+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mozilla Heats Up The Mobile App Market And Claims It Will Put An End To App Stores

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by jwalkd9 i wish i could get firefox on my iphone. time for mozilla to hop on the jailbreak wagon. I think that's precisely what they meant about
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwalkd9 View Post
    i wish i could get firefox on my iphone. time for mozilla to hop on the jailbreak wagon.
    I think that's precisely what they meant about the app store. Either that or a new kind of API/library/interpreter for interactivity and access to smartphone functions (GPS, microphone, camera, etc). Basically, write your app once and have it run on ALL smartphones, and more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

I don't see the advantage of having Firefox on my Touch. It's my primary browser, and I love it, but are a couple new features enough to get all worried about not having it?

Actually, there's one thing I can think of that would make it worth it: if it had cache managment. I hate, HATE the fact that the iPhone doesn't seem to cache many websites I'm looking at, forcing you to reload the page in its entirety, which wastes cpu cycles and drains the battery.

I don't even put music on my iTouch anymore, it's my handy palm computer for internet and programs, I should at least be able to tell it to cache a certain amount of drive-space for visited websites.

I don't even know if that could be fixed with just a browser, or what. But I want it.

Thanks

Firefox is going to be better than Safari, but it will not overpower the App Store.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

jailbreak version would be sweet but aint gonna happen
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Mozilla is way over confident and talking out of their arse
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Idc of there trying to compete with the Appstore what I care more about is seeing Firefox come to the iPhone already! Stupid *** Apple policy & rules man:/
    they should just develop one & release under Cydia's support. Don't know why major companies stuck in a rut by Apple hasn't gone around the backdoor & done that!

- MexiChriS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianlg View Post
    Firefox is completely overrated. Safari is my favorite browser there is. I'd even take Opera over firefox. That said, I wouldn't mind trying the iPhone version just to see the difference as mobile Safari hasn't really been updated.
    lol, Firefox is overrated?

plug-ins. try some.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    lol, Firefox is overrated?

plug-ins. try some.
    The plug ins are nice.. but I just prefer the simplicity of safari. Not a big deal, everyone has preferences.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
    But the real question is... will it run Flash?

That's about the only thing I feel the iPhone is really missing these days.
    i agree

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    All the "Anti-Apple" people on this forum make me laugh. Good job being completely hypocritical, you rant about how you hate Apple yet you still purchase their products, stfu, please.

On topic, I see this Mozilla web app attempt failing completely and not even putting a dent on the App Store's sales, specially with the way things have gone for Apple so far. They already have a large enough customer base for the iPhone that something like this won't have any effect on their sales.

Thanks

ive never personally used firefox, but itll be interesting to see how this will all play out on the mobile market.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

I think they are missing the point of mobile. I do not want 10-20 tabs opening up on my mobile phone, not to mention add ons that cripple or make it unstable to use. The hardware isn't there yet for this to work seamlessly. I have seen the N900 and while the hardware is impressive the performance left a lot to be desired in my view. I use Firefox on my Windows machine with four add on extensions and it is still unstable (crashing at least once a week now).

Mobile is still about getting things to work quickly and efficiently. In my mind native apps are far superior to web apps in what they can accomplish with minimal effort. Now PC and laptops are a different story.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    I think they are missing the point of mobile. I do not want 10-20 tabs opening up on my mobile phone, not to mention add ons that cripple or make it unstable to use. The hardware isn't there yet for this to work seamlessly. I have seen the N900 and while the hardware is impressive the performance left a lot to be desired in my view. I use Firefox on my Windows machine with four add on extensions and it is still unstable (crashing at least once a week now).

Mobile is still about getting things to work quickly and efficiently. In my mind native apps are far superior to web apps in what they can accomplish with minimal effort. Now PC and laptops are a different story.
    I'm using FF on Windows 7 64Bit with 16 tabs open. Get a better rig IMO if it crashes that often.

And Mozilla won't directly affect the Apple AppStore since it won't be available on the iPhone and iTouch.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I want chrome on iPhone

I can dream can't I?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    I'm using FF on Windows 7 64Bit with 16 tabs open. Get a better rig IMO if it crashes that often.

And Mozilla won't directly affect the Apple AppStore since it won't be available on the iPhone and iTouch.
    Hardware has nothing to do with it.

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor, 8 GB system memory

With just FF running and little more than two to three tabs open at one time, it is all FF.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

With just FF running and little more than two to three tabs open at one time, it is all FF.
    Then why are you not using a different browser? Only four extensions? Are they firefox only or are you ******** for the sake of ********? Even IE doesn't just randomly crash. Must be your fault.

Thanks

Then it's your addons crashing the browser. I only use NoScript.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Firefox is sweet, just switched to it 2 days ago, Safari is overated. The Nokia N900 is also going to be sweet, Apple really need to update the iPhone or bring out 3.2 at least. Where the hell is 3.2?!?!?!?!? Don't want to give up the 3GS but the N900 is too tempting

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

While there are some real advantages to web apps, they will never measure up to a native app. That's why people started jailbreaking their phones when the iphone first came out. All the cool native apps.

Thanks

Its about time Mozilla makes that move, Ive been waiting for it since I have my 3g a year ago. Im with Mozilla in this one too.