+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone: Attack of The Clones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A new report on CNNmoney.com highlights what sounds like an epic battle straight out of Star Wars. But when you think about it, writer David Goldman has a point in
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iPhone: Attack of The Clones

A new report on CNNmoney.com highlights what sounds like an epic battle straight out of Star Wars. But when you think about it, writer David Goldman has a point in his postulation that Apple shouldn't think it has already vanquished its 2010 competition. Next year, after all, could introduce an impressive array of mobile gadgets potentially more futuristic than anything from Star Wars itself.

Okay, get the image of Steve Jobs with a lightsaber out of your head and consider the following:

Just when it seemed like none of the iPhone copycats that have been hitting the market stood a chance against Apple's iconic smartphone, some new evidence is emerging that shows iPhone clones are getting a second wind.
    In just over a year, a veritable smorgasbord of iPhone clones have been rolled out. From HTC's G1 and the BlackBerry Storm, to the Palm Pre and all the way to the rumored forthcoming Google smartphone, the iPhone has withstood some hefty knock-off competition. The article from Goldman, however, speculates that round two may not leave the iPhone quite as unscathed.

Earlier this week, data tracker comScore revealed research indicating that "interest in the iPhone" is plateauing, all the while iPhone clones are gaining ground in the smartphone market.

According to the report, 17% of consumers who are shopping for a smartphone intend to buy a phone that runs Google's Android operating system, compared with 20% who plan to buy an iPhone. That gap is much narrower than the last study, which showed only 7% were going to buy an Android-powered phone, with 21% planning to buy an iPhone.
    Ultimately, no one is close to knocking Apple off its present perch. But iPhone copycats are getting better at their craft. What does this mean for Apple? While the rest of the market is busy emulating the iPhone, its time to put the creative wheels in motion on what's next. But some fear that Apple considers the iPhone too invincible to make any drastic or futuristic changes within the next few years. And by then, it could be too late.

Analysts say the iPhone copycats are getting better, and many are even adding their own unique features like multitasking, physical keyboards and open-source operating systems.
    In the big picture, the iPhone is surrounded by an encroaching army of clones. And sooner rather than later, Steve Jobs will have to "use the force" to once again vanquish an army perhaps more powerful than Cupertino realizes.

Image via ABC News

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (12-20-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

Putting the Blackberry Storm in the category of "iPhone clone/killer" is a little lofty IMO.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to andygev35 For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (12-22-2009)

Thanks

how can you even call them "clones", if you are talking about those knock offs that were sold in china awhile back then yea those are clones the look and functions are remotley close. HTC, blackberry are not
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecd5000 For This Useful Post:

Hondamaker (12-19-2009), reanimationxp (12-19-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

i think that the iphone will always end up on top.
    Last edited by badass1469; 12-19-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: cuz i was bored
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Not that it really matters that they're getting better the second time around, Apple will put out the 4th gen iPhone and it'll be the same thing over again. I'd actually prefer more ppl buying and using other phones like the HTC and Droid..that way we wouldn't have to hear ppl complain about Apple even though they own an Apple iPhone!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    I wouldn't mind getting an android phone, that might be my next phone. I hear a lot of things about it at work and I do get a lot of customers calling in asking when we're getting an android phone. Granted ATT is getting that motorola one coming out soon I like to pretend that one doesn't exist.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

I own a Droid . . . it's a letdown

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (12-20-2009)

Thanks

Android shows a lot of promise as an OS - but it needs some well designed hardware to run on. It is the combination of OS and hardware that make sthe iPhone unbeatable at the moment.
    The alternatives have a long way to go IMHO.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (12-20-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ecd5000 View Post
    how can you even call them "clones", if you are talking about those knock offs that were sold in china awhile back then yea those are clones the look and functions are remotley close. HTC, blackberry are not
    Umm... have you even ever seen an Android OS? Have you ever used the iPhone? The bootleg similarities are so obvious. Pages you can swipe? Page button at the bottom? Threadlike messaging interface? Touch and drag icons? Enabling video with the slide button on the camera app? Their acclaimed "app store" (laughable)? There's more but i'm too hungry to go on. So c'mon now don't try and act like they aren't the features weren't derived from the iPhone.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm getting a Nokia N900! I'm sooo bored of the iPhones UI, needs a refresh!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Apple has to knock us all out with the iPhone 4th Gen
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

TutenStain (12-20-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Apple has to knock us all out with the iPhone 4th Gen
    Agreed! If they don't do anything completely redefined with their OS then i fear they will lose the battle.

But, as it is i can't seem to use other phones. Trust me i've tried but it's just not the same

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hollow0 For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (12-22-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I wouldn't use the word 'clone' as a clone is pretty much an exact duplicate. Copy-cat is much better. Wannabe is more accurate. And good luck to all the wannabes!

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Overcash View Post
    I own a Droid . . . it's a letdown
    I too....its my company phone. Its not bad, doesnt live up to the hype Verizon gave it.....and I couldnt trade my iphone for it. Luckily I have both

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am sure Apple has many good things coming our way for the 4G!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

To be honest, The blackberry storm sucks. I own a blackberry curve now which i am very glad about, since i have a data plan for it. The Android operating system if you ask me, is a complete let down. The most used excuse i hear everyday is "oh yeah the droid, it looks so good, it's the best phone ever". If you remember years ago when the Razor came out, think about what everyone was saying than, Now everybody hates that phone.
    iPhone 4 16GB Jailbroken/Unlocked for T-Mobile USA with all the bells and whistles.

If I helped solve your problem, Press "Thanks!" for me ^^

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    Putting the Blackberry Storm in the category of "iPhone clone/killer" is a little lofty IMO.
    I could not agree more. I had one for about two days, it is abysmal... sad actually cause RIM actually makes great phones... they should stick to physical keyboards, and do what they know best.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i love the phone but i love the service that apple puts on to back up their phones its amazing and thats why i love livin the iPhone life

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

My friend has a blackberry storm. They used to have an iPhone until it broke and they switched because AT&T's service was crap anyways. The storm is really complicated and not even close to as good as an iPhone in any way except that it
    makes calls. My friend's dad had an iphone, and now it's deactivated. I told my friend about unlocking though DDDD
    If i helped, don't be afraid to hit the thanks button. It won't bite!!!!

How may I hack you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Umm... have you even ever seen an Android OS? Have you ever used the iPhone? The bootleg similarities are so obvious. Pages you can swipe? Page button at the bottom? Threadlike messaging interface? Touch and drag icons? Enabling video with the slide button on the camera app? Their acclaimed "app store" (laughable)? There's more but i'm too hungry to go on. So c'mon now don't try and act like they aren't the features weren't derived from the iPhone.
    no never seen the droid and no never seen the iphone i stopped taking my meds so posting here fills the void.. of course ive seen them i wasnt saying that the touch screen functions and OS are so much the difference., what phone isnt these days! i was stating that the looks of the phone and the buttons or lack of buttons not to mention the keypads and of course touch screen and size are nothing in comparison to call them clones. the last time i checked clone was a replica that almost did the same thing, not another totally different looking phone with the same functions as every other phone these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.