+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Outpaces Windows Mobile in US

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
image via Ars Technica There are now more iPhones than Windows Mobile-based devices, according t o the latest survey by research firm comScore . And while the numbers of either
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone Outpaces Windows Mobile in US

image via Ars Technica

There are now more iPhones than Windows Mobile-based devices, according to the latest survey by research firm comScore. And while the numbers of either platform are dwarfed by the userbase of RIM's Blackberry smartphone, data use by Phones and Android phones - characterized by requests to mobile ad provider AdMob's system - is far and away greater than the Blackberry's.

The report by comScore covers three-month averages through the month of October. While sales of Windows Mobile phones have been steady over the past year, iPhone sales have surged since the launch of the iPhone 3GS this past summer. The number of active Windows Mobile, Palm, and Symbian users is holding steady, while users of Blackberry, iPhone, and Android-based devices grew. The boost in the Apple phone's sales was enough to lift the iPhone into the number two position in the US, while Windows Mobile fell to number three.

The comScore data also confirms trends that mobile ad firm AdMob (the smartphone ad company Google is buying for $750 million) has long been reporting: both the iPhone and Android devices are responsible for the bulk of mobile data use.
    Users of the Apple iPhone were most likely to consume mobile media, with 94 percent of users doing so in September 2009, while 92 percent of Android device users, predominantly T-Mobile G1 users, engaged in mobile media activities, 12 percentage points higher than an average smartphone user.
    According to the latest report from AdMob, the iPhone OS still originates the majority of smartphone data requests in the US and worldwide. Data use on phones running the Android operating system, however, is growing explosively. Ad requests from Android-based phones jumped from 20% of all requests in October to 27% in November.

image via comScore

The comScore survey said that 17 percent of its respondents who intended to buy a smartphone soon would choose an Android-based device. Another 20 percent were planning an iPhone purchase, though 51 percent of smartphone shoppers said they planned to buy a BlackBerry model in the coming months.

Thanks

wow, thats quite the gap between the blackberry and the iphone. i guess they were further into the market as a smartphone before apple though *shrug*
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I honestly think the reason BlackBerry is still the most used phone is because of it's availability on multiple networks. I work at a place were I deal with the public every day, and 7 out of 10 people I talk to say they want and iPhone, but simply refuse to switch to AT&T, so they get a BlackBerry as the next best thing.

Personally, I don't blame them.

Thanks

Not to mention BB is widely used in corporate America with incentives and discounts on the devices and services. The same market that makes Windows so dominate in PC OS forum.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

Why don't Apple focus some attention on business users to close up the gap on the Blackberry, I mean thats why they are doing so much better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwr_allen View Post
    Why don't Apple focus some attention on business users to close up the gap on the Blackberry, I mean thats why they are doing so much better.
    Apple doesn't make anything aimed at business users, why would they start now?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

There are also 72 different model BBs compared to 3 different models of iPhones. Huge difference in choice and price options making the BB available to every different kind of user.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    Not to mention BB is widely used in corporate America with incentives and discounts on the devices and services. The same market that makes Windows so dominate in PC OS forum.
    not to mention that it had PUSH years before iPhone decided it was worth introducing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    not to mention that it had PUSH years before iPhone decided it was worth introducing.
    lol, the iPhone is 2 and a half years young. They are still a baby in this market and growing. What do you expect?
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    lol, the iPhone is 2 and a half years young. They are still a baby in this market and growing. What do you expect?
    If you're going to integrate a bunch of features that are found in a bunch of phones into one device, maybe make sure to include the more useful ones?

Thanks

I think, if Apple's willing to let Verizon in on the action. Apple will outpaces RIM too.