Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPhone App a Holiday Traveler's "Outside" Assistant

Thanks

Can anybody turn the app into a animated lockscreen like weather elements

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    A one off charge, maybe. But a monthly fee on top? It could work out to be very expensive!
    Personally I already have a paid for weather app and wouldn't pay for this.
    The monthly fee is for the push notifications... and you can turn them off so you don't have to pay at all besides the price for the app.

As for the notifications I am not to hip on them myself... but really like the app. If these devs add onto this app it will be really nice!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

I've not heard of any other app charging a fee for push notifications - I hope this is not a sign of things to come!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

^ According to this other person that bought it he states that you will have to pay for notifications if you want to get them all of the time. .99 cents per each notification for three months... so if you want all four notifications then you will be paying $4.00 every three months because there are four notifications within the app..... UV, TShirt Weather, Rain Cold.

I would rather see snow storm, tornado, thunder storm, I think you get the drift.....

I am trying out the notifications right now and they work great but would I pay for them? No probably not. Once my 30 day trial is up I will turn them off but still use the app.

And yes.... all of this paying for each thing anymore has gotten crazy.... like the touch pets app... you have to pay for dog food to keep playing the game... and now this... and if they update their app you pay again.... I wish Apple would set some rules for this kind of stuff.... what happen to the free updates?
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 12-22-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: changed wording added touch pets

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    ^ According to this other person that bought it he states that you will have to pay for notifications if you want to get them all of the time. .99 cents per each notification for three months... so if you want all four notifications then you will be paying $4.00 every three months because there are four notifications within the app..... UV, TShirt Weather, Rain Cold.

This is wrong. If you and he did read the description, it clear says "Extending your notification subscription is a single fee that covers all the notification types as well as future notification types. Also note that Outside works perfectly without notifications should you just want to use the forecast."

So the fee covers ALL notification types. Not only 1. Also the notifications are custom notifications you can write whatever you want and receive whenever you want that matches the criteria. Severe weather notifications are coming. Also if don't need notifications then no problem. You can still use the app for weather forecasts. You just won't receive any notifications.

Why notifications cost money? Quite simple: A server is needed to constantly monitor thousands of cities for the users. Sending those notifications also requires a server. If Apple did allow background processing this would have been free.

And yes. I am the developer. Visit Robocat to find out more.

Thanks for the review!
    Last edited by williwu; 12-22-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williwu View Post
    This is wrong. If you and he did read the description, it clear says "Extending your notification subscription is a single fee that covers all the notification types as well as future notification types. Also note that Outside works perfectly without notifications should you just want to use the forecast."

So the fee covers ALL notification types. Not only 1. Also the notifications are custom notifications you can write whatever you want and receive whenever you want that matches the criteria. Severe weather notifications are coming. Also if don't need notifications then no problem. You can still use the app for weather forecasts. You just won't receive any notifications.

Why notifications cost money? Quite simple: A server is needed to constantly monitor thousands of cities for the users. Sending those notifications also requires a server. If Apple did allow background processing this would have been free.

And yes. I am the developer. Visit Robocat to find out more.

Thanks for the review!
    I want to thank you for stopping by and getting this straight as it is highly appreciated! Notifications or not I loved the interface, animations and great job you did with it and I bought it!

So you pay one fee for the notifications and future ones as well... as I look back at the page in itunes is the fee .99 for three months then on all notifications and future ones to?

And your welcome!

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Weather
    REally! The weather program that comes with the iphone and the weather channel, which are both FREE by the way, are good enough for me.
    I don't need no stinkin', cutesy wootsy $2.99 app store app!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12