+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Says They "Could Handle" iPhone in 2010

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I personally love AT&Ts customer service. Friendly and very knowledgeable from what I've had to deal with. Even with AT&Ts crappy service in this area I will NOT go to
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I personally love AT&Ts customer service. Friendly and very knowledgeable from what I've had to deal with. Even with AT&Ts crappy service in this area I will NOT go to Verizon. I've known so many people that hate their service overall I can't think of switching.

The biggest thing I fear with multiple carriers is the jailbreak. How in the hell will that work out? Cause I'll never have an unjailbroken iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Haha.. I'm going to laugh when Verizon's network has a masseive influx of data usage and becomes awful. Part of the reason their network is "so much better" than ATT is they don't have to handle nearly as much data.

Is ATTs network great? Probably not, but what do you expect when the amount of data on their networks has grown exponentially year after year? I know you all saw the article that said ATT is faster, has more signal strength, and less dropped calls than Verizon in the cities some private company tested in. Yeah, maybe ATT sucks if you live in east bumfuck, and maybe Verizon is a better solution in that rare case. But overall ATT has a better network if you don't live in a rural areal.

I've had T-Mo, Sprint, and ATT and as far as I can tell ATT is by far the best I've ever used. But then again I don't live in the middle of nowhere.

Also, I hope all of you that are so eager to switch to VZN enjoy your $350 Early Termination Fee.
    Last edited by bigdefense77; 12-18-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks

Verizon is so much better than AT&T. Anything, This move would boost Apple sale.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ufcsean's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post

Reports have been coming for some time that the exclusive deal Apple negotiated with AT&T will end in the coming year. Without knowing for sure if that will come to pass, though, Verizon Wireless says it's ready. According to a senior executive, the carrier has made the changes it would need to make to its network in order to handle what would obviously be a new surge in data traffic.

“Absolutely, I think we could handle it,” Verizon Wireless CTO Anthony Melone told Bloomberg BusinessWeek. The second-largest carrier in the United States has been buying other companies to augment its network operations, having paid $27 billion to buy Alltel this year. In picking up the rural carrier, it's added a network with good coverage in the Southeast United States as well as California, Nevada, and Arizona.

Verizon has spent about $19 billion on its network over the past three years, while AT&T has actually spent less on its network since the iPhone launch than it had before. While AT&T was recently rated the worst carrier in terms of customer satisfaction, Verizon took first place in that survey "It comes down to backing that process with money," Melone told BusinessWeek. "We've been more consistent than any carrier in the last 10 years investing year over year."

Making the iPhone compatible Verizon's CDMA network would require completely different hardware than the current UMTS/GSM device. It's been rumored that a dual-mode phone - with a new chip made by Qualcomm - is being prepared for the second half of next year. It's unknown if such a phone would be ready in time, but obviously Verizon is not waiting to find out.

image via the momentum of failure
    awesome

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    Verizon is so much better than AT&T. Anything, This move would boost Apple sale.

How so? I'd love to know what people base this on.

Customer Service reviews from people that primarily use only voice on their VZN phones?

Thanks

Did anyone actually pay attention to the chart of how much AT&T has been spending on their network? It seems everyone just looked at the bars going down.

AT&T spent at least $3 billion on their network in almost every quarter. $3 billion times 4 quarters over 3 years is at least $36 billion in 3 years. Verizon spent about half of that in the same time.

Yes, Verizon spent $27 billion on Alltel, but they got 15 million new paying customers in that deal, and boosted their coverage in rural areas without any work on their part. AT&T doesn't even have that option. The only other GSM carrier big enough to bother with (T-Mobile) won't improve their coverage, and will only add a bunch of cheap customers who can't afford AT&T plans.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

Verizon sucks, wah wah wah... Do I sound like an anti-AT&T fanboy with my incessant ******** about the dumbest things yet?
    Respect your elders.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sn0ws View Post
    but I mean 95% of people with verizon don't even know when they are on 3G or Edge and most of them don't even know the difference.

You are incorrect. 100% of people with verizon wouldn't know if they are on 3g or Edge because CDMA (VZW and Sprint) do not have edge. CDMA's version of EDGE is 1xrtt or 1x for short. Also Verizon and Sprints 3g network is EVDO Rev. A while AT&T's is UMTS. Totally different technology's. That is why our wireless sucks in the states because of two different technology's. LTE AFAIK should make things a lil easier on us tho. On the positive side it does or at least should create competition.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    AT&T spent at least $3 billion on their network in almost every quarter. $3 billion times 4 quarters over 3 years is at least $36 billion in 3 years.
    I have a hard time believing they have spent 36 billion on the network alone. They may have spent 36 billion company wide as a total, but definitely not on the network and it's coverage alone. And they have been touting how you can talk and surf at the same time but that's not entirely true, as soon as I make a call all of my data connection goes away on EDGE. On 3G you can talk and surf but for some reason I can't on EDGE where I live.

Thanks

Verizon sucks over where i live around u have a company phone and my T-mobile phone gets service the whole way on a trip and Verizon doesn't get Crap

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    Ok, where are your facts? Do you know VZW is rolling out LTE (4G) next year and by 2011 it should be rolled out across their coverage area. Are you going to tell me LTE (4G) can't handle what AT&T 3G can't handle now?
    And ATT is rolling out their LTE network in 2011 also.
    AT&T plans to begin LTE trials in 2010, with deployment beginning in 2011.
    So Verizon may have a partial year above ATT on LTE technology.

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    Apple is opening the iPhone up to other carriers across the globe and there is no reason to think they won't do the same here.
    They are rolling it out across the globe on GSM technology. Verizon had it's chance long before ATT/Cingular but they turned Apple down because Apple wanted full control, but Verizon wanted to do the usual stuff to the interface and services. If they had been more giving with the gui stuff back then then the iPhone game might have been different.

Source: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=26835
    Last edited by Cer0; 12-18-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks

I was told that T-Mobile has a faster 3G network than both AT&T and Verizon. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would like to know if this is true.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

^^Not true.
    Lol I wonder if sprint wants to get in this conversion when they roll out 4g for phones

Thanks

How do you know? Did you research it? The reason why I ask is because a friend of mine is a supervisor for T-Mobile customer service and she don't lie very often. And I really want to know how true it is. Anybody? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

AT&T and verizons is just faster. Just ask and ull see.
    At least I'm pretty sure

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lll2for3lll View Post
    How do you know? Did you research it? The reason why I ask is because a friend of mine is a supervisor for T-Mobile customer service and she don't lie very often. And I really want to know how true it is. Anybody? Thanks.
    There was a study done and AT&T does have a faster 3G network then both Verizon and T-Mobile. She may not be lying to her knowledge, she could just be mis-informed.

Root Wireless did testing of 3G network performance in Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, San Francisco and Washington, DC, and its results were conclusive: AT&T's 3G downloads were faster than Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile's in each of those seven cities.
    Last edited by addictedto3gs; 12-18-2009 at 09:37 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I will go back to verizon in a heartbeat if they get the Iphone. In my area there is no 3g coverage and really spotty edge.With verizon I would have 3g so I don't care if at&t has faster or not because most people can't get there 3g coverage anyway.

Thanks

*sigh*
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by addictedto3gs View Post
    There was a study done and AT&T does have a faster 3G network then both Verizon and T-Mobile. She may not be lying to her knowledge, she could just be mis-informed.
    Thanks mann

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lll2for3lll View Post
    As far as I know, T-mobile has a much smaller coverage area than AT&T, they do have 3G and whether or not this lack of coverage affects the overall speed of the network I do not know, I do remember their EDGE network being painfully slow though, much slower than AT&T's.