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR iPHONE. STOP ADDING USELESS HARDWARE TO THE PHONE.

Thanks

Holy ****. That thing look freaky

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    Holy ****. That thing look freaky
    Reminds me of an old View Master.

...you've got to be kidding me.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Guys, I see a Landscape springboard in the future just cause of this "thing".

As you can see from the screen shots, the iPhone is held on "landscape mode" and neither the icons nor the status bar actually looks good, AND YOU KNOW HOW APPLE LIKES TO LOOK GOOD!

I see in this a landscape springboard, AND I WANT IT!

just my 0,02c

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahah ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaha hahahahahhahahahahahaha

your left hand is going to be nestled right next to the mic. any time you make a slight movement it will pic up that noise. not usefull for the iphone. allthough cheaper than a lower end proffesional HD camcorder [easily $2,000-$3,000] why wouldnt you just invest that $130 towards a fully functional retail grade digital camcorder? [$300-$1000]
    killall Terminal[]

I think this is cool for those who want to waste money. Otherwise if you need it that bad then you probably need to get a real video recorder and not a cell phone. My opinion, Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    your left hand is going to be nestled right next to the mic. any time you make a slight movement it will pic up that noise. not usefull for the iphone. allthough cheaper than a lower end proffesional HD camcorder [easily $2,000-$3,000] why wouldnt you just invest that $130 towards a fully functional retail grade digital camcorder? [$300-$1000]
    Or just buy one for less than 5 bucks more!!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DIGITAL-HDVC5200-Megapixel-Digital-Camera/dp/B001WMEIU8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1261512672&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: COBRA DIGITAL HDVC5200 12 Megapixel 7-in-1 HD Digital Video Camera: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Instead of buying a lesson in futility, there's much better that can be had at the same price:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_36_5?bbn=172421&keywords=digital+video+camera&qid=1261512639&rh=n%3A502394%2Ck%3Adigital+video+camera%2Cn%3A172 421%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011&rnid=386442011&low-price=129&high-price=129.99&x=4&y=9]Amazon.com: digital video camera, New, $129-$129.99 Camcorders[/ame]

Default Well built - works great! Not that anyone else here, tried it.
    Owle works better than it looks.

Actually made from a single piece of machined aluminum and adds enough weight to steady out any hand shaking.

Add a mono pod to use as a boom and it is easy to do lots of things you'd never dare try with a camcorder! Hi angle, low angle and vehicle shots work fantastic.

This little mic makes a huge improvement on the sound recorded, too!

And the Wide Angle lens changes the iPhone from an also ran to a useable video platform.

Instant editing, processing (compression) and email or posting is a treat.

Forget the theory, these are the facts from actual use!

No, I have nothing to do with the company or it's sales ... it's just one of the best add on's I've found so far for the iPhone. Cheers!

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

actually it wouldn't be any hand covering the mic, if you look closely the mic is re-directed to the back of the iphone.
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    You need a hell of a lot more than some goofball camera mount like this to be able to compose a picture (which the majority of American's can't even do). Don't even get me started on all the backlighting issues they have. This should come bundled with the idiot's guide to photography/movie making.
    How did this go from an accessory review to a rant on all Americans are photographically inept? Love the generalizations though, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Or just buy one for less than 5 bucks more!!

Amazon.com: COBRA DIGITAL HDVC5200 12 Megapixel 7-in-1 HD Digital Video Camera: Camera & Photo

Instead of buying a lesson in futility, there's much better that can be had at the same price:

Amazon.com: digital video camera, New, $129-$129.99 Camcorders
    sorry. guess i should have scoured the endless perameters of the internet before i gave my highly ignorant comment.

Quote Originally Posted by badass1469 View Post
    actually it wouldn't be any hand covering the mic, if you look closely the mic is re-directed to the back of the iphone.
    read my quote again. i said "nestled right next to the mic". if you knew anything about microphones, which you obviously dont. they tend to pic up sound very easily from things quite close to them. now in post production, if you also knew anything about that, you can compress those unwanted minor sounds out. however that can also then compress sounds you want to leave in. or in pre production you can have your mic running through a compressor and have it shelved to disallow any minor sounds from disrupting what you want the mic to actually be picking up. all of which this doesnt have the ability to do. but im sure you allready knew that.
    Last edited by rhekt; 12-22-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    killall Terminal[]

Silly people... ~$130 for that battery-less, light-less contraption... or ~$140 for a Flip Mino HD. True, you can't send your videos instantly over the 'net, but you can get an hour of 1280x720 HD video, and shoot in lower light than your iPhone can.

Sometimes the gadgets make sense... sometimes they don't...

everyone is trying to get on the iPhone gravy train. what can you expect...

Thanks

well it does seem pretty useless and costly but another interesting idea for someone who will make more than enough off it, i do like how the mic appears to have a male jack for the headphone jack, that should really do sound wonders. has anyone ever tried this? im sure the look is awkward but probably works quite well

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    sorry. guess i should have scoured the endless perameters of the internet before i gave my highly ignorant comment.

read my quote again. i said "nestled right next to the mic". if you knew anything about microphones, which you obviously dont. they tend to pic up sound very easily from things quite close to them. now in post production, if you also knew anything about that, you can compress those unwanted minor sounds out. however that can also then compress sounds you want to leave in. or in pre production you can have your mic running through a compressor and have it shelved to disallow any minor sounds from disrupting what you want the mic to actually be picking up. all of which this doesnt have the ability to do. but im sure you allready knew that.
    i have your solution nestled right next to the mic....dont move your hand
    Last edited by ecd5000; 12-22-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast