+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Vodafone UK iPhone Rates, Release Date Revealed

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Vodafone UK iPhone Rates, Release Date Revealed

Vodafone UK today finally announced their release date and "tariffs" (rate plans) for the iPhone on their network. Disappointing those who had hoped the carrier would introduce the Apple phone by Christmas, Vodafone announced a launch date of January 14, 2010. Vodafone will be the fourth carrier for the iPhone in the UK, joining Orange, Tesco Mobile and O2, whose exclusivity to sell the phone ended earlier this year.

“We started preparing our network over a year ago so that iPhone customers will really feel the advantage of being with Vodafone,” said Guy Laurence, CEO of Vodafone UK. He emphasized that Vodafone engineers had been focusing on improving network speed and reliability to attract and retain customers in the increasingly competitive UK market.

The cheapest plan will cost 30 per month with a two-year contract, and includes 300 minutes and unlimited SMS, plus 1GB of data. A 16GB iPhone 3GS with this plan will be 149, while an iPhone 3G would cost 59 extra. The 45 per month plan includes a free iPhone 3GS. Tethering is available at three tiered rates: 5 a month for 500MB, 10 for 1.5GB and 15 for 3GB. Costs increase if users choose the 18 month plans, which is in line with how Orange and O2 do business.

Customers who had registered their interest in iPhone with Vodafone and those who had pre-ordered iPhones will get free Vodafone to Vodafone phone calls for the term of their initial contract.

image via Engadget
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 12-21-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: what is a "cartrier?" :-(

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. 4th carriers

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm still staying with O2-UK, they are much better.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwr_allen View Post
    Unless you want an new ip address for your iphone

O2's ip allocation system has failed again

Wez
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I called O2 today saying I was leaving for Vodafone as my contract is up in Jan. They offered me a Refurb 3GS 32gb for FREE! on a lower cost, (35pm) 18 month contract... Bonus! Seems they might be a little worried.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't fall into the trap of getting another 18 months! there could well be another iPhone out by mid 2010. O2 will then keep you holding on until you've passed 1yr of your contract or let you shell out big style for the 4th iPhone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wez View Post
    I called O2 today saying I was leaving for Vodafone as my contract is up in Jan. They offered me a Refurb 3GS 32gb for FREE! on a lower cost, (35pm) 18 month contract... Bonus! Seems they might be a little worried.
    I know that sounds great at first but you would be stuck with that phone for another 12 months after the next iPhone will be released in summer 2010.

My contract is up in Jan 2010 also but I will just wait until summer when the new one is released.

Ooops, didn't see that last post :s
    Last edited by mwr_allen; 12-21-2009 at 11:28 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you're contract is up soon with O2, you can ring them and get the iPhone Simplicity 1-month rolling contract. It's the same as the standard 35/mth contract, but with 1200 texts and only 20 a month.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post
    A 16GB iPhone 3GS with this plan will be 149, while an iPhone 3G would cost 59 extra.
    An interesting concept, charging mopre for the 3G

Vodafone's Data network is faster and more robust than O2's - If I wasn't with T-Mob I would definitely chose Voda for data.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Wez
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I know that sounds great at first but you would be stuck with that phone for another 12 months after the next iPhone will be released in summer 2010.

My contract is up in Jan 2010 also but I will just wait until summer when the new one is released.

Ooops, didn't see that last post :s
    Ah its ok, im hoping by the time its out Ill be able to sell my 32GB 3GS and itll knock a big chunk off the price of a PAYG 4G... And just replace it with that. Failing that, I have another O2 account for the Mrs and her 3GS should be up for renewal end of 2010 I think? Tho I cant see myself waiting that long to be honest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    An interesting concept, charging mopre for the 3G

Vodafone's Data network is faster and more robust than O2's - If I wasn't with T-Mob I would definitely chose Voda for data.
    I'm not hugely fussed about data speeds but more about network and in my area the Vodafane connection isn't great at all, my wife moved from Vodafone a few months ago to get an iPhone 3G and her network connection with Vodafone was terrible and now with O2 it's a massive improvement.

For me though I have had an almost perfect time with O2 from day one before it was even O2 (BT-GENIE) so I would prefer to stick with what I know is good for me in my area.

My suggestion would be to check with the carrier that you are with and then the one you want to move to if they have a map section of their website that shows network coverage in particular areas which helped me out when getting the iPhone 3G with O2.

Thanks

Very true, I'm lucky, I get good reception omn most networks where I live so to me data connection (and price) are what is important. So T wins hands down
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

tierd data rate programs. sounds like what they [at&t] are surmising here in the states. *uggh* i dislike change. _*fear*_
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey Confuscious :-)

My experience of o2's network has not been a satisfying one at all and I'm up and down many parts of England on a regular basis. I can't speak for the other networks, but I can vouch for T- Mobile having a more robust network and that it's data speeds are, to the most part, reliable and up to my minimum broadbandspeed requirements, of at least 1 MB/s.

Being on Pay-as-you-go, jailbroken and therefeore unlocked, I decided to explore my options.
    Very satisfied with T-Mob and I get a 3GB data cap and unlimited SMS to all peeps on the same network for 10.00 per month.
    3G vs 3G'S' is like comparing a standard BMW to an 'M-Tech' version of the same car. They pretty much look identical, but it's whole 'nother beast beneath the shell.
    The 'S' is for 'Sheer' Power.

Thanks

I thought the free PAYG option had a 1Gb limit? And it used to be limited to 3G (384kbs) as opposed to HSDPA - can you confirm you are getting over 1Mbs and that your limit is definitely 3Gb not 1Gb?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Errr sorry about the delay in replying...just stumbled across this again.

Yes def 3GB data cap and in excess of 1MB/s even up to 2160 kb/s in London.

But I've switched to Tesco_Mobile now as I need cross network minutes and SMS more than data on the go. My data needs when out and about are now restricted to standard Email and Tesco's measly 50 MB limit per week is actually sufficient for this.

so...20 gets me between 275 - 550 minutes cross network (the latter being to registered 5 fav numbers) and 2 a week gets me data access for my push email. wifi for everything else.
    3G vs 3G'S' is like comparing a standard BMW to an 'M-Tech' version of the same car. They pretty much look identical, but it's whole 'nother beast beneath the shell.
    The 'S' is for 'Sheer' Power.

Thanks

I pay 20.15 for Flext35 and W'n'W Plus but for the number of voice minutes I use the 10/month PAYG option may be better, just ordered a couple of SIMs and will give one to my daughter and might see how it goes myself.