+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Re is a "Re"peat of Other iPhone Universal Remotes

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
One of the gadgets poised for display at CES in a few weeks is the Rē Remote Control accessory designed for the iPhone. The umpteenth iPhone accessory for the same
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Re is a "Re"peat of Other iPhone Universal Remotes

One of the gadgets poised for display at CES in a few weeks is the Rē Remote Control accessory designed for the iPhone. The umpteenth iPhone accessory for the same purpose, the Re offers - you guessed it - the convenience of controlling "everything" in your midst (DVD players, TVs, stereos, etc.) with the iPhone.

Sporting what I like to call "iPhone head gear," the accessory latches on via the docking port on an iPhone, and, as a result, bestows upon your handset a smorgasbord of features imbued by maker New Kinetix. Such Features include:

• Communicates with AV equipment via infrared
    • An extensive library of IR codes
    • customizable buttons
    • RF learning from other remotes
    As long as the device doesn't break as often as the New Kinetix website does, you should be okay with this universal remote system, about which little else is known, like release date and cost. But New Kinetix is promising the ultimate universal remote experience with an application that will be regularly updated to further build out and improve upon the framework already in place.

Although every new universal remote app and accessory for the iPhone is hyped as the invention that will permanently relegate the universal remote to the ash heap of history, most developments, this one included, simply offer a repeat of other technologies and applications tossed down the pike in previous months. The Re still doesn't solve the problem of wear and tear on the iPhone that comes from using it as a remote or the frustrating user experience of placing or receiving calls all while trying to control your DVDs, stereos, toaster ovens, or whatever.

Despite the objection by some (including myself) it seems there is still a sizable enough chunk of iPhone users who want their handset modified into a functional universal remote. And as long as there's demand, there will be new offerings that really aren't as "new" as we may think they are.

Image via New Kinetix

Thanks

hmmmm looks interesting

Green Apple
    Thanks
    looks good as long a I don't have to pay more than $20 bucks for the dongle.

Thanks

dongle...what a nasty word

im still waiting for the MORE all in one universal remote
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks
    I'm with you on the price... if its cheap then its a maybe... but they'll probably make more money by charging for the attachment and app separately.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am very interested in using my old iPhone as a universal remote. It does not have service so it is essentially an iPod Touch. If i turn it into a remote then who really cares about wear and tear...does a remote get more wear and tear than a cell phone/ipod/web browser/calendar/blah blah blah! The Red Eye remote seems to be a little better than this one in capability but we will have to see price! What are the other ones for me to investigate?

By the by. I agree that the interruption a phone call during remote operations would exacerbate me! Will this work on an iTouch? Does it have macro capability defined by the user? Will it make my significant other less angry with my 15 component entertainment system?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Wish we could do it without an ugly azz dongleberry
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

I prefer just an app not hardware attachment

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't like that think sticking out the butt of the iPhone. I used to have a Sony Clie with build in IR device. The next gerneration iPhone should have one build in.

Thanks

yea ill stick with my own remote, works just fine and didnt cost a thing
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Just what I need! A $600 remote control ?!?

You probably can't use your phone when the remote dongle is connected.