+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mozilla Heats Up The Mobile App Market And Claims It Will Put An End To App Stores

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It comes to no surprise when we hear about a Firefox Mobile app in development for various smartphones. Mozilla managed to convert an outstanding number of IE users over to
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default Mozilla Heats Up The Mobile App Market And Claims It Will Put An End To App Stores

It comes to no surprise when we hear about a Firefox Mobile app in development for various smartphones. Mozilla managed to convert an outstanding number of IE users over to their platform and get close to an average increase of 10 million users a day lately.

Firefox Mobile (currently codenamed Fennec) will share much of the desktop's engine and render both complex HTML and JavaScript. Mozilla VP Jay Sullivan made the bold claim that Firefox Mobile will "put an end to app stores like the iPhone's App Store or BlackBerry App World." These guys are either extremely over confident, or have no idea how well the App Store is doing right now. But nonetheless, as we learn the logic of web apps, it would make more sense for companies to create a singe web app that works just as well for Firefox Mobile, so it works across various phone platforms guaranteed.

Many of the existing stores have draconian or inconsistent guidelines, or aren't worth the cost of producing a separate version to reach a smaller user base, Sullivan argues...

"We look at the problems it creates for small innovators," he said. "You have to create an iPhone app, an Android app, a Windows Mobile app..."

"As developers get more frustrated with quality assurance, the amount of handsets they have to buy, whether their security updates will get past the iPhone approval process... I think they'll move to the web," he explains.
    Mozilla will be releasing the first version of Firefox Mobile on the Nokia's N900 handset, and is being developed for virtually every smartphone platform that encourages a more unrestricted app environment, including Android, Nokia's Maemo, Symbian and Windows Mobile but will of course be entirely unavailable on the iPhone, as we are all well aware of Apple's submission rules that refuse to accept most code interpreters and 3rd web browsers.

In the interim period, apps will be very successful. Over time, the web will win because it always does
    All of this being said, I don't see how it would have any immediate affect on the AppStore market, as these platforms don't just grow overnight. And they've got a lot to compete with for apple. However this does extend a new market to platforms that are more universal. Hopefully Apple get's with it and starts to allow a more open platform like we've slowly seen lately.

However such features as syncing browsers with your phone and PC is genius, and starts to take us down a road that just might overpower such markets as the Apple AppStore.

"We will sync browser tabs in real time," Sullivan adds. "If you have five, 10, 20 tabs open on your PC and something happens and you have to leave, you can pick up where you left off on your phone."

Firefox Mobile will also support browser add-ons. "Some are existing add-ons for the PC, some are brand new," Sullivan claims.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 12-19-2009 at 11:47 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

But the real question is... will it run Flash?

That's about the only thing I feel the iPhone is really missing these days.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i wish i could get firefox on my iphone. time for mozilla to hop on the jailbreak wagon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone treble26's Avatar
    Thanks

i really hope that firefox dominates the app store and makes it admit defeat. i hope flash will be supported on firefox mobile. im on mozillas side on this!

Thanks

if this would somehow get to the iphone it'd be amazing! i highly doubt it will be greater than the app store tho...
    If I helped you in any way slap that thanks button

Subscribe to me on YouTube
    Follow me on Twitter

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwalkd9 View Post
    i wish i could get firefox on my iphone. time for mozilla to hop on the jailbreak wagon.
    +1 I'm all about jailbroken firefox....

Thanks

Cool if this happens, Bye bye iPhone for me.

I only like it because you can have an actual browser and not some cheap #$% "web browser"

Thanks
    do it mozilla we believe in you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotjpeg View Post
    do it mozilla we believe in you!
    Who is "we"? Mozilla need to sort out their browser on Windows, OS X and Linux first...
    Last edited by dale1v; 12-20-2009 at 01:29 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

YES...jailbroken Firefox !!!

Thanks

Bring it on Baby.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

Firefox is completely overrated. Safari is my favorite browser there is. I'd even take Opera over firefox. That said, I wouldn't mind trying the iPhone version just to see the difference as mobile Safari hasn't really been updated.

Thanks

Maybe on the Mac FF is overrated but on PCs it is the browser of choice. Safari really doesn't cut it on PCs.
    it will be interesting to see how FF compares on the iPhone but I really don't see it having much effect on the App store,
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand how this will put an end to the app store. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Maybe on the Mac FF is overrated but on PCs it is the browser of choice. Safari really doesn't cut it on PCs.
    it will be interesting to see how FF compares on the iPhone but I really don't see it having much effect on the App store,
    I use firefox on the Mac too. Safari is overrated by Mac users IMO...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-20-2009 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I really hate apple. Anti-competitive a-holes. it might not be so bad if their browser didn't suck fat balls. mobile safari (all versions of safari actually) is horrible.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. Either the article is missing a good deal of text or this makes no sense? Webapps on mobile phones suck. That's clear as night and day. Same on all platforms (iPhone, android, winmo, symbian, you name - it sucks). Even on state of the art desktops there is much you can't do through a browser. How on Earth will this change anything? Not to mention the fact that it'll never get approved for the appstore since it'll have to use private APIs handed to Mozilla by GOD himself for this come anywhere near overtaking the appstore... with webapps... on a mobile browser.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

The app would do well on Cydia. And yes, Flash is the only thing the iPhone is missing now. A native Hulu app would make me cream my pants!

So, is this thing gonna work like the google web app we already have? Or will it be an app store?

I seriously doubt that it will amount to anything if you can't actually download stuff. Its all kinda hazy as far as details.

tim

Thanks

Still need to be jailbroken therefore the app store will remain.

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Im on firefox right now! I wish it was on iPhone too!
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!