+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone To Get Built-In VNC Remote Capabilities To Control Your Computer

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default iPhone To Get Built-In VNC Remote Capabilities To Control Your Computer

Before you get your panties in a bunch, yes, this functionality has been available to us for some time. I've been using Jaadu VNC for awhile which works pretty good. Can be a little time consuming, but the ability to control your PC from anywhere is great feature for iPhone users. There are of course a number of other apps that do similar functions, however it appears as though Apple is looking to make this a feature that is built into the iPhone.

Yesterday the USPTO published a unique granted patent, filed on behalf of Apple, that provides insight into the Apple's potential plans. The patent is titled “Remote control of electronic devices” and the goes on to say that a device is in the works that would let you use your mobile device to remotely control your home computer.

“A controlling device (e.g., a telephony device) can remotely control various tasks associated with a controlled device (e.g., a personal computer), including the navigation of user interfaces associated with applications or an operating system associated with the controlled device. A task can be controlled at the controlled device by mapping user input received at the controlling device to control commands suitable for execution at the controlled device.”
    The entire application is currently available here. Apple credits John O. Louch, Eric Seymour and Michael Shebanek as the inventors of Granted Patent 7,634,263.

So far I've been quite satisfied with the options currently available for VNC connections, but I am definitely looking forward to something more "official" and supported by Apple.

Images from [PatentlyApple]. Thanks to ndlela for the tip.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

1st

2nd too

im happy with my VNC connection. I dont see how this is going to be better.
    Last edited by sandstorm77; 12-16-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm77

2nd too
    Fail - love automerge :-)

but I am very happy with options we have now, although a native app is welcome to save some of us a few bucks
    Is my girlfriend the only one that gets mad at me because I spend too much time with my iPhone?

Thanks

Its nice that apple is incorporating this in the phone... My thing is, instead of worrying about controlling other electronic devices (i.e home pc) why not focus on topics such as, allowing users to customize their.. I know we can already but when theres a problem I have to go through making sure my info is backed up before driving 30min to the Apple store..

What about extending battery life? jaadu is great. I use UltraVnc and it works just as well..

No problems here.. I can view from my network or at a starbucks...

Thanks for the update
    JayRizzie

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

This makes the iPhone even more compelling for enterprise use, than it already is. The more the merrier.

iPhone? More like MyPhone elr0y7's Avatar
    Thanks

For some reason I have a feeling this will only work with Apple computers if Apple makes it official.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Jaadu rdp is great as u can stream audio from ur pc to the phone. I use Logmein ignition as it seems fastest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elr0y7 View Post
    For some reason I have a feeling this will only work with Apple computers if Apple makes it official.
    Well....... I believe vnc comes built in with OSX but you can download it on Windows

Thanks

ahhhhhhh.....YEEEEAAAAAAAAH boy. sup dogs. its your bizzle.

on a real standpont though. this is awesome news and a nice step in a better direction for apple.
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

VNC has always been slow even on PCs. But hopefully, it won't be too much slower than the app that is currently available. I like the idea but to be honest I've used it in the past and never again. But...i would like the built in function to control my TVs and other devices via IR! I'd much rather that.

Thanks

Sounds EARLY GREAT

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

native vnc... Finally!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...