Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Says They "Could Handle" iPhone in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by lll2for3lll View Post
    I was told that T-Mobile has a faster 3G network than both AT&T and Verizon. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would like to know if this is true.
    It doesn't matter if TMO has faster 3G than ATT and Verizon since the 3G/3GS can't take advantage of it. It's all Edge speed connection with TMO.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Am I the only one who thinks its a bonehead move to spend nearly 30 billion dollars buying a smaller network when that money could have gone toward building out their current 3G and upcoming 4G networks. Clearly the customers will come when the service and phone selection is good. Buying a competing network for their customers is nonsense. At most they keep them for two years before their contracts are up. Look at what happened with Sprint buying Nextel for their customers. As soon as the contract is up they jump ship and yet 10s of billions of dollars that could have, and should have, gone toward infrastructure is lost. I know you'll say but they've spent 19 billion dollars so far. That's over three years. It could have been 19 billion EACH YEAR.

ok I dont get it. for all of you ATT fanboys who say verizon hasn't had a surge of data, please tell me what other smart phones they have? Blackberry, winmo, android. iPhone isn't the only phone that consumes DATA.

While ATT does sell a **** load of iphones, Verizon continues to probably lead the Blackberry turf with all their promos, and they have been selling new droid phones like hotcakes.

Oh yea, I don't even have Verizon. I left ATT and my iPhone to go with Sprint and the HTC Hero. Less dropped calls and more consistant 3G network. I will say that the iPhone was the best phone i've ever used, it sucks to be on ATT. I live in a metro area in southern california and the ATT 3g service is a joke. 3G is no good if you can't even stay in 3G while driving around metro areas.

a bunch of you sound like whiny b*tches honestly. if you're happy with AT&T why do you even care if Verizon gets the iPhone or not? it's not gonna affect you in the least bit.

really the only people that should care are the ones that want to dump AT&T (like me) and would like a different carrier, and existing verizon customers that want an iPhone but don't wanna leave their carrier. since when did cellphone providers start acquiring fanboys? this sh*t is ridiculous.

the bottom line is that verizon has 89 million customers, and that's a lot of potential new iPhone owners. apple is in the business to sell their product.

Quote Originally Posted by imfillinit View Post
    ok I dont get it. for all of you ATT fanboys who say verizon hasn't had a surge of data, please tell me what other smart phones they have? Blackberry, winmo, android. iPhone isn't the only phone that consumes DATA.
    Why are you people constantly accusing others of being "fanboys"? You sound like a retard when you say that.

Anyways Verizon may have had a surge in data, but nothing comparable to what ATT has been experiencing since the first iPhone was released. Just look at the web browsing statistics which don't even take into account other handsets with different OS's that are still being used on ATTs network. Plus people download full MP3s, movies, and TV Shows onto their iPhones via iTunes and the app store. Not to mention torrents and other stuff people do with Jailbroken phones. What other devices do that on other carriers?

AppleInsider | Apple's iPhone OS takes 40 percent of Web market share - study

I live in a metro area in southern california and the ATT 3g service is a joke. 3G is no good if you can't even stay in 3G while driving around metro areas.
    I live there too and I've never had the problems you're talking about. All I know is that compared the other carriers I've used, ATT is far better. I don't have anything against Verizon, I just think it's funny that people assume they'd be able to immediately handle a ton of iPhones without any issue.

Plus it's going to be hilarious when everyone is ******** about their $350 early termination fees that Verizon recently implemented. After 23 months of the contract, that's still $125 pro-rated to cancel.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lll2for3lll View Post
    I was told that T-Mobile has a faster 3G network than both AT&T and Verizon. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would like to know if this is true.
    Technically, at this point in time, T-Mobile and AT&T both offer the fastest varieties of 3G (7.2mbps HSPA) while Verizon and Sprint's EV-DO rev. A top out at about half of that. HOWEVER in real world usage none of the standards hit their potential. So, in regards to 3G, yes you could make the point that both T-Mobile and AT&T are faster than both Sprint and Verizon. In real world use AT&T's 3G build-out, in most markets, is superior in both speed and reliability to T-Mobile's. So no, T-Mobile is NOT the fastest provider. Additionally, T-Mobile is opting against a 4G LTE build-out in favor of a 21mbps HSPA variety, which should show up around the time AT&T and Verizon have near complete LTE networks. T-Mobile just can't afford to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by battlecrushr View Post
    AT&T and verizons is just faster. Just ask and ull see.
    At least I'm pretty sure
    Definitely maybe? Just faster? Re-read the above response.

While ATT does sell a **** load of iphones, Verizon continues to probably lead the Blackberry turf with all their promos, and they have been selling new droid phones like hotcakes.

Oh yea, I don't even have Verizon. I left ATT and my iPhone to go with Sprint and the HTC Hero. Less dropped calls and more consistant 3G network. I will say that the iPhone was the best phone i've ever used, it sucks to be on ATT. I live in a metro area in southern california and the ATT 3g service is a joke. 3G is no good if you can't even stay in 3G while driving around metro areas.
    I have to call Bullsh*t on this one. I live in the San Fernando Valley (the largest of Los Angeles' suburban enclaves) and AT&T's service throughout all of the Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego counties is superb. And it should be: San Diego was one of AT&T's first 3G test cities and Los Angeles was one of their first cities with the newer 7.2mbps HSPA networks. People have good cause in other areas to gripe about AT&T's service and coverage, but you don't hear that from SoCal. My guess is that when you claim to live in a 'metro' SoCal area you're either from a semi-ghetto like Bakersfield or Riverside, OR you're just spouting off for no good reason.

I'm so glad I live in the UK where networks all use the same standards.

No network is perfect and you get different reception in different areas.

For me I chose T-Mobile as there network is fastest (for me) and their price plans and service are great, other people chose different networks. It's their choice.

From a purely selfish point of view I hope verizon don't get the iPhone and to answer the person who asked why anyone should care it's because in order to use verizon Apple will have to use a dual mode chip which are usually adequate for both but not the best at either..

It will be interesting to see how bad verizon get if they do get the iPhone.

We have it lucky here in the UK as it is a much smaller area so the big four have coverage over most of the country. Not so easy in the USA.

Good luck
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    I have a hard time believing they have spent 36 billion on the network alone. They may have spent 36 billion company wide as a total, but definitely not on the network and it's coverage alone. And they have been touting how you can talk and surf at the same time but that's not entirely true, as soon as I make a call all of my data connection goes away on EDGE. On 3G you can talk and surf but for some reason I can't on EDGE where I live.
    Edge doesn't support this. What they are "touting" is their 3G network, hence they are able to say that you can surf data while on a call...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Speaking of data/voice integration. How is Verizon going to handle that? As it is now, people may not see it but data/voice on the iPhone is pretty seamless and is used more often then one would assume. With the iPhone 4G coming with video conferencing, the function will require both data and voice to work. Does Verizon plan on upgrading its capabilities to allow both data and voice integration? If not, then I don't see the iPhone going to Verizon.

Thanks

i find it hard to believe after all the bashing commercials that they would just hold hands and make up. Apple just bashed them i dont think they would turn around and be like oh now buy from Verizon now.....

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    At&t has the WORST absolute WORSE customer service as well as cellular service. This has already been established by several articles on this forum in the past month.
    Depends where you live though. My service is great and i can't complain. So even if verizon does offer the iPhone i'm sticking with AT&T. Besides they're cheaper than the V.

Quote Originally Posted by ca3 View Post
    i find it hard to believe after all the bashing commercials that they would just hold hands and make up. Apple just bashed them i dont think they would turn around and be like oh now buy from Verizon now.....
    Because the droid was not all that favorable. They put soo hype into that robot phone and it never accomplished anything great. And now they want the iPhone because it's still the preferred phone over their acclaimed "droid does" phone.
    Last edited by hollow0; 12-19-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hollow0 For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (12-20-2009)

Can't Wait this to happen. i always have a drop calls no coverage in my area.Your world undeliveredd from AT&T.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone49er View Post
    a bunch of you sound like whiny b*tches honestly. if you're happy with AT&T why do you even care if Verizon gets the iPhone or not? it's not gonna affect you in the least bit.
    I am an AT&T customer and it will directly effect me if Verizon gets the iPhone. It will cause two companies to compete with each other over plan pricing. I will be the winner.

Verizon touts a large 3G network that has slow data speeds. I have used them and AT&T and AT&T's 3G blows Verizon away. Who cares if Verizon has a larger 3G footprint when I have the same coverage with Edge?

Verizon could not handle the iPhones being dropped on their network right now, but they have time to play catch up in case they do get it.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Edge doesn't support this. What they are "touting" is their 3G network, hence they are able to say that you can surf data while on a call...
    Okay, my screwup. But the whole point of their commercials is that they have the ability to surf and talk at the same time. Which is true IF you have 3G service. They have been completely ignoring this fact in every response ad they've run to Verizons claim, which can and most likely does give people a false impression of their network being able to do that as a whole. Nowhere in either Apples ads or AT&Ts ads do they say this in any way, shape, or form. They leave that tidbit of information out of their commercials completely. This has been the problem with AT&T commercials as of late. They say they have the ability, Verizon says their network doesn't cover anywhere near what they do 3G-wise, and AT&T and Apple have acted like they never brought it up. That is a huge bit of potential false advertising on their part while Verizon hasn't given any incomplete information at all. Hell, AT&T sued them for pointing it out. It pisses me off to see them blatantly ignore this fact and present their service coverage with such a glaring omission. No matter what way AT&T wants to spin their statements it's a flat out diseginuous way to talk to a paying customer. Full stop.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 12-20-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Why can't this forum automatically subscribe you to a thread? Is it really that hard to do?

All the commercial says is that their network is capable of doing voice and data simultaneously. Is it false advertising because they don't mention it's only under 3G service? I don't think so because Verizon's network isn't capable of doing it at all.

Let's compare apples to apples. The ads from both providers focus on the 3G portions of their networks.

And the fact is that the majority of ATT users do in fact have 3G service most of the time, so I think you're splitting hairs here.
    Last edited by bigdefense77; 12-20-2009 at 05:10 PM.

For all of you with AT&T and have BlackSn0w installed, you WILL get dropped calls because of BlackSn0w!!!!!

Don't blame those on AT&T. It a bug in BlackSn0w that doesn't handle Voice and Data at the same time correctly, and causes the phone to loose signal for a second or longer, and drops the call!!! (IE mail downloads something from the server, can drop the call)

I have seen this on many 3G and 3Gs's.

Uninstall BlackSn0w, and you will notice much less dropped calls!!! (Can still use BlackRa1n, the jailbreak is fine, only the unlock is flawed) If you are using it on AT&T, you won't need it anyway.... Unless the iphone isn't from AT&T.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilexile View Post
    All providers have their shortcomings.

Why is a switch to Verizon such a big deal? Simple, their CDMA network is so,ooo,ooo,ooo much aster than AT&T Wingular's duct tape network. They've become HORRIBLE, especially for the price.
    there was just a post recently about how a website did a test on vs verizons 3g and at&t's 3g. the at&t ended being a little bit more faster in all areas.

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    I absolutely love the people complaining about the ETF. How about actually fulfilling a contract that you signed instead of looking for a quick way out?

It's like society has no sense of completing an obligation to pay for a service.
    I know the subject of ETF died, but I hate it when your uninformed. EVERYONE should complain about the contracts. Only 2 countries use contracts, everyone else you buy the phone then goto whichever carrier you want. BTW the other country in North Korea...

Only two countries use contracts?
    I didn't know that the UK was now part of the USA - or are we part of North Korea?
    Most other countries in Europe also have contracts and subsidised phones. In the UK you have a choice but the vast majority of phones are sold on contract.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I hate it when the "uninformed" speak to the "uninformed" but think they are informed.

(I am kidding)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast