+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rdio iPhone App Teases Streaming Music Service

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The forthcoming release of streaming music service Rdio has stolen much of the thunder reserved for next year's launch of Spotify. As a report on 9to5Mac indicated this morning, the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 565 Posts

Default Rdio iPhone App Teases Streaming Music Service

The forthcoming release of streaming music service Rdio has stolen much of the thunder reserved for next year's launch of Spotify. As a report on 9to5Mac indicated this morning, the makers of Rdio (who, by the way, similarly pioneered a few other cool services you may have heard of - like Skype and Kazaa) are teasing the service with a new application revealing that the excitement surrounding Rdio may not be exaggerated.

Rdio is like carrying a giant MP3 player in your pocket. You have unlimited and unrestricted access to all the music, and you get to select exactly the song, album or artist you want to hear.
    But in the Washington Post (courtesy of TechCrunch), the headline ("Rdio Launches iPhone App That You Can't Use Yet") takes a playful jab at the new Rdio app, which has been unveiled before Rdio even begins taking public beta registrations. Its lack of availability, however, hasn't stopped the creators of Rdio from aggressively pushing the free iPhone application that has certainly left many excited, but also scratching their heads.

Since it requires a login, only private beta testers are able to give the app a whirl for the time being
    The only logical explanation for the app's premature arrival is to get people talking about what Rdio will be able to do. According to its makers, the new streaming music service will enable users to control the music being played (e.g., pause, skip, fast forward, etc.) or, much like an on-demand movie service, select any song to begin playing instantly. "Song lists" can be built via Rdio.com. According to Music Ally, additional features will include unlimited playlists and notifications.

So when will Rdio formally launch in order for the world to discover if the service can actually live up to the hype?
    For now, we're simply being told "soon." The stealthy start-up and, some say, Spotify killer, could very well dominate the streaming music market by the end of 2010.

Image via 9to5Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

Ehhhh... I'm not sure if this is cool. Or pointless. I guess I'd need to test it

Thanks

if this works like spotify does on my computer, count me in

Thanks

probably had to get it out ASAP so that when apple drops their 'radio' app they won't be able to reject it for being too similar! haha.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting. I just gave them my email address to keep me posted on the product. I'd love to get in on this...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

I'm hoping for no monthly fee

Thanks

i use tunin.fm, which is an app that streams live hd radio, w/music genres of all kinds, brodcasted from all over.

i guess i should note [on topic] rdio does look pretty sweet. cant wait for it to come out.
    killall Terminal[]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

hollow0 (12-19-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

call me old fashioned but what about pandora that is hands down THE BEST. If this makes it so you can have a play list of songs rather than a radio station with a ton of tags and HOPE your song comes up then thats it, thats all everyone wants pandora has kept my 16gig iphone virtualy music free and it looks like this will polish off the little i keep on hand, its intresting how phones have gone from OH WOW camera, to WHAT music AND camera, to what we have now your **** isnt cool if you cant play music while taking a picture while automaticaly updateing every social networking site known to man that you just played a race game ON your cell phone over wifi against a kid in london and won. All we are missing now is a kitchen sink

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    i use tunin.fm, which is an app that streams live hd radio, w/music genres of all kinds, brodcasted from all over.

i guess i should note [on topic] rdio does look pretty sweet. cant wait for it to come out.
    I'll check that out.

What will you do now Mr. Steve Jobs? With all of these streaming apps available one would think we will need faster hardware? Faster data connections... hence 7.2 HSPDA?? And what of AT&T? How will they react to all of these streaming apps??? Soooo many questions and sooo many unanswered!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silent revolt View Post
    call me old fashioned but what about pandora that is hands down THE BEST. If this makes it so you can have a play list of songs rather than a radio station with a ton of tags and HOPE your song comes up then thats it, thats all everyone wants pandora has kept my 16gig iphone virtualy music free and it looks like this will polish off the little i keep on hand......
    naw, your not old fashioned. ive got pandora as well. and it also keeps my iphone free of space hogging music. just forgot to mention is all.
    killall Terminal[]